[comp.sys.mac.apps] 11-point screen fonts

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (09/21/90)

How does one generate a good-looking font for screen display that is not
resident in the system file, e.g., if you don't have 11-point times?
Are there font utilities that do this-a *good* job of it?

My complete ignorance of the Macintosh marketplace is distressingly
evident, I realize.
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

                 "Was all of this because I wore a big man's hat?"

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (09/21/90)

In article <3136@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
>How does one generate a good-looking font for screen display that is not
>resident in the system file, e.g., if you don't have 11-point times?
>Are there font utilities that do this-a *good* job of it?

Buy Adobe Type Manager.  It'll generate your 11-point, 13-point, 113-point
and anything inbetween.  Granted, it's not going to be the same quality
of hand-tuned fonts at small sizes, but it's still perfectly acceptable
on the screen.  (Especially if you're used to the Apple distributed
screen fonts instead of the Adobe distributed screen fonts.)

Ken

--
Ken Hancock                   | This account needs a new home in MA...
Isle Systems                  | Can you provide a link for it?

laird@slum.MV.COM (Laird Heal) (09/23/90)

In article <3136@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
>How does one generate a good-looking font for screen display that is not
>resident in the system file, e.g., if you don't have 11-point times?
>Are there font utilities that do this-a *good* job of it?

Check out Adobe Type Manager, available very reasonably from anywhere you
might reasonably expect, and I don't want to surprise you but there are a
few add-on modules which work with it, some of which are also reasonably
priced.  A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon that adds up to real
money...

>My complete ignorance of the Macintosh marketplace is distressingly
>evident, I realize.

If you blink you'll miss it.  Adobe Type Manager is Display Postscript in
drag - the text part of it, anyway.  It likes memory, megabytes of memory.
People swear by it not at it.

There is another possibility but harder, with Fontographer or ResEdit if
it ever got its Font Editor tool right.  In somewhere between four and
eight hours, you can craft yourself an 11-point font.  By printing it on
an ImageWriter, you can be sure that it has exactly the spacing you need.

Maybe I should start the 'cliche of the day' club.
--
Laird Heal	laird@slum.MV.COM	The world is my office.
(Salem, NH)	+1 603 898 1406	<-----I charge for opinions, though.