[comp.sys.mac.apps] Gentleman seeking Finite element analysis prog. for Mac SE

francis@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) (10/10/90)

I just got a telephone call from someone who was looking for a finite
element analysis program for the Macintosh.  Unfortunately, I couldn't
help him; however, I thought that someone out there might be able to.
If you know where someone could get a finite element analysis program
that would run on a Mac SE, or have access to such a program that is
free/shareware, please contact:

	Leo Kazmerzak
	4384 Harborough Road
	Columbus OH 43220

	Phone:  (614) 451-0872

I'd prefer that you contact Mr. Kazmerzak directly, particularly if
you have something you could send him.  However, if you have a
recommendation for a commercial product, or a pointer to a freeware or
shareware product, and would rather not contact Mr. Kazmerzak, feel
free to contact me instead.
--
R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu

dropkin@pro-angmar.UUCP (Joe Dropkin) (10/13/90)

what in the world is a Finite element analysis prog?

bjberenb@athena.mit.edu (Barry J Berenberg) (10/16/90)

Someone else asked this question once, and I wasn't able to mail a response,
so here's a quick summary (seems like there's some interest):

FEA for SE:  none that I know of.

FEA for MAC II, etc.:  COSMOS is a good package, available commercially.  Has
a pre- and post-processor.  Runs on IBMs, VAXs, Crays, workstations.  Good
element library.  Commercial.

NISA II/DISPLAY II:  Not sure if this is available on the Mac yet, but should
be soon.  Runs on just about everything else, from PCs to Crays.  Pre- and
post- processor almost identical to PATRAN.  Extensive element library,
including composite shells and transition elements.  Good customer support.
Also has heat transfer, fluids (2d and 3d), and pcb design.  Shape, mass
optimization routines.  Also commercial.

If there's enough interest, I can post more details.  I've used NISA quite
a bit, and know someone who uses COSMOS.  I am not affiliated with the
distributors of either product.

Barry Berenberg