[comp.sys.mac.apps] changing font size of footnotes in MS Word globally?

murray@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Murray Karstadt) (10/12/90)

Using word 4.0 how do you change the font sizes of footnote reference marks
all at once. I tried redefining footnote reference with define style
but it only changed the newly entered footnotes or changed the style of the
entire paragraph. Can you recommend any strategies?

Thank you for any help in advance

murray@andromeda.rutgers.edu

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (10/12/90)

murray@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Murray Karstadt) writes:
>Using word 4.0 how do you change the font sizes of footnote reference marks
>all at once. I tried redefining footnote reference with define style
>but it only changed the newly entered footnotes or changed the style of the
>entire paragraph. Can you recommend any strategies?

One feature that may help do it (although it's not the global sort of
thing that we'd all rather have) is that command-option-r will find formats.
Combine this with the find again command (= on the keypad, or command-option-
a) as follows. Select the first footnote marker in your text, do command-option
r and it will find the next one (because the format is the same). Then you have
to change the size (command-shift-< and command-shift-> are useful here).
Then use the find again to move to the next one (you want to use the find again
rather than reusing find format cmd-opt-r because Word might hare off looking
for some new format rather than the one you really want it to find). Don't
neglect, after doing the markers in the text, to move your cursor to the foot-
note window to finish the job because Word apparently doesn't consider the
footnotes to be part of the same document (_I_ don't know, you go figure!)

There isn't it all very simple when we're using a powerful, yet easy to use
word processor? ;-)

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (10/12/90)

In article <Oct.11.14.56.43.1990.4812@galaxy.rutgers.edu> murray@andromeda (Murray Karstadt) writes:

>Using word 4.0 how do you change the font sizes of footnote reference marks
>all at once. I tried redefining footnote reference with define style
>but it only changed the newly entered footnotes or changed the style of the
>entire paragraph. Can you recommend any strategies?

You can't. But you can use the "FIND" command to find each footnote reference
marker, and change it.

My procedure is as follows:

1)	Get the cursor at the top of the document and get the "FIND"
	dialog box.  Enter "^5"   (carot 5). This is the code for
	Word to find the footnote reference marker.

2)	When Word has found the first footnote reference marker, select
	the "character format" dialog box. Enter the point size that
	you desire and hit ok (or return).

3)	Hit the = key on the numeric keypad. This has Word find the next
	ocurrance of what is in the "FIND" dialog box.

4)	Hit command-A. This repeats the sizing command.

5)	Repeat steps three and four until you reach the bottom of the
	document. Repeat the steps inside the footnote window as well

Good luck.

--
X	David Baird				xdab@midway.uchicago.edu      X