[comp.sys.mac.apps] ATM 2.0

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) (09/14/90)

Has anyone used ATM 2.0 yet?  Is it any better?

I hear that there is a new startup init included called FontPorter.
What does it do?

Len

chuq@Apple.COM (The Wandering Phew) (09/26/90)

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) writes:
>Has anyone used ATM 2.0 yet?  Is it any better?

Yes. Yes.

>I hear that there is a new startup init included called FontPorter.
>What does it do?

It does what SuitCase II does, but not as well.

--
Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

mumble..mumble...mumble...mumbleLemieuxSCORE!!!!!!!...mumble...mumble..mumble

hammen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Robert Hammen) (09/27/90)

In article <UavwwxK00WBK42OpB5@andrew.cmu.edu> ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) writes:
>Has anyone used ATM 2.0 yet?  Is it any better?

It's definately faster, that's for sure. It still isn't in the same league,
as TrueType on the 7.0a9 system. But, we've had ATM for a year, and Adobe's
not letting the product stagnate, so expect another upgrade before System
7.0 ships.

>I hear that there is a new startup init included called FontPorter.
>What does it do?

Font Porter is an INIT that will search the System Folder for font
suitcases and open them (up to 12, I believe). It definately does not hold
a candle to Suitcase, nor did Adobe intend it to. Adobe found out the hard
way with ATM that most Mac users don't know how to use the Font/DA Mover.
Now, with Font Porter, they can just drag their screen AND printer fonts
into the System Folder and restart the Mac, and the fonts will be active
(kinda like System 7.0, no?)

Robert

kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep27.050115.7077@ddsw1.MCS.COM> hammen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Robert Hammen) writes:
>In article <UavwwxK00WBK42OpB5@andrew.cmu.edu> ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) writes:
>>Has anyone used ATM 2.0 yet?  Is it any better?
>
>It's definately faster, that's for sure. It still isn't in the same league,
>as TrueType on the 7.0a9 system. But, we've had ATM for a year, and Adobe's
>not letting the product stagnate, so expect another upgrade before System
>7.0 ships.

I disagree.  I think it's quite comparable to any of the TrueType I've seen
in System 7.0 releases.  (This is on a 16MHz '030).  I did a few timing
tests with ATM 2.0.  It is faster than 1.2, but not 2x -- at least not
in font GENERATION time.  The big speedup I noticed was the time it
took to remove an old font from the font cache when it filled up.
ATM 1.2 was noticibly slow.  ATM 2.0 isn't nearly as much so.

The bottom line is if you're working with a small cache, you'll
get a lot more of a speedup than if you're working with a large
cache.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock                   | This account needs a new home in MA...
Isle Systems                  | Can you provide a link for it?

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (09/28/90)

hammen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Robert Hammen) writes:

>In article <UavwwxK00WBK42OpB5@andrew.cmu.edu> ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) writes:

>>I hear that there is a new startup init included called FontPorter.
>>What does it do?

>Font Porter is an INIT that will search the System Folder for font
>suitcases and open them (up to 12, I believe).........

One major problem with font porter is that it will not load any
suitcase that contains chicago (of all things).  Also it clogs
up your system folder with suitcases.  IMHO, if you run ATM you
should have suitcase or font/da juggler to manage your fonts,
expecially if you have the plus pack.  This adds another 6 or
so suitcases that you need to deal with.

About Suitcase versus Font/DA Juggler and ATM, please read
my next posting;

Subject: Suitcase versus Font/DA Juggler with ATM.

NEWMAN@MAINE.BITNET (10/04/90)

I just got a copy ATM 2.0. This is a program worth having.  Is there an FTP
site that has any of the Type 1 fonts available for downloading?
Bryan Newman