[comp.sys.mac.apps] Whats the best low end data base program?

glennc@gap.caltech.edu (Glenn C. Smith) (09/12/90)

What's the best low end data base program?

I've got to set up a student mailing list, a file to track
band members and instruments, and an invoice system for a
music department.  Does anyone have any recommendations
on what program to use?  I've only done high end stuff
(like with 4D, which is out of these people's price range)
and don't know much about the lower end software.

Is Claris's Filemaker the best?  Microsoft file?  Can anyone
run down the big names?  Are these all flat file systems?

Any advice is welcome.  I thank you and the music department
thanks you!

                                             Glenn Smith

Glenn C. Smith                      |  "It is a weak mind that can think
California Institute of Technology  |   of only one way to spell a word."
glennc@ccoroadd.caltech.edu         | --- "Build high for happiness." ---

jennerr@darwin.ntu.edu.au (09/12/90)

In article <glennc.653093947@gap>, glennc@gap.caltech.edu (Glenn C. Smith) writes:

> What's the best low end data base program?

I would not be brave enough to say which is the *best* low end DB.
We use the data base section of MS Works for simple, flat d'base
work, especially for print merge jobs as it integrates smoothly
with the WP in works. Also the record selection technique is incredibly
easy to teach to office staff, as is reporting.

For Pseudo-relational work we use Filemaker II, soon to be upgraded
to F'maker ii pro. It's also excellent. MS File is getting a bit
dated now but plenty of people still use it. Best? who knows?
Regards..Bob Jenner...Northern Territory University

capnal@aqua.whoi.edu (Alan Duester) (09/16/90)

Contact:
Software Discoveries, Inc., 137 Krawski Dr., South Windsor, CT 06074
(203) 872-1024