[comp.sys.mac.apps] Disinfectant 2.2 won't unpack

mjohnson@riglow.acs.calpoly.edu (Mark S. Johnson) (10/08/90)

I get a "file is damaged or busy" message when I launch
"Disinfectant.cpt" as downloaded from sumex.  Is this self extracting
archive corrupted?  I downloaded it twice and it failed to unpack both
times.

mark

--
Mark S. Johnson          mjohnson@stn9.calpoly.edu       (129.65.19.9)

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (10/08/90)

mjohnson@riglow.acs.calpoly.edu (Mark S. Johnson) writes:
>"Disinfectant.cpt" as downloaded from sumex.  Is this self extracting
>archive corrupted?

Funny, I downloaded direct from Northwestern and the compactor archive
seemed to be corrupted. When I ftp'ed it from sumex it was akay.
In light of all the controversy about what compression formats to use
I thought it was interesting that the first time I tried to open a
compactor file it didn't work.

Guess it's just unatural to tamper with the God-given Stuffit format,
I always new that the traditional methods were best :-) ;-)

cmpeters@eos.ncsu.edu (C MAVERICK PETERSEN) (10/09/90)

In article <dana.655399711@are2>, dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) writes:
> mjohnson@riglow.acs.calpoly.edu (Mark S. Johnson) writes:
> >"Disinfectant.cpt" as downloaded from sumex.  Is this self extracting
> >archive corrupted?
>
> Funny, I downloaded direct from Northwestern and the compactor archive
> seemed to be corrupted. When I ftp'ed it from sumex it was akay.
> In light of all the controversy about what compression formats to use
> I thought it was interesting that the first time I tried to open a
> compactor file it didn't work.
>
> Guess it's just unatural to tamper with the God-given Stuffit format,
> I always new that the traditional methods were best :-) ;-)

Well now, this is peculiar...  I downloaded straight from Northwestern
(acns.nwu.edu), Un-BixHexed it, and POW! a self-extracting application
appeared!  Simply launched the AutoExtractor vers. ("disinfectant.sea")
and a nice, clean, working version of Disinfectant 2.2 was left on my
HD *B^).

hal@krishna.cs.cornell.edu (Hal Perkins) (10/09/90)

In article <dana.655399711@are2> dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) writes:
>mjohnson@riglow.acs.calpoly.edu (Mark S. Johnson) writes:
>>"Disinfectant.cpt" as downloaded from sumex.  Is this self extracting
>>archive corrupted?
>
>Funny, I downloaded direct from Northwestern and the compactor archive
>seemed to be corrupted. When I ftp'ed it from sumex it was akay.

This is getting curioser and curioser.  I also got the file from
Northwestern, un-binhexed it with Stuffit 1.5.1, and the resulting
archive unpacked itself just fine when I double-clicked on it.  No
problems at all.

Hal Perkins                     hal@cs.cornell.edu
Cornell CS

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (10/09/90)

In article <15217@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:
>In article <270f615f.4d99@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> mjohnson@stn9.calpoly.edu (Mark S. Johnson) writes:
>>I get a "file is damaged or busy" message when I launch
>>"Disinfectant.cpt" as downloaded from sumex.  Is this self extracting
>>archive corrupted?  I downloaded it twice and it failed to unpack both
>>times.
>
>Same here.

I downloaded it from the the same site and I had no problems
uncompressing the file.

>-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)

Matthew Mora                |   my Mac  Matt_Mora@sri.com
SRI International           |  my unix  mxmora@unix.sri.com

friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (10/10/90)

We had similar problems downloading Disinfectant 2.2.  I originally got the
generic app icon.  A second try gave me the compactor see uncompacting
icon.
-Rich
Friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu

phil@waikato.ac.nz (10/16/90)

In article <270f615f.4d99@petunia.CalPoly.EDU>, mjohnson@riglow.acs.calpoly.edu (Mark S. Johnson) writes:
> I get a "file is damaged or busy" message when I launch
> "Disinfectant.cpt" as downloaded from sumex.  Is this self extracting
> archive corrupted?  I downloaded it twice and it failed to unpack both
> times.

Worked fine for me.  You're not transferring in binary mode by any chance?
BinHex (.hqx) files should be transferred in text mode (the default).
--
Phil Etheridge (phil@waikato.ac.nz)                 /\  /\   -+-,--, .--, ._
Computer Services/Mathematics & Statistics         /  \/  \  / /--< /--  /