[comp.sys.mac.apps] UPDATE: Disinfectant/Compactor trouble

ralph@cbnewsj.att.com (Ralph Brandi) (10/09/90)

In article <2710a373.5e51@petunia.CalPoly.EDU>, mjohnson@riglow.acs.calpoly.edu (Mark S. Johnson) writes:

> Several people wrote saying that they, too, have had trouble with the
> Compactor "self extracting archive" of Disinfectant 2.2.  Others wrote
> saying that they had no problem at all launching the ".sea" archive.

> "de-binhexing" it on my Mac, then double clicking to launch/extract it.

> I USUALLY use "xbin -b" to de-binhex ".hqx" files on a Unix host,
> followed by a MacBinary transfer to my Mac.  This method, however, has
> not worked for me when downloading ANY ".sea" file.

I had the same problem with the self-extracting archive after
getting it from acns.nwu.edu and running xbin on the VAX.  I was
able to decompress the file using the Extractor application.

--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@mtunq.att.com     att!mtunq!ralph

The preceding are not the opinions of AT&T, CDI, or their lackeys.
Anyone who says otherwise is itching for a fight.

joseph@cooper.cooper.EDU (Joe Giannuzzi) (10/13/90)

in article <2710a373.5e51@petunia.CalPoly.EDU>, mjohnson@riglow.acs.calpoly.edu (Mark S. Johnson) says:

> Several people wrote saying that they, too, have had trouble with the
> Compactor "self extracting archive" of Disinfectant 2.2.  Others wrote
> saying that they had no problem at all launching the ".sea" archive.

Using Stuffit Deluxe, I took the BinHex'd version of Disinfectant 2.2 from
the Sumex archives and debinhex'd it. This, at least according to Stuffit,
worked fine. When I double-clicked on the self extracting archive, it gave
the archive error mentioned previously.

So, I then debinhex'd Compactor, also from the Sumex archives, and ran that.
From there I opened the Disinfectant 2.2 "sea" file, then extracted it from
within Compactor itself. This worked fine.

Hope this helps someone solve whatever this bug might be.

Joseph -> joseph@cooper.cooper.edu OR cmcl2!cooper!joseph

Disclaimer -> You are dealing with the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind