[comp.sys.mac.apps] Why is Farallon's MacRecorder 2.02 upgrade worth $50?

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (09/19/90)

Just got a note in the mail from Farallon about an upgrade to my MacRecorder
2.0 software, named MacRecorder 2.02.  They mention that it the upgrade lets
MR work with the IIfx, the IIci, and the Mac Portable; that a new user's
manual comes with it; and that it has the Farallon Sound driver, which
allows programs like Microsoft Mail and CE's QuickMail to use the
MacRecorder for direct sound input.  The upgrade is $50.

Well, I've got a Mac SE/30, and I don't use either of these mail systems.
Outside of the new manual, anyone know anything else that might make me want
to shell out $50 for new software?  (Admittedly, SoundEdit 2.0 is a gem
among programs...)

                           "New Orleans is a marvelous environment for
                            coincidence."
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft, hplsla, uiucuxc}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

chris@momenta (Chris Christensen) (09/22/90)

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:

>Just got a note in the mail from Farallon about an upgrade to my MacRecorder
>2.0 software, named MacRecorder 2.02.

I am equally curious about upgrading to 2.0 from 1.?. I lost the card they
sent. How much is it and what is the difference?

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (10/01/90)

Re: What was the differnce between MacRecorder 1.? and 2.0...

I don't remember the upgrade cost, but it was a fairly substantial upgrade.
Much better manual, worked with an SE/30 (my Mac type); more importantly,
SoundEdit had some fairly handy features added to it -- nothing
world-shattering, but some pretty helpful user interface features.  Also,
the HyperCard stacks were much improved.

                           "`Dear Agent Cooper: I killed Laura Palmer.
                            Signed, Leo Johnson.'  `Dear Agent Cooper:
                            Wondering if you got my first note re: my killing
                            of Laura Palmer.  Signed, Leo Johnson.'  `Dear
                            Agent Cooper: Why no response about me killing
                            Laura Palmer?  Are you still on the case?  If not,
                            please forward to proper authorities.  Signed, Leo
                            (the murderer of Laura Palmer) Johnson.'"
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft, hplsla, uiucuxc}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

janus@ux.acs.umn.edu (Louis Janus) (10/01/90)

In article <1990Sep30.194831.2115@tc.fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
One more great improvement is the inclusion of 11 (or so) XCMDs and XFCNs
that allow you to do lots and lots of great things -- like let someone
set the volume on a stack, and even automate recordings of sounds.

I have found these alone are worth the money -- and MORE

Louis Janus
Scandinavian Dept
U of Minnesota