[comp.sys.mac.apps] Stuffit Deluxe: Off on the wrong foot

rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) (10/02/90)

I just received my upgrade copy of Stuffit Deluxe.  How quaint!  An installer
program.  Shades of the IBM PC!  (Haven't these people ever heard of
click and drag?  I kinda like to know what files are being put where on my
hard disk.)

So I tried it.  Told it to put the app in a folder within a folder on my
hard disk.  Sat back and watched.  After telling me it was installing item #31
of 32 it went on to item 4!  And back on up until it got to 31, and then 4
again... at which point I pushed cancel and found multiple copies of files
in different folders within my system folder.

I turned off my INITs and tried again.  Same thing.

Anyone got a clue?  This is on a 4 MB Mac SE, Jasmine 40 MB disk (with 30 MB
on it).

By the way, I haven't tried the support phone # yet, but our mailer choked on
the Internet address they gave, and a week later I've received no reply to
the America Online message I sent them.  This from a company that claims to
want to supply the best support in the business.

I'm becoming convinced Stuffit has been spoiled nearly to death by its own
success, but it's the only game in town.

--
 - Rich Holmes                                  rich@suhep.bitnet
   Syracuse U. Physics Dept.                    rich@suhep.phy.syr.edu

drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) (10/02/90)

I've had StuffIt Deluxe (v1.0.1) since the end of July and have had
no problems with it whatsoever.  The installer program works fine
for me, as does StuffIt Deluxe itself.

Also, I've been sending E-mail to the address in the package
(aladdin@well.uucp) and have always gotten prompt and helpful responses
to my questions.

BTW, I've just received word from Aladdin Tech Support that a new
version of StuffIt Deluxe is forthcoming.  Version 1.1 will have new
encryptor externals and the ability to create auto-extracting archives.
(If you've seen StuffIt Classic 1.6-beta-whatever, you'll know what
I'm talking about.)

You'll hear no complaints from me -- yet -- about StuffIt Deluxe!

--
David Zinkin (drz@po.cwru.edu) -- CWRU and Rochester General Hospital

"Even though class attendance is not compulsory, it will put you
   at a real disadvantage." -- Unnamed CWRU Chemistry Professor

esf00@uts.amdahl.com (Elliott S. Frank) (10/03/90)

In article <1990Oct1.211515.29595@rodan.acs.syr.edu> rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) writes:
>I just received my upgrade copy of Stuffit Deluxe.  How quaint!  An installer
>program.
>So I tried it.  Told it to put the app in a folder within a folder on my
>hard disk.  Sat back and watched.  After telling me it was installing item #31
>of 32 it went on to item 4!  And back on up until it got to 31, and then 4
>again... at which point I pushed cancel and found multiple copies of files
>in different folders within my system folder.

Well at last I know that I'm not alone. I tried it at one in the morning
and went off to the kitchen while the installer was running. Result: one
trashed hard disk after it overwrote the volume information.

After leaving a few impolite messages with the hapless receptionist at
Aladdin, I finally got a call from the president of the company, assuring
me that it was a media problem with my distribution diskette. When the
second disk did the same thing, I called again. I was assured that it
was a conflict with my inits, but turning them all off only changed the
point at which the installer looped. I was assured that someone from
Aladdin Tech SUpport would call me after everybody got back from MacWorld
in August. I'm still waiting. If Aladdin wants to call me, I'll work with
them.
--
Elliott Frank              ...!{uunet,sun}!amdahl!esf00     (408) 746-6384
                       or ....!esf00@amdahl.com

[the above opinions are strictly mine, if anyone's.]
[the above signature may or may not be repeated, depending upon some
inscrutable property of the mailer-of-the-week.]

leonardr@svc.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) (10/04/90)

In article <1990Oct1.211515.29595@rodan.acs.syr.edu>,
rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) writes:
> I just received my upgrade copy of Stuffit Deluxe.  How quaint!  An installer
> program.  Shades of the IBM PC!  (Haven't these people ever heard of
> click and drag?  I kinda like to know what files are being put where on my
> hard disk.)

	The reason for the installer is NOT so you can't click and drag the
files, but because the files are compressed in order to save space.   Also,
there are a lot of different files/folder which need to be in specific places
(and in different places if you are running System 7.0x) so the Installer
is supposed to make your life easier.

>[problems with Installer]
	Sounds like you have a bad disk/copy of installer.  I would suggest
that you contact Aladdin directly and see about getting a replacement disk.

> By the way, I haven't tried the support phone # yet, but our mailer choked on
> the Internet address they gave, and a week later I've received no reply to
> the America Online message I sent them.
	Their current Internet address is a UUCP address, and if you are
unable to use it, you might try Aladdin@well.sf.ca.us which also a valid
path to the same address.

--
Leonard Rosenthol
Software Ventures Corp.

leonardr@svc.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) (10/04/90)

In article <1990Oct2.012059.4922@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>, drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David
R. Zinkin) writes:

> BTW, I've just received word from Aladdin Tech Support that a new
> version of StuffIt Deluxe is forthcoming.  Version 1.1 will have new
> encryptor externals and the ability to create auto-extracting archives.

	It will also feature two new compression methods (Optimal and Best
Guess) which fall between Fast and Better on the compression/speed scale.
Best Guess will get you Better compression, at about 30% increase in speed
over Better.
	There are also other improvements across the board including significant
speed ups.  Speed is currenty our _#1 priority_ for this release and we have
had Ray implement a number of things which have given SD MUCH BETTER speed
scores when compared with Compactor/DD at the same levels of compression.

Leonard Rosenthol
Aladdin Net Rep.
--

augsec@uncecs.edu (Wayne Robarge) (10/04/90)

In article <a4Hl02Epce2O01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> esf00@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Elliott S. Frank) writes:
>In article <1990Oct1.211515.29595@rodan.acs.syr.edu> rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) writes:
>>I just received my upgrade copy of Stuffit Deluxe.  How quaint!  An installer
>>program.
>>So I tried it.  Told it to put the app in a folder within a folder on my
>>hard disk.  Sat back and watched.  After telling me it was installing item #31
>>of 32 it went on to item 4!  And back on up until it got to 31, and then 4
>>again... at which point I pushed cancel and found multiple copies of files
>>in different folders within my system folder.
>
>Well at last I know that I'm not alone. I tried it at one in the morning
>and went off to the kitchen while the installer was running. Result: one
>trashed hard disk after it overwrote the volume information.
>
>After leaving a few impolite messages with the hapless receptionist at
>Aladdin, I finally got a call from the president of the company, assuring
>me that it was a media problem with my distribution diskette. When the
>second disk did the same thing, I called again. I was assured that it
>was a conflict with my inits, but turning them all off only changed the
>point at which the installer looped. I was assured that someone from
>Aladdin Tech SUpport would call me after everybody got back from MacWorld
>in August. I'm still waiting. If Aladdin wants to call me, I'll work with
>them.
>--
>Elliott Frank              ...!{uunet,sun}!amdahl!esf00     (408) 746-6384
>                       or ....!esf00@amdahl.com
>
>[the above opinions are strictly mine, if anyone's.]
>[the above signature may or may not be repeated, depending upon some
>inscrutable property of the mailer-of-the-week.]

I stopped it before it did the whole disk.
I now have a folder called Preferences which is a folder
within a folder within a folder etc. that is about
3 Megs big. I cannot remove it via the trash can as
the Finder runs out of memory. Anyone know of a way to
review a folder with lots of other folders inside it?

I also got a story about bad media and am promised a
replacement. I will not reformat the hard disk until
after I try it with the new disk. No sense reformating
twice.

Wayne Robarge
NCSU, Raleigh, NC

rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) (10/04/90)

In article <1990Oct2.012059.4922@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) writes:
>Also, I've been sending E-mail to the address in the package
>(aladdin@well.uucp) and have always gotten prompt and helpful responses
>to my questions.

Well, I tried again from a different node, and I still get prompt and unhelpful
mailer bounce messages.  "Bad system name -- well" or words to that effect.
I'm not a mail guru so maybe I'm doing something stupid... but that's the
address I'm using, aladdin@well.uucp.

--
 - Rich Holmes                                  rich@suhep.bitnet
   Syracuse U. Physics Dept.                    rich@suhep.phy.syr.edu
                                or if you must: rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu
   "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous" -- Flying Karamazov Brothers

tempest@walleye.uucp (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (10/04/90)

In article <1990Oct3.172048.16007@svc.portal.com> leonardr@svc.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
[stuff regarding the upcoming version 1.1 of StuffIt Deluxe.]

Leonard, do you know when 1.1 will be available?  Specifically,
when will registered users be notified--what will be the upgrade
policy?  I could have written to aladdin@well.UUCP, called
Aladdin or you; but thought others on the net would also like to
know.

Thanks,
Ken

.............................................................________________.
tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu, tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu,|Kenneth K.F. Lui|
tempest@sutro.sfsu.edu, tempest@wet.UUCP                     |________________|

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (10/04/90)

In article <1990Oct3.202618.1873@rodan.acs.syr.edu>
rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) writes:
>Well, I tried again from a different node, and I still get prompt and unhelpful
>mailer bounce messages.  "Bad system name -- well" or words to that effect.
>I'm not a mail guru so maybe I'm doing something stupid... but that's the
>address I'm using, aladdin@well.uucp.

The WELL's domain name is well.sf.ca.us. Try addressing mail to
  aladdin@well.sf.ca.us
--
========= jeanne a. e. devoto ========================================
 jdevoto@apple.com     |  You may not distribute this article under a

rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) (10/04/90)

The trouble I had installing Stuffit Deluxe appears to have been due to a
corrupted system.  At least, when I re-installed the system (6.0.2) and shut
off all INITs etc. by physically dragging them out of the system folder, rather
than just using INIT/CDEV, the installation worked correctly.

Now to see if I also get a decrease in the incidence of random system
crashes...

--

tcwan@umiami.miami.edu (10/04/90)

In article <1990Oct3.172048.16007@svc.portal.com>, leonardr@svc.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
> In article <1990Oct2.012059.4922@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>, drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David
> R. Zinkin) writes:
>>
>> BTW, I've just received word from Aladdin Tech Support that a new
>> version of StuffIt Deluxe is forthcoming.  Version 1.1 will have new
>> encryptor externals and the ability to create auto-extracting archives.
>>
> 	It will also feature two new compression methods (Optimal and Best
> Guess) which fall between Fast and Better on the compression/speed scale.
> Best Guess will get you Better compression, at about 30% increase in speed
> over Better.

[stuff deleted]

> Leonard Rosenthol
> Aladdin Net Rep.
> --
> Leonard Rosenthol
> Software Ventures Corp.
> MicroPhone II Development Team

Are they planning on distributing updates via Internet?
I've just gotten my upgrade (ver 1.01) and it works fine. The speed
improvement will definitely be welcome though. The viewer functions are
great, except it takes forever for the window to scroll (especially with
the sample king tut pict)

t.c. wan                     Internet: tcwan@umiami.miami.edu
Univ. of Miami, FL

In article <1990Oct3.171529.15907@svc.portal.com> leonardr@svc.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>	The reason for the installer is NOT so you can't click and drag the
>files, but because the files are compressed in order to save space.   Also,
>there are a lot of different files/folder which need to be in specific places
>(and in different places if you are running System 7.0x) so the Installer
>is supposed to make your life easier.

It's a great idea in theory.

Installer programs have been around for a long time in the MS-DOS world, and
Ghod knows they need 'em.  When they work, people are happy.  But I sure have
heard lots of BMG about when they don't work... when they fail to cope cor-
rectly with an unusual configuration... whatever... and those comments usually
are followed by, "Why can't it be like it is on the Mac, where you just have
to drag a few files to your hard disk with the mouse?"

Well, now I know how all those MS-DOS users felt.  Now it appears to have been
the system's fault, not the Aladdin installer's (though I note at least 2
other readers experienced the identical disaster), and once I re-installed my
system the installation was easy and painless.  But the point still stands:
if something goes wrong, you have a program going amok over your hard disk,
and good luck finding all the damage it did since it doesn't even tell you
what it's putting where.

--
 - Rich Holmes                                  rich@suhep.bitnet
   Syracuse U. Physics Dept.                    rich@suhep.phy.syr.edu
                                or if you must: rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu
   "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous" -- Flying Karamazov Brothers

tim@maths.tcd.ie (Timothy Murphy) (10/05/90)

I just installed UnStuffIt-Deluxe with no problems
(except that I had already deleted all the SITD files I had,
because I believed UnStuffIt when it said they were corrupt).

But what I'd like to know is --
and I apologise if this has long ago been thrashed out --
what is the advantage of UnStuffIt-Deluxe?
Does it compress much more?
Is it much faster?
The HyperCard-like documentation/help is really beautiful,
though it seems a bit like using a moon rocket to get next door, to me.
After all, the program is only meant to decompress files, isn't it?
There can't be that many ways of doing that.

How much is StuffIt-Deluxe, by the way?
I don't think the documentation mentioned anything as crude as money ...

--

Timothy Murphy

e-mail: tim@maths.tcd.ie

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (10/06/90)

Rich Holmes writes in a message on 02 Oct 90 to All:

RH>  I just received my upgrade copy of Stuffit Deluxe.  How quaint!
RH>   An installer program.  Shades of the IBM PC!  (Haven't these
RH>  people ever heard of click and drag?  I kinda like to know what
RH>  files are being put where on my hard disk.)...

The complete StuffIt Deluxe package is some 1300K.  Won't fit on one 800K disk.
 So, they Stuff it.  OK....now how to UnStuff it to get it on your hard drive?
 Well, they came up with an auto unstuffing shell, which they call their Installation
technologies.

Otherwise, they'd have to send 2 800K disks, which costs more...

--Adam--

(of course, if their installer doesn't work, it costs them more in bad publicity...)

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix