[comp.sys.mac.apps] 4D runtimes & printing

georgeh@phred.UUCP (George Harmon) (09/18/90)

A couple of questions for any of you 4thDimension
whizzes while I play "catch me if you can" with
Acius.

First, why can't I open an application from its
own icon(by double clicking) using  Runtime 2.1?
I have to launch Runtime 2.1 then open the
appropriate db.

Second, on one Mac using 4D Runtime, 2.0.x and
2.1 only the LaserPrinter in his zone shows on
the Chooser.  No other printers show in any other zone.
??????????

Be grateful for any help.

francis@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) (09/18/90)

In article <3251@phred.UUCP> georgeh@phred.UUCP (George Harmon) writes:
>First, why can't I open an application from its
>own icon(by double clicking) using  Runtime 2.1?
>I have to launch Runtime 2.1 then open the
>appropriate db.

I don't know for certain if this is your problem, but it could be
related.  When I installed my 4d 2.1 last week (at last, a 4D of my
very own!), I was surprised to see that it was installed with a
generic application icon.  I nosed around a bit, and finally noticed
that the bundle bit wasn't set (to check this out, get info on the
application file in ResEdit).  I set it, and the icon showed up
normally.  I hadn't tried to open a file before that, but
double-clicking on a 4D file opens 4D up for me.

As much as I love 4D, I still wish someone would buy Fox Software and
Acius, and make Acius work on the user/programmer interface, and Fox
work on the guts.  I suspect that, between the interaction of the two
groups, we'd either get a nuclear explosion or the best database ever
seen on any platform.
--
R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu