[comp.sys.mac.apps] MacWrite II

c3ar@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Walter C3arlip) (10/01/90)

A colleague of mine uses MacWrite II for extensive word processing on a
MacPlus and has found the spelling checker to be irritating and useless.
The problem is that the program spends too long compiling long lists of
"suggested" changes for simple typo's, e.g., if he types "th" instead of
"the" MacWrite will chug away for several minutes searching for words that
begin with "th" to suggest as alternatives.

Is there anyway to circumvent this "feature".  (I've already suggested
switching to an fx, where I'm sure the delay is less noticeable.)  In other
words, can MacWrite be configured (or hacked) to find misspellings and
*not* suggest changes?

Alternately, can anyone suggest a different word processor for which the
spelling interface is less slow?

Thanks,

--Walter
Walter Carlip 				**** carlip@ace.cs.ohiou.edu ****
(the "3" is invisible)    **** c3ar%finite.chi.il.us@gargoyle.uchicago.edu ****

Walter Carlip 				**** c3ar@finite.chi.il.us ****
(the "3" is invisible)    **** c3ar%finite.chi.il.us@gargoyle.uchicago.edu ****

gersh@aplpy.jhuapl.edu (John R. Gersh) (10/01/90)

In article <1990Sep30.181024.9486@midway.uchicago.edu> c3ar@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Walter C3arlip) writes:
>A colleague of mine uses MacWrite II for extensive word processing on a
>MacPlus and has found the spelling checker to be irritating and useless.
>The problem is that the program spends too long compiling long lists of
>"suggested" changes for simple typo's, e.g., if he types "th" instead of
>"the" MacWrite will chug away for several minutes searching for words that
>begin with "th" to suggest as alternatives.
>
>Is there anyway to circumvent this "feature".

This may not be a complete solution to the problem, but the MacWrite
II spelling checker is interruptible. You do not have to wait until
the list of suggestions is complete before making your choice of
actions. In other words, you can click on a item in the list or on a button
in the spell-check dialog while the list of suggestions is still being
compiled. Shortly thereafter (where the length of "shortly" depends on
the machine speed, of course) MacWrite II will stop looking for
suggestions and take the action.

						- John Gersh

gersh@aplpy.jhuapl.edu 	{backbone!}mimsy!aplcen!aplcomm!gersh
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Johns Hopkins Rd., Laurel, MD 20723		       (301) 953-5503