[comp.sys.mac.apps] BinHex Bugs

Gavin_Eadie@UM.CC.UMich.EDU (Gavin Eadie) (10/10/90)

There is a problem with BinHex in that it will not always decode binhex'd
files correctly. I have changed to always use StuffIt's binhex decode
instead of the BinHex application. I've seen reference to this problem
before but do not remember the details. However, I'll bet that the
Disinfectant file was not binhex encoded with the BinHex application.

---------
Gavin_Eadie@UM.CC.UMich.EDU
University of Michigan Information Systems

jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct9.185112.16027@terminator.cc.umich.edu>
Gavin_Eadie@UM.CC.UMich.EDU (Gavin Eadie) writes:
> There is a problem with BinHex in that it will not always decode
binhex'd
> files correctly. I have changed to always use StuffIt's binhex decode
> instead of the BinHex application. I've seen reference to this problem
> before but do not remember the details. However, I'll bet that the
> Disinfectant file was not binhex encoded with the BinHex application.

I used Stuffit 1.5.1 to do the BinHex encoding.  But I've been doing this
with StuffIt since the Disinfectant 1.0 release, and this is the first
time people have reported a problem.

It's interesting that some of the people on CompuServe are having a
similar problem.  Evidently, some people who used an older version of
Navigator to download the .sea file (not binhexed on CompuServe, by the
way), also could not get the self-extraction to work and had to use the
extractor program.  The sysops on CompuServe say that this is an error in
the earlier versions of Navigator.

I don't have a clue as to what the problem is.  If anybody has more
information, please let me know.

I decided to use self-extacting Compactor archives instead of StuffIt
1.5.1 archives for the Disinfectant 2.2 release for the simple reason that
Compactor produces much smaller archives.  In the case of Disinfectant
2.2, the self-extracting Compactor archive is about 165K, while the
StuffIt archive is about 201K.  This is especially important to those poor
slobs who must shlep these files around over slow modems.

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University
jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu