[comp.sys.mac.apps] MS Word 4.0b and ATM 2.0

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (09/13/90)

I just receive ATM 2.0.  I tested it with a simple
MS word document to see how much faster it was and
found that is appeared twice as fast.

Test         Time to open document
====         =====================
no ATM       16 sec
ATM 1.2      42 sec
ATM 2.0      26 sec

Interestingly, I found that closing the document and
reopening it resulted in times of 16 seconds for
each test.  This is caused by ATM already having all
the fonts built up in memory.  The extra time
in the initial openning of the document is in
retrieving the fonts from disk.  On a Plus this
is very slow what with 3:1 interleave and the slow
SCSI Interface.

This points up the efficient use of the ATM font
cache.  If you have a small cache, ATM will purge
it to make room for more fonts.  This slows
things down when you access the first font again.
I keep my cache set at 416k.  Anyone else have
a better number?

QUESTION: The ATM 2.0 readme file states that
I should be using MS Word 4.0b with an ImageWriter
II to get proper font spacing.

Has anyone seen V4.0b?  We just received about
20 copies of MS Word and every one is V4.0
according to the about.... or the get info.

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:

>QUESTION: The ATM 2.0 readme file states that
>I should be using MS Word 4.0b with an ImageWriter
>II to get proper font spacing.

>Has anyone seen V4.0b?  We just received about
>20 copies of MS Word and every one is V4.0
>according to the about.... or the get info.
`
I just got off the phone with MicroSoft.  They
have just begun shipping 4.0b and it was given
to me free!  It may be because I am part of
a "fortune 1000 company" (in MS's words) or
that I professed to just purchasing 17 copies
of MS Word which were all V2.0 (which is the
truth).

MS says that you need V2.0b for file server
situations and ImageWriterII kerning.
=    John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Division           =
=                   e-mail: ...uunet!motcid!derosaj                         =
=                           motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net                     =
=                Applelink: N1111                                           =
= I do not hold by employer responsible for any information in this message =
=      nor am I responsible for anything my employer may do or say.         =

hermens@groucho (09/13/90)

       Much deleted here------------------

>QUESTION: The ATM 2.0 readme file states that
>I should be using MS Word 4.0b with an ImageWriter
>II to get proper font spacing.
>
>Has anyone seen V4.0b?  We just received about
>20 copies of MS Word and every one is V4.0
>according to the about.... or the get info.

I requested 4.0b from Microsoft some time ago.

The customer assistance person on the phone said that
"Word 4.0a is the same as 4.0b", and I received 4.0a
in the mail.  Hmmm...

Leonard

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep12.234423.11000@groucho> hermens@ted.cs.uidaho.edu (Leonard Hermens) writes:

>I requested 4.0b from Microsoft some time ago.
>
>The customer assistance person on the phone said that
>"Word 4.0a is the same as 4.0b", and I received 4.0a
>in the mail.  Hmmm...

              Tips for Dealing with Microsoft Corp.
           (or "How to Deal with Most Large Companies)
                  (c) Copyable 1990 Ken Hancock

1. Usually Microsoft is wrong.  Many customers who call up Microsoft,
believe it or not, know what they are talking about.  More often then
not, their customer support does not.  This leads us to (2).

2. Tell them they are wrong.  Let them know what you want.  If they
don't get it right the first time (usually the case, once again), then
call back (unfortunately, on your dime since customer/technical
support is a 206 number, not an 800).

3. Read MacWeek, UseNet, America Online, Compuserve, GEnie, or some
BBS.  Usually, information from other sources filters down fairly
quickly.  As a last resort, subscribe to MacUser or MacWorld.  The
information usually gets there sooner or later.  This step is
especially important in view of (1).  After all, wouldn't it be scary
if Customer Support actually started telling people the right thing?

4. Don't give up hope.  (This can be the hardest rule to follow.)

-----

On the Issue of Word 4.00B, it took me 3 times until they got it
right and sent me 4.00B.  (Yes, that means I have 3 copes of Word 4.00A
sitting around.  Free disks.)  4.00B has been around for quite some
time now -- if Customer Support is telling you that there's no
difference, ask to talk to their supervisor.  Fortunately,
supervisors are usually well-informed.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock                   | This account needs a new home in MA...
Isle Systems                  | Can you provide a link for it?

dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (09/14/90)

In article <24172@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) writes:

>On the Issue of Word 4.00B, it took me 3 times until they got it
>right and sent me 4.00B.  (Yes, that means I have 3 copes of Word 4.00A
>sitting around.  Free disks.)  4.00B has been around for quite some
>time now -- if Customer Support is telling you that there's no
>difference, ask to talk to their supervisor.  Fortunately,
>supervisors are usually well-informed.

Excuse my inattention, but what precisely are the differences between
4.00A and 4.00B?  Does anybody know?  Or has Microsoft been too
confused to tell us the difference?

--
David Walton            Internet: dwal@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep14.003804.13246@midway.uchicago.edu> dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) writes:
>In article <24172@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) writes:
>
>Excuse my inattention, but what precisely are the differences between
>4.00A and 4.00B?

Improved IIci compatability (read as: fewer crashes)
Fractional Widths enabled for Imagewriters
And of course, other "feature" fixes.  (We all know, of course,
that since Bill Gates told us MS Word 4.00 would be a bug-free
release, everything known as a bug is now a feature... :-)  )

Ken

--

dkletter@adobe.COM (It's all fun and games until someone PUTS AN EYE OUT) (09/16/90)

In article <4608@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:

>I keep my cache set at 416k.  Anyone else have
>a better number?

i keep my font cache at 256K on my cx which i think is more than
sufficient.

--
"Ein zwei drei vier... Steve oh yeah."

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (09/25/90)

In article <4608@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
>Has anyone seen V4.0b?  We just received about
>20 copies of MS Word and every one is V4.0
>according to the about.... or the get info.

The Word 4.0 upgrade package I recieved from Microsoft earlier this summer
[probably around May or June] contained 4.00B.

chaz

       "I Am The Reincarnation of Abraham Lincoln", Insists Prince.
                 			 -spew
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone