[comp.sys.mac.apps] Moire questions

biswa@faraday.berkeley.edu (Biswa Ranjan Ghosh) (10/10/90)

I just downloaded Moire from the sumex archives. After debinhexing/
unstuffing, I ended up with the application and the docs, which are
supposed to be Macwrite documents. However, my machine doesn't seem
to know that (generic document icon, and get-info shows just
document, not Macwrite document). Also can`t open the docs from
either Macwrite or Word.`

Am I doing something wrong? I downloaded it twice, with the same
results. Any other documents which I create come up with the correct
icon and are recognized by Macwrite and Word.

Second question: Moire seems to work correctly, except that I can't
change the sleep and never-sleep coordinates. In the control panel,
I can click on the sleep location button, and move the cursor to
where I want the sleep location to be. The coordinates of the cursor
are shown in the control panel, and change as I move the cursor. But
if I then click at a new location, the sleep coordinates return to
their original coordinates (upper right-hand corner). Of course, I
may be doing this wrong, but I don't know because I can't look at
the docs.

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Background: Moire version 3.02, on an SE/30, 6.0.4, same problem
under both unifinder and multifinder.

Biswa Ghosh
550 Cory Hall				arpa: biswa@janus.berkeley.edu
U.C. Berkeley				uucp: ...ucbvax!janus!biswa
Berkeley, CA 94720			tel:  (415) 643-6686

pharr-matthew@cs.yale.edu (Matthew Pharr) (10/10/90)

In article <28616@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> biswa@faraday.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Biswa Ranjan Ghosh) writes:
>I just downloaded Moire from the sumex archives. After debinhexing/
>unstuffing, I ended up with the application and the docs, which are
>supposed to be Macwrite documents. However, my machine doesn't seem
>to know that (generic document icon, and get-info shows just
>document, not Macwrite document). Also can`t open the docs from
>either Macwrite or Word.`
>
>Am I doing something wrong? I downloaded it twice, with the same
>results. Any other documents which I create come up with the correct
>icon and are recognized by Macwrite and Word.

I had a similar problem unstuffing stuff from FTPs and I found that if you're
using Gatekeeper, you have to be sure to give stuffit privliges to change
things like file type, etc.. Otherwise, you get the annoying generic document
icons...

Matt

earl@cogdev.cognet.ucla.edu (Earl Williams) (10/10/90)

In article <28616@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> biswa@faraday.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Biswa Ranjan Ghosh) writes:
>I just downloaded Moire from the sumex archives.
>
>Second question: Moire seems to work correctly, except that I can't
>change the sleep and never-sleep coordinates. In the control panel,
>I can click on the sleep location button, and move the cursor to
>where I want the sleep location to be. The coordinates of the cursor
>are shown in the control panel, and change as I move the cursor. But
>if I then click at a new location, the sleep coordinates return to
>their original coordinates (upper right-hand corner).

If I remember correctly, you need to define the sleep and no-sleep
_rectangles_, i.e. drag from one corner to the opposite corner.
Clicking results in a 1x1 pixel 'rectangle', which Moire probably
treats as an error, therefore giving you the symptoms you describe.

Earl M. Williams       ?8-)      UCLA Psychology Department
earl@cognet.ucla.edu             2344B Franz Hall
"No matter where you go, there you are."   -Buckaroo Banzai

a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (10/10/90)

Word 4.0 will open ANY file.  Under the EDIT (?) menu, select the COMMANDS --
wait and a box showing the four thousand possible things u can do with Word
opens.  type an O  (oh) and the box autoscrolls to the O headings.  select the
OPEN ANY FILE command, and then the DO box in the upper right area of the
opened commands box.  Better yet is to add the OPEN ANY FILE command to the
FILE pull-down menu.  This sure saves a lot of time when looking for copyright
notices and other stuff in program files.  :-)

smcguire@sloan.mit.edu (Scott McGuire) (10/11/90)

In article <28616@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> biswa@faraday.berkeley.edu (Biswa
Ranjan Ghosh) writes:
> I just downloaded Moire from the sumex archives. After debinhexing/
> unstuffing, I ended up with the application and the docs, which are
> supposed to be Macwrite documents. However, my machine doesn't seem
> to know that (generic document icon, and get-info shows just
> document, not Macwrite document). Also can`t open the docs from
> either Macwrite or Word.`

The problem is that the documentation is in MacWrite II format, not
MacWrite 4.6 format, if I remember correctly.  Unfortunately I don't
have the facilities to do the conversion.  Anyone?

--Scott McGuire
smcguire@sloan.mit.edu

draphsor@elaine0.stanford.edu (Matt Rollefson) (10/12/90)

a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) writes:

>Word 4.0 will open ANY file.  Under the EDIT (?) menu, select the COMMANDS --
>wait and a box showing the four thousand possible things u can do with Word
>opens.

You can also get this command by holding down the shift key as you
select the file menu.

Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf		draphsor@portia.stanford.edu

--
Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf                  draphsor@portia.stanford.edu

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (10/13/90)

a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) writes:
>Word 4.0 will open ANY file.  Under the EDIT (?) menu, select the COMMANDS --

Actually it's not necessary to go through the "commands" dialog to get "open
any file" nor necessary to install it in a menu. Holding down the shift key
before choosing open from the file menu will get "open any file" instead of
plain open.
--
Dana E. Keil                Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of California, Berkeley                      dana@are.berkeley.edu