[comp.sys.mac.apps] Is there a Mac equivalent of uuencode/uudecode?

dxk@lanl.gov (David M Koon) (09/27/90)

Does anyone know of a tool that will take mac binary files
and make them suitable for mailing through unix mail?

Please mail me any responses as I do not monitor this
newsgroup.

Thanks,

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%Dave  Koon                    | Los Alamos National Laboratory
%%MS - D417, IS- 5              | Network Manager, IS-5
%%Los Alamos, New Mexico        | Phone: (505) 665-0499
%%87545                         | Email: dxk@lanl.gov
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

tim@maths.tcd.ie (Timothy Murphy) (09/28/90)

In <64185@lanl.gov> dxk@lanl.gov (David M Koon) writes:

>Does anyone know of a tool that will take mac binary files
>and make them suitable for mailing through unix mail?

What would be nice would be a Unix/DOS program
to 'binhex' a file.
Can't be too difficult, surely.

--

Timothy Murphy

e-mail: tim@maths.tcd.ie

dxk@lanl.gov (David M Koon) (10/03/90)

In article <64185@lanl.gov>, dxk@lanl.gov (David M Koon) writes:
> Does anyone know of a tool that will take mac binary files
> and make them suitable for mailing through unix mail?
>
> Please mail me any responses as I do not monitor this
> newsgroup.
>
> Thanks,

I got a number of responses to the question and I was able to solve
the problem. Below are summaries of those responses. Thanks everyone.

From: Klaus Ole Kristiansen <klaus@diku.dk>

The standard format for representing mac files as ASCII is binhex.
There is a program called binhex4.0, or you can use the compression
program StuffIt, that can both compress and binhex. I have never
seen binhex4.0, any user group will have StuffIt, which is shareware.

Klaus Kristiansen
From: John T. Nelson <jtn@potomac.ads.com>

Yes, there is a Mac based uuencode/decode.  I also wrote my own
asciifyier/binafier for this purpose too which runs on Unix and Macs.
Send me some mail if you want either of these.

From: bhughes@yellowstone.lotus.com (Brian Hughes)

    Just in case you haven't gotten hundreds of replies on this one:
the program is BinHex 4.0 (don't use BinHex 5.0). It's public domain, and
more or less the de facto standard. Should be available in the various
archives and user groups and BBS's.

--
iFrom: s902113%minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU@uunet.uu.net (Luke Mewburn)

Try 'BinHex4.0', available at sumex.stanford (36.44.0.6)
(Alternatively, use the BinHqx DA. It is shareware, but much/much
faster that binhex. Probably also at sumex. Finally, a compression
utility might make posting easier, and faster. (I use compacter
1.21 which can make self-extracting archives. I compact the data,
binhex it, download it to unix, mail it. The other end runs
binhex to decode it, and double-clicks the resulting application
to auto-extract...)

Hope that helps,
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Dave sent the source code to mcvert.  Contact him if you need help.

i---------
    There are two utilities I know of that will uudecode and uuencode...but
I've found them useless, as it is a waste of time to transfer files to my
local Unix system via modem, uuencoded...why not just sent the files to your
Unix system binhex'd, then uuencode them on the Unix?  Hmm, actually I can think of several reasons why...yell if you would like me to send the uudecode/encode programs, and if you prefer StuffIt or Compactor...

Brian
eck@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
------------------------------------
Easy as cake! All you need to do to send Mac files by mail, is to
binhex them. Get a copy of Stuffit 1.5.1 or binhex 5.0 from your local
bulletin board or users group. (Stuffit is better, and you will be
able to stuff your files (like zoo on UNIX, but *much*  slower)

"Non sequitor est disputatum"   "Non sequitor non carborundum" "Festina mente"
philbo@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu  | .......Copyright (C) 1990 By Philip Gross......
MB 1241/Brandeis University   | Permission to copy for noncommercial use only
PO Box 9110 Waltam, MA 02254 | other than net propogation, All Rights Reserved

i---------------------------------

You want BinHex 4.0 (not 5.0). You're best bet is to get Stuffit 1.5.1.,
which inlcudes BinHex capability along with file compression.

Jeff
--
| RIT VAX/VMS Systems: |     Jeff Wasilko     |     RIT Ultrix Systems:     |
|BITNET: jjwcmp@ritvax +----------------------+ INET:jjwcmp@ultb.isc.rit.edu|

There is a public domain tool set called UMCP (tm) Tools V 1.0 which
does uuencode/uudecode.  It's probably available from the info-mac
archives at sumex.stanford.edu.  If not, I can Email you a copy.  It
seems to work pretty good from the little I've used it.

Geoff Walsh
R & D Associates
(213) 645-1122 ext 363
u600288@lanl.beta.gov