[comp.sys.mac.apps] matlab for the Mac

jdm@boulder.Colorado.EDU (James D. Meiss) (09/11/90)

In article <25352@boulder.Colorado.EDU> I wrote:

>	Does anyone know of a version of "matlab" which runs on
>the Mac?
>	        Jim Meiss
>        	Program in Applied Mathematics
>      	 	jdm@boulder.colorado.edu

Thanks for all the replies. There are at least two versions, a commercial
and public domain one. I ftp'd the public domain one (see below), and am
getting Math Works to send info about the commercial one.

Here is a summary of the responses:

David Gutierrez <an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu>

Matlab <TM> is a product from The Math Works, Inc.
21 Eliot Street
South Natick, MA 01760
Phone: (508) 653-1415  Fax: (508) 653-2997

They have an ad in the July issue of IEEE Spectrum on page 14A, it says
that it supports:
	Macintosh, Sun, Apollo, HP 9000/300, DECstation, VAX/VMS or Ultrix
	Stardent, Convex, Encore, Alliant, Cray,
	and of course the PCs, ATs, 386-PCs.

You can get Matlab for the Mac for $395 (educational price)
---
Jim Flanagan <flanagan@stat.washington.edu>
 Actually Matlab on the Mac is really quite superior to any other platform
 I've used it on.
----
scott j bury <sjbury@owlnet.rice.edu>

 One small point, the version I like so much is running on a IIcx or more
importantly an 030 (or 020) and 882 (or 881) enivironment. They include
a version for the SE which is really only useful for light work.
However if you have a 030 machine it does some serious number crunching.
A mag review said it is unmatched for numerical throughput on the MAC.
Public Domain version:
----
Bob Crossett <crossett@eleazar.dartmouth.edu>

Matlab does exist for the Mac.  I used it at the Univ. of CA at Santa Barbara
two summers ago running in a lab of Mac  IIcxs.  There may have been a version
for the SE lab as well.  Try contacting UCSB for help!
-----
Jan Deleeuw <deleeuw@math.ucla.edu>
There is a very good and completely free version of Matlab, called MatC,
for the Mac. It is written in C, comes with sourcecode, is easily
to extend with additional build-ins, has Mac graphics (2dim, 3dim).
Order from
Fran Karmitz
L-496, Lawrence Livermore National Lab
PO Box 5504
Livermore, CA 94550.

ftp from peabody.llnl.gov (128.115.53.1).
 Do cd matc/mac, and then get AAREADME. The directory does not have ls.