[comp.sys.mac.apps] Nisus Questions

ae219fl@prism.gatech.EDU (Fu-Lin Tsung) (09/21/90)

  Hi,

    I have just recieved a demo for Nisus 3.1, after playing around for
a couple of hours, I have few questions

    1. can Nisus select  text one column at a time? ie. if I have
       several columns of data, can I select an entire coulmn w/o
       select the rest?

    2. for simple formulas like dy/dx = y , is it possible to have dy
       underlined, over dx, and have '= y' be center between the dx
       and dy row? or do I have to use something like Mathtype.
       i.e. I want the same effect as  .\ f(dx,dy) = y if I'm using
       MS Word.  better yet, does Nisus have any simple formula entries?

    3. can Nisus change the sup and sub script postitions? i.e. if I
       find the subscript for 2 in H2O is not low enough, can I move it
       down more?

    4. can I costumize (sp) the menu?

  Thanks for your time.

owen@raven.phys.washington.edu (Russell Owen) (09/22/90)

In article <13922@hydra.gatech.EDU> ae219fl@prism.gatech.EDU (Fu-Lin
Tsung) writes:
>     1. can Nisus select  text one column at a time?
Yes. Hold down one of the modifier keys (option? command?) while dragging
the cursor.

>     2. for simple formulas like dy/dx = y , is it possible to have dy
>        underlined, over dx, and have '= y' be center between the dx and
dy row?...
I don't know
>        ...better yet, does Nisus have any simple formula entries?
No. However, it does have graphics tools, so you can do some manipulation
of formulas created in Expressionist and such.

>     3. can Nisus change the sup and sub script postitions? i.e. if I
I don't know.

>     4. can I costumize (sp) the menu?
You can assign key sequences to any menu item, and you can add macros, but I
don't think you can rearrange menu items.

Here is a partial list of differences between Nisus 3 and Word 4.
My apologies if I have left out your favorite feature. I have not
seen Nisus 3 yet, so I may have missed something important there.

Some Nisus features missing in Word:
- macros
- multiple undos
- search/replace text of a given style and/or font
- search/replace with "regular expressions"
- character-based styles (as well as paragraph-based styles, new in v. 3)
- flexible text/graphics interaction (text flows around graphics, etc.)
- graphics tools
- saves documents as text, with formatting in the resource fork. This
means if a file gets corrupted, you can probably recover most or all of
it. If a Word file gets corrupted, odds are it's a total loss.
- all commands are available at all times, in a fairly sensible
arrangement of menus (I like the interface much better than Word's, but
that is of course only my opinion!)
- I have found Paragon's products to be much more reliable than anything
I've used from Microsoft.

Some Word features missing in Nisus:
- hierarchical paragraph styles (but no character styles)
- flexible tables
- files don't have to fit in RAM
- equations
- menus can be rearranged

Disclaimer: I have tried to be accurate, but please verify any information
before making a decision based on it. If you spot an error, please let
me know and/or post (as if I have to ask!).

Russell Owen
owen@raven.phys.washington.edu
Astronomy Dept. FM-20
University of Washington
Seattle, WA  98195

gdavis@primate.wisc.edu (Gary Davis) (09/23/90)

> In article <13922@hydra.gatech.EDU> ae219fl@prism.gatech.EDU (Fu-Lin
> Tsung) writes:
>>     1. can Nisus select  text one column at a time?
Hold down the option key while dragging the cursor.

>>     2. for simple formulas like dy/dx = y , is it possible to have dy
>>        underlined, over dx, and have '= y' be center between the dx and
> dy row?...
I don't think this would be possible in the text layer.

>>        ...better yet, does Nisus have any simple formula entries?
No. It's pretty easy to draw formulas in the graphics layer and copy
and paste them into the text layer if desired. You probably wouldn't
want to do lots of formulas that way, though I suppose you could keep
a file with lots of standard formulas that you could easily modify
for use.

Incidently, Nisus does seem to insert formula PICTs (from Theorist, at
least) in the proper position in a line of text, unlike Word which
doesn't recognize the baseline information. Even if Nisus didn't, you
can adjust the vertical position of a character graphic just by dragging
it with the mouse.

>>     3. can Nisus change the sup and sub script postitions? i.e. if I
Nisus has two sub and super script positions. As far as I know you can't
adjust them continuously as in Word.

Gary Davis

sticklen@pleiades.cps.msu.edu (Jon Sticklen) (09/30/90)

I am evaluating Nisus from the perspective of a current FullWrite
user. There are some questions I cannot answer:
        1) I am used to developing graphics in PowerPoint, then
           copying them into FullWrite docs (using the PP "paste
           as picture" first to get then get the sizing correct).
           [I typically give a talk on a topic before I writes papers
           on that topic...]

           What I seem to see in Nisus is that when i copy in graphics from
           PowerPoint (using the clipboard) that the graphics change. Eg,
           lines that did not have arrowheads before now do have arrowheads.

           This nasty behavior takes place whether I am using the
           "character graphics" or a "graphics sheet" in Nisus. The bottom
           line is that I then have to correct the graphics in Nisus.

           Is there some way to copy in graphics from other applications
           (like pictures from PowerPoint) such that Nisus will leave them
           alone?

        2) A related question - again having to do with graphics
           capabilties of Nisus.

           In FullWrite, I got very used to using "Sidebars." These
           were areas that I could place anywhere on a page I wanted,
           and into which I could insert pictures, and text, or whatever.
           I typically used this to build Figures+Captions that I could then
           place.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. By the way, I find Nisus to be
really good for performance, and for easy of use - especially for
using the styles in it. It would be a LOT more friendly if
           you could define one style on top of another. That would allow
	   a user to change all the font of a paper at once instead of
	   changing each major styles font. Ditto line spacing, and ditto...

The graphics problems I am having with importing is my real hang up
with Nisus right now although.

  ---jon---

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (10/03/90)

In article <1990Sep30.154758.5562@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, sticklen@pleiades (Jon Sticklen) writes:
>Thanks in advance for any suggestions. By the way, I find Nisus to be
>really good for performance, and for easy of use - especially for
>using the styles in it. It would be a LOT more friendly if
>           you could define one style on top of another. That would allow
>	   a user to change all the font of a paper at once instead of
>	   changing each major styles font. Ditto line spacing, and ditto...

You can do that easily -- just create paragraph styles without a font.
In some ways, Nisus' styles aren't as "sophisticated" as Word's, but
in many ways they're a whole lot easier to use.

As for spacing and all, remember that it's really easy to do a search
and replace based on styles, so you can change all of one style into
another, for example.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

pollock@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Wayne Pollock) (10/05/90)

After playing with the demo of Nisus, I feel certain that by designing styles
in layers (just as you do in Word; style X is Normal+<stuff>, style Y is
X+stuff, etc.), then apply the styles in sequence.  You don't have to do this
manualy either - make a macro to apply the styles in order and call it
something like "personal letter style".  Then to globally change something,
such as font A into font B, do a simple find&replace operation.  To globably
change one entire style with another is also possible, I'm certain, with
marcos (but may not be trivial).

I have two basic questions after playing with the demo.  Inserted graphics can
be made to be fixed on the page (under the text, or over the text, but not
XOR), to float with the paragraph (the graphic is a fixed distance from the
upper left corner of the paragraph), but apparently not to float (or flow)
with the text.  So any change to the style or text or margins of the paragraph
cause the graphic to be misplaced.  How does one get graphics to float with
the text?

The second question is about secioning the document.  Is it possible to have
two columns for part of the document and one column for the rest?  I'm
thinking of business letters' hearders, with my name and address in the upper
right of the page, and the recipient's name and address in the upper left.
While I suppose I could make my return address a graphic, fixed to the page, I
often change this around (never mind why!) so I would prefer text.  There
would be other uses for sectioning a document too.

Wayne Pollock (The MAD Scientist)
Internet:	pollock@screamer.csee.usf.edu

jon@weber.ucsd.edu (Jon Matousek) (10/08/90)

In article <67@screamer.csee.usf.edu> pollock@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Wayne Pollock) writes:
>After playing with the demo of Nisus, I feel certain that by designing styles
>in layers (just as you do in Word; style X is Normal+<stuff>, style Y is
>X+stuff, etc.), then apply the styles in sequence.  You don't have to do this
>manualy either - make a macro to apply the styles in order and call it
>something like "personal letter style".  Then to globally change something,
>such as font A into font B, do a simple find&replace operation.  To globably
>change one entire style with another is also possible, I'm certain, with
>marcos (but may not be trivial).
Yes, you can apply the styles as you describe.

>I have two basic questions after playing with the demo.  Inserted graphics can
>be made to be fixed on the page (under the text, or over the text, but not
>XOR), to float with the paragraph (the graphic is a fixed distance from the
>upper left corner of the paragraph), but apparently not to float (or flow)
>with the text.  So any change to the style or text or margins of the paragraph
>cause the graphic to be misplaced.  How does one get graphics to float with
>the text?

To float graphics with the text, select the graphics on the graphics layer,
cut it, click back into the text layer and do a paste. The graphic is
now a character graphic, flowing with the text. A character grahpic can
be double clicked and edited, just as if it were in the grahpics layer.

By the way, XOR does exist. It is the invert mode. You should realize
though that XOR only appears on the screen and image writer printers.
XOR will not print to the laser printer because Postscript does not
support XOR.

>The second question is about secioning the document.  Is it possible to have
>two columns for part of the document and one column for the rest?  I'm
>thinking of business letters' hearders, with my name and address in the upper
>right of the page, and the recipient's name and address in the upper left.

Currently Nisus does not allow multiple sections, Nisus does have some
good work arounds that may suffice for a lot of situations. In your case
with the business letter, place your information in a header. A header
will span multiple columns. After the first page, insert an empty header
for the remainder of the document.

>While I suppose I could make my return address a graphic, fixed to the page, I
>often change this around (never mind why!) so I would prefer text.  There
>would be other uses for sectioning a document too.

Another way to mix the format within a Nisus document is to use the
Placed Page. The place page can allow you to place a page of a
multi-column document into a single-column document. The placed page
can be edited with a double click, placed anywhere that you can put a
graphic, and once placed, treated like a graphic--allowing for rotations,
scaling, etc.

>Wayne Pollock (The MAD Scientist)
>Internet:	pollock@screamer.csee.usf.edu

-jOn

%%
SoftwareEngineer: jOn mAtOUsEk;      Internet:  jon@weber.ucsd.edu
%%                                   AppleLink: D0405
Paragon Concepts, Inc.                     FAX: (619)481-6154
990 Highland Drive, #312
Solana Beach, Ca. 92075
(619)481-1477