[comp.sys.mac.apps] Word default drive

6600patb@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Pat Breitenbach) (10/09/90)

Does anyone out there know if there is a way to set the
default drive in Word (4.0) to an external drive.  I realize
that the File Manager handles volumes with a volume number
and not by specific drives, but I was just wondering if there
was a way to set the external drive to be the default with
some hack or in any of the Word preferences.  It would save
the students here in the computer lab who have accidentally
saved their work on the RAM disk from a lot of grief.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

-Patrick	Internet: 6600patb@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/10/90)

I think all apps use their startup directory initially.

You could put a custom background screen on the Mac with a message...

Or set the ram disk to the minimum possible size so they can't save
on it (doesn't work if the system is there also).

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/13/90)

Allow me to add to me original reply...

There is an init on sumex called DFaultD that allows one to specify
default folders for applications and such. It's not quite what you
want but you might be able to get it to do it. Or you could contact
the author and see if he'll extend it.

Mark Lanett

dropkin@pro-angmar.UUCP (Joe Dropkin) (10/13/90)

What you have to do is lock the file server so that when prompted with SAVE,
SAVE will never be an option in the dialog box until an unlocked drive/disk is
choosen.