[comp.sys.mac.apps] After Dark 2.0c - WOW!

mouse@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (Dhanapong Saengrussamee-University of North Texas) (09/06/90)

--
I just got my upgrade this morning, finally.  Installed it.  Then I was on
AppleLink and Compu$erve earlier this afternoon, and it is woking fine here.

I thought I heard something about a bug in the MacWorld version.  Somebody
mentioned it on the net.  May be it just a dream.  Bruce, AfterDark guy,
correct me if I am wrong.  8^(

Also what I got is 2.0s.  Modified date is August 18, 1990.  94,067 bytes.
Follows the alphabet list, yours is more than a dozen off!  8^)

__Mouse.o()~

Dhanapong Saengrussamee       | AppleLink: U1364 | BITNET: mouse@untvax
Technical Support, CECS Dept. | BIX: d.mouse.s | Compu$erve: 71301,1516
University of North Texas     | Internet: mouse@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
PO Box 5155 - UNT Station     | UUCP: ...!uunet!ntvax!vaxb.acs.unt.edu!mouse
Denton, TX 76203-5155         | Phone: (817) 565-4435 | FAX: (817) 565-4425

dpaight@weber.ucsd.edu (Daniel Paight) (09/06/90)

DS> Also what I got is 2.0s. Modified date is August 18, 1990.
DS> 94,067 bytes. Follows the alphabet list, yours is more than
DS> a dozen off! 8^)

Hmm. My copy (purchased from Egghead a week ago) says 2.0h. Haven't
had any problems with crashes.

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (09/07/90)

In article <2887@network.ucsd.edu> dpaight@weber.ucsd.edu (Daniel Paight) writes:
>DS> Also what I got is 2.0s. Modified date is August 18, 1990.

>Hmm. My copy (purchased from Egghead a week ago) says 2.0h. Haven't
>had any problems with crashes.

I mentioned having 2.0h about a week ago, and received a letter from
the author (Bruce Burkhalter ??? I think). He described the usual
"find a bug, fix a bug, cause a bug" scenario, but what it boils
down to is 2.0h is better than previous, but has a bug, 2.0s is current.

My 2.0s is in the mail. Contact Berkeley Systems, yours will be too.

jimb

P.S. I got my ResEdit 2.0b2 with manual from APDA. So they're shipping
now.
--
Jim Budler          jimb@silvlis.com       +1.408.991.6061
Silvar-Lisco, Inc. 703 E. Evelyn Ave. Sunnyvale, Ca. 94086

news@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU (Six o'clock News) (09/09/90)

From: bruce@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Bruce Burkhalter)

The "bug" we fixed was actually protection against programs that do bad
things, mainly sound.  There are two ways to do sound on the Mac, the good
Apple supported way and the bad unsupported way.

If a program is doing sound the good way (like AD 2.0) and somebody tries
to play sound the bad way, the Mac will crash or do something bad. After
AD 2.0 and AD 2.0h came out we found there were a fair number of programs that
do sound the bad way.  So now AD 2.0s tries to keep this from happening.

Even though the problem is not really ours, people will keep the program
that is more important and nuke the one that is not as important (AD 2.0).
There is nothing wrong with this.  I would do the same.

So instead of waiting for other companies to fix their programs, it is
easier for us to try to avoid them.

Bruce Burkhalter
Berkeley Systems, Inc.

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (09/11/90)

I have noticed a problem with AD 2.0 that is pretty consistent.

I often power up my Mac II and walk away to let it boot up (it takes a
while, unfortunately).  I do this with the monitor off.

Now, sometimes, when I come back and flip on the monitor, I see the
Fish! message "Fish Initializing, hold on..." (loose paraphrase).

The problem is, the Mac's hung; it never comes back.

this has happend 4 or 5 times recently, and always with Fish!

Since I'm using Random, and I like Fish! (it works fine all other
times), I don't want to remove it.

Any idea what's wrong?

jas

Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu   DELPHI: JSULLIVAN	| University of Southern California

ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Philip Wong) (09/11/90)

I turned off the messages module and haven't had any crashes since.
It seems that there is a conflict with ATM.  The module hangs the
computer with the message half onscreen (after leaving the computer unattended for long periods of time).

ins_apw@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu

dpaight@weber.ucsd.edu (Daniel Paight) (09/11/90)

In article <6380@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_apw@jhunix.UUCP (Philip Wong) writes:
>I turned off the messages module and haven't had any crashes since.
>It seems that there is a conflict with ATM.  The module hangs the
>computer with the message half onscreen (after leaving the computer unattended for long periods of time).
>
>ins_apw@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu

I also use ATM with the message module (AD 2.0h). Have never had an
After-Dark-related crash. And yes, the module is using ATM to scale
the font. 72-point Times Bold Italic: Back to Work!

news@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU (Six o'clock News) (09/12/90)

From: bruce@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Bruce Burkhalter)

Phillip -

	Please call us!!!!!

	We did a lot of testing with ATM and AD 2.0, especially Messages.
	While we don't know of any problem, you may have  found one.
	Either way, I don't want AD 2.0 crashing for any reason.

	Bruce Burkhalter

aloh@earthquake.Berkeley.EDU (Andy Loh) (09/12/90)

In article <27692@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> :
>>It seems that there is a conflict with ATM.  The module hangs the
>>computer with the message half onscreen (after leaving the computer unattended
 for long periods of time).

I had a similar problem with the picture module.  The picture that I
created with a paint program requires ATM to generate the text.  If
I don't use ATM for anything before activating AD, the Mac (IIcx)
hangs.  However, if I use ATM for anything first, then there's usually
no problem.

Andy (aloh@ocf.berkeley.edu)

From: bruce@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Bruce Burkhalter)

I am not sure I understand the sequence.  Let me know if I am wrong.
You create a picture  in a paint program that has text in it. You then
display this picture in AD with the Picture Frame module.  If you display
the picture with AD before using ATM, the Mac will crash when AD kicks in.
If ATM has been used, then the Mac will not crash.  Is this correct?

What paint program are you using?

Bruce Burkhalter
Berkeley Systems, Inc.

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (09/14/90)

In article <6380@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_apw@jhunix.UUCP (Philip Wong) writes:
>I turned off the messages module and haven't had any crashes since.
>It seems that there is a conflict with ATM.  The module hangs the
>computer with the message half onscreen (after leaving the computer unattended for long periods of time).

	I think this is one problem thati is fixed with the latest
	version of AD2.0s. I spotted this problem on a friends Mac
	and indicated that he might not have the latest version and
	when he received the upgrade, the problem went away... I
	don't know if this is the same problem you have, but you
	might make sure that you are using AD 2.0s.

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.