[comp.sys.mac.apps] Relational Database for Book Collection wanted

leo@duttnph.tudelft.nl (Leo Breebaart) (10/10/90)

I know very little about database applications in general, and on the Mac in
particular. Browsing through some old MacWorld magazines did not provide an
answer either, so I am now turning to the net for information.

The subject line really says it all: I want to store my (medium-sized)
collection of books and magazines in a database that must make it easy
for me to list the information in various ways. In particular, I need:

- for the entire database: listings sorted by different keys, e.g. author,
  title, year;
- for specific magazines: lists of titles, or authors, or
  things written in 19--, or..., appearing in it;
- for specific titles: lists of collections/magazines that title appeared in;
  lists of translated versions;
- for specific authors: lists of titles, lists of magazines, lists of
  pseudonyms;

You get the idea: I want a relational database. Undoubtedly such an
application exists for the Mac. But what I do *not* want is to have to
spend months programming an interface on top of one.

Because my requirements are nothing very special (every library will
need something similar, I imagine), I am therefore hoping that a more
specific program exists somewhere, or at least a program that will
let me achieve what I want with a minimum of effort.

All ideas and suggestions more than welcome, loads of thanks in advance,

--
Leo Breebaart  (leo @ duttnph.tudelft.nl)

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (10/11/90)

leo@duttnph.tudelft.nl (Leo Breebaart) writes:

>The subject line really says it all: I want to store my (medium-sized)
>collection of books and magazines in a database

What you require will be exactly provided by the program EndNote.
Representatives of the publisher, Niles and Associates, can be
reached for further questions on The WELL. Their Usenet address at
The WELL is nilesinc@well.sf.ca.us

dropkin@pro-angmar.UUCP (Joe Dropkin) (10/13/90)

Microsoft Works will solve your problem.