[comp.sys.mac.apps] MS Word Change Problem. Maybe a solution?

a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (09/09/90)

I also recommend the Varitype FontWizard DA to see what the hex or decimal code
for a given character in any font is.  This DA gives a lot of interesting info
on the fonts you have installed, and seems able to extract the info from any
font I have tried out (about 78 so far).  This and the "quote" function in Word
4.0 (? command -shift -Q?) have helped delete a lot of little boxes in imported
documents, and have shown me what the little box was supposed to be.

The procedure is to hilite the little box, and use Word's command to display
the ascii code (ah, yes: command-option-Q) and the dewcimal code will appear in
the lower left corner of the screen.  Then use FontWizard to see what that code
should represent.  Good Luck.

cth_larsen@tekno.chalmers.se (09/10/90)

In article <1990Sep10.162820.2790@csc.anu.oz>, ndg503@csc.anu.oz writes:
> Gday,
>
> 	One of the guys here has a problem with trying to change
> something in his Microsoft Word documents.  The system configuration
> is IIcx, 6.0.4 with Word 4.00A.
> 	At present he has an old thesis which has been converted
> from a PC disk. Unfortunately, there are a number of these special
> characters (mainly control characters and the like) that appear
> instead of characters in special fonts, like alphas and betas, etc.
*
* Try using Apple File Conversion if you want these control characters to
* deleted permanently from the document. Use the DCA-RTF to MacWrite option
* and also check the menu alternative Text conversion.
*
> 	He would like to change these special characters whilst
> using something like Change (under the Utilities menu), but when
> he copies in from the Clipboard the character alpha it appears as
> the letter "a". So he can't do the change. Can anyone help?
*
* You can specify an ASCII number instead of the specific character in the
* Change dialog. Look in the help file or use ASCII-DA II, a DA which you can
* get a sumex, to find the ASCII equivalent for the character to change.
* Use the caret ^ character and then the ASCII code, e.g. SPC=^032.
*

> Thanks in advance.
*
* Arthur T. Larsen		Chalmers Industriteknik
				Chalmers Technical Park
				S - 412 88  Gothenburg
				E-Mail: larsen@cit.chalmer.se

Good luck!