[comp.sys.mac.apps] WriteNow 2.x limitation

phil@waikato.ac.nz (09/11/90)

WriteNow 2.0 and 2.2 have an annoying "feature".  This is that it will only
accept graphics that are <32K.  I have reported the problem to T Maker via the
NZ agents, but neither them nor us have heard any response.  Anyone out there
heard anything from them about it?

I've also got another problem with PostSript errors when printing a WriteNow
2.0 document.  More details when I narrow it down.
--
Phil Etheridge (phil@waikato.ac.nz)                 /\  /\   -+-,--, .--, ._
Computer Services/Mathematics & Statistics         /  \/  \  / /--< /--  /

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (09/13/90)

But PICT resources can't be any bigger than 32K (see QD chapter in IM I)
so how do you generate them?

Kevin Purcell             | kpurcell@liverpool.ac.uk
Surface Science Centre    |
Liverpool University      | Omit needless words.

phil@anduin.cs.liverpool.ac.uk (Phil Jimmieson) (09/13/90)

In article <90255.180525KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK>, <KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK> writes:
> But PICT resources can't be any bigger than 32K (see QD chapter in IM I)
> so how do you generate them?

No longer true - see TN 154 "Displaying large PICT files"  Basically 128K ROMS
and above just read PICTs until they get to the end-of-picture opcode, the
length bytes are ignored.

Phil Jimmieson,           ***************************************************
Computer Science Dept.,   * JANET    : phil@uk.ac.liv.cs.and                *
Liverpool University,     * INTERNET : phil@and.cs.liv.ac.uk                *
PO Box 147                ***************************************************
Liverpool  L69  3BX    "This message contains wit, sophistication, class,
(UK) 051-794-3689       style, and 3 other words I don't understand as well..."

rajiv@ee.rochester.edu (Rajiv Arora) (09/14/90)

In article <1527.26ecfa5d@waikato.ac.nz> phil@waikato.ac.nz writes:

>WriteNow 2.0 and 2.2 have an annoying "feature".  This is that it will only
>accept graphics that are <32K.  I have reported the problem to T Maker via the
>NZ agents, but neither them nor us have heard any response.  Anyone out there
>heard anything from them about it?

I have encountered this problem before and have talked to T/Maker technical
support. I was told that it would be fixed in a future version. Judging by the
time between v2.0 and v2.2, don't hold your breath! The impression I get is
that T/Maker's primary goal with WriteNow is speed, and not features. I
complained to them about not being able to create truly variable sized headers
and footers, and they said it would slow down repagination tremendously.

All in all, WN is a wonderful product, but it is a *basic* wordprocessor. I'm
thinking of upgrading to Nisus, but what's this I hear: Nisus doesn't read
WriteNow or RTF files?! For shame, PARAGON! How are we supposed to convert
files?

Rajiv Arora
--
Addresses: