[comp.sys.mac.apps] VersaTerm / AddressBook conflict

bkuo@sal-sun75.usc.edu (Benjamin Kuo) (09/14/90)

Sounds exactly like a communications/serial port is being left open, and your
AddressBook application is attempting to open it somehow... Similar to the
problems I always have to face after running a MIDI application from the modem port and then trying to run Zterm.. (only a reboot, init patch, or opening
the chooser and re-selecting the printer port/etc. will reset it)

Try resetting your printer settings after leaving RR or Versaterm, and then
running AddressBook...

Michael.Burton@p3.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Michael Burton) (09/20/90)

   Carl K. Lim wrote:
> For some reason, AddressBook 2.1 (the application, not the DA) causes the
> system to crash when after VersaTerm has been used.  I think this happens
> with RedRyder also.  This doesn't seem to be a problem with the modem, since
> it crashes despite whether the modem was used.  Turning the modem off and
on
> doesn't help.  So it has to be the communication program that does something
> to the mac that irritates AddressBook.  Has this happen to anyone?  (I'm not
> sure if this topic has been discussed before)  Any help will greatly be
> appreciated.

   This sounds like an all-too-common problem that I discovered in other
software.  I don't have either VersaTerm or AddressBook 2.1, but I suspect
the problem is that AddressBook initializes the Mac's Window Manager before
initializing the Font Manager.  Inside Mac says this is a no-no, though it
apparently only causes problems under certain circumstances.
   The quick fix is to use a file editor like Fedit Plus or the Norton
Utilities disk editor.  Open AddressBook and search for the hex string
A912 A8FE.  If you don't find it, I'm wrong.  If you do find it, change
it to A8FE A912.  If your problems go away, you owe me a million dollars...
:-)
   (Of course, NEVER modify your only copy of a program.)

--
Michael Burton via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.3!Michael.Burton

ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Philip Wong) (09/24/90)

Well, you're kinda right.  First, the DA crashes much more often for me.  I
dont have the app crash.  What does happen, though, is the window of addresses
moves offscreen if I sometimes try to click the close window square.  And the
DA often freezes on me.
You're kinda right about the occurances of A912 and A8FE.  First of all, they
don't appear together like you implied (or i read incorrectally).  There
are five occurances of A912 (not in a row) before you encounter the first and
only occurance of A8FE.  There are more A912 afterwards also.  This is for the
application.  For the DA, there are no occurances of either A912 or A8FE.
Something is amiss, but we still don't know what.

ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU  <--use this address, not the UUCP one

EY28@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (09/25/90)

In article <6499@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Philip Wong)
says:

>Well, you're kinda right.  First, the DA crashes much more often for me.  I
>dont have the app crash.  What does happen, though, is the window of addresses
>moves offscreen if I sometimes try to click the close window square.  And the
>DA often freezes on me.
>Something is amiss, but we still don't know what.

Both the DA and the Application die for me (eventually). Although I use
Versa-Term (pro....but this was not stated in an earlier article) I have not
found it conclusively the cause of AddressBook to die. However, if I trash the
data file (stored in my system folder) and then try again....it works. This
only helps if you have a backup data file.
I have stopped using AB as I cannot put up with these repeated crashes.

Back to the Filofax!!!!  :-O

Dr. A.F. Calder, Dept. Materials Science, Liverpool University, England
 EMAIL: EY28@LIVERPOOL.UK.AC     - - - o   Radiation !
 PHONE: 051-794-5364              - - - o   Damage   !
   FAX: 051-794-4675               - - - o   Group   !