[comp.sys.mac.apps] Presentation software

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (10/08/90)

Where I work we are thinking about getting some presentation software,
most likely (but not necessarily) Aldous Persuasion.

At present we have only a MacPlus and an Apple LaserWriter, both B&W.
We want to use the presentation software on the existing equipment,
and we also want to use it as an argument for getting a color Mac and
(just possibly) a color printer.  So....

1.  Will Persuasion run on a B&W machine like the MacPlus?

2.  If Persuasion runs, can we make use of its color capabilities
(even though we obviously won't be able to see them on screen)?  If
so, can we choose colors by name, so that we have some vague idea of
what we're doing?

3.  Does it produce color postscript?  Maybe this is the wrong
question--if we get a color printer, can we print whatever it is that
Persuasion produces?

4.  Does anyone have any reason to suppose that another presentation
package would be better than Persuasion at meeting the above needs?

I'd love to hear from anybody that has had experience using one of
these systems on a B&W machine.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe.

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)
-- Unisys Corp. / Paoli Research Center / PO Box 517 / Paoli PA  19301
-- Any resemblance between my opinions and those of my employer is improbable.
< You can put a mouse on an IBM.  And you can put a radio on a motorcycle. >

leonardr@svc.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) (10/09/90)

In article <15215@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM>, dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee
Matuszek) writes:

> [Persuasion and the MacPlus/B&W]
> 1.  Will Persuasion run on a B&W machine like the MacPlus?

	It should.  In fact, when I worked on the development team for the
original version (1.0), I was working on an old Levco Monster Mac.  It worked
just fine back then, I assume that it still does.

> 2.  If Persuasion runs, can we make use of its color capabilities
> (even though we obviously won't be able to see them on screen)?  If
> so, can we choose colors by name, so that we have some vague idea of
> what we're doing?

	Again, last time I checked you were able to by choosing the colors
by name, but only use the ones that you have 'defined'.  You can not use
just ANY color on a B&W machine, but you can use the 'named' colors.

> 3.  Does it produce color postscript?  Maybe this is the wrong
> question--if we get a color printer, can we print whatever it is that
> Persuasion produces?

	Yes.  It prints just fine on color printers.  I have tried it on
the QMS ColorScript (Postscript) and the Tektronics ColorQuick (QuickDraw)
and it works just fine on both.  It also works with slide printers as well.

> 4.  Does anyone have any reason to suppose that another presentation
> package would be better than Persuasion at meeting the above needs?

	I would suggest Persuasion, but then again I am biased ;-)

Disclaimer: As mentioned above, I was part of the original Persuasion team,
but I was payed off long ago and get ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from Aldus.
--
Leonard Rosenthol
Software Ventures Corp.