[comp.sys.mac.apps] Academic version of PageMaker 4.0

irwin@galton.uchicago.edu (Mark Irwin) (10/12/90)

In article <59210@wlbr.IMSD.CONTEL.COM> fdm@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM.UUCP (Frank D. Malczewski) writes:

>Given how emasculated the academic version of PageMaker 4.0 is, and how
>varied even that price appears to be,
>
>--Frank Malczewski                        (fdm@wlv.imsd.contel.com)
>					  (malczews@nunki.usc.edu)

What have done to PageMaker 4.0 in the academic version.  I thought it
was going to be like the academic version of Word 4.0 where they leave
out the extra programs (SuperPaint 1.1, AutoMac III, maybe Word Finder)
but give a complete version of the main program.  Could you please
elaborate.

Mark

Mark Irwin
Dept of Statistics, Univ of Chicago
irwin@galton.uchicago.edu
mark@stat.ubc.ca (last resort only please)

dhoyt@vw.acs.umn.edu (10/12/90)

In article <1990Oct12.042216.23596@midway.uchicago.edu>, irwin@galton.uchicago.edu (Mark Irwin) writes...

>What have done to PageMaker 4.0 in the academic version.  I thought it
>was going to be like the academic version of Word 4.0 where they leave
>out the extra programs (SuperPaint 1.1, AutoMac III, maybe Word Finder)
>but give a complete version of the main program.  Could you please
>elaborate.

  I would like to know as well.  I have yet to find anything that is missing
from the academic version, including the table builder (and a hat :-).  As far
as I can tell, the only difference is that the academic version has no
"upgrade" rights.  But considering that it cost less than half of what the
mail-order houses are charging, that's hardly a problem.

david paul hoyt | dhoyt@vx.acs.umn.edu | dhoyt@umnacvx.bitnet

malczews@aludra.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) (10/13/90)

As I don't have it, I cannot say offhand just what they are; several
were mentioned to me by someone who has a copy.  The one that comes to
mind was a page limit of 12 pages.

I would imagine, if this is indeed true, that there are others.

Another that just came to mind is that it does not have the spelling
checker that one would normally get with the full version.

Given that when I buy an academic version, I still expect full functionality,
especially after $200 investment, I'd just as soon look elsewhere.
Upgradability is always an issue when buying an academic version, but
there should be a way to migrate from an academic version to a real live
version, given that one has already invested, especially in this case,
quite a bit of money.

I have WingZ and MacWrite II academic versions, and so far, I have been
able to get upgrades for them (at no cost).  I understand the Microsoft
also has upgrade paths for academic versions (obviously I've avoided their
products).
--

-- Frank Malczewski		(malczews@nunki.usc.edu)

dhoyt@vx.acs.umn.edu (10/13/90)

In article <12479@chaph.usc.edu>, malczews@aludra.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) writes...
>As I don't have it, I cannot say offhand just what they are; several
>were mentioned to me by someone who has a copy.  The one that comes to
>mind was a page limit of 12 pages.

  I've already produced several documents over fifty pages.  There is no page
limit, other than the 999 page limit.  And with the book facilities even that
limit is rather soft.

>Another that just came to mind is that it does not have the spelling
>checker that one would normally get with the full version.

  Again, there is no difference between the academic version and the full
priced package.

>Upgradability is always an issue when buying an academic version, but
>there should be a way to migrate from an academic version to a real live
>version, given that one has already invested, especially in this case,
>quite a bit of money.

  Once again, at less than half the 'cheap' price for pm, lack of the upgrade
program is not that important.  Given a $500 street price  plus a $150 upgrade
price to pm 5 gives a total cost of $650.The $200 for pm 4 and another for pm 5
is still $150 less than the full priced package.  Even if you are a student, the
$700 for the academic version + a full version is only $50 more than buying
pm 4 + and upgrade to five later.  If you are were as poor of a student as I
was, you'll quickly see the advantage at paying $200 now, and $550 later.
Btw, the $150 upgrade price is just a guess.  Plug your own guess in and make
your own analysis.

  I've examined the manuals, and programs in some detail since this rumor first
was aired.  I am convinced that the only disadvantage with the academic
version is the reduced support.  And my cost analysis shows me that this is
still a worthwhile investment.  Until someone posts definite proof, I will
consider this rumor totally untrue.  If you are still in doubt, call Aldus
technical support to confirm or deny my statements.  These, "I heard that
they said," kind of rumors do both Aldus and you a disservice.

david paul hoyt | dhoyt@vx.acs.umn.edu | dhoyt@umnacvx.bitnet

malczews@aludra.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) (10/14/90)

Perhaps there are two versions on PageMaker 4.0 Academic?  I quote the $200
as USC's price, which may be the version you also have; I don't know.

The version my friend has cost her $100 at a different university and does
have a 12 page limit.  Actually, what she has is "Student PageMaker 4.0";
perhaps you have something different.  This is what I was referring to
when I mentioned different prices.

These are not rumors.  I've seen it complain when one tries to use more
than 12 pages.  I've seen the grayed out spelling menu items.  I think
the help menu item was grayed out, as well as a few others (looking at
your post, I think Book was another grayed out item).  Must be different.
--

-- Frank Malczewski		(malczews@nunki.usc.edu)

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (10/14/90)

Mark Irwin writes in a message on 12 Oct 90:

MI>  What have done to PageMaker 4.0 in the academic version.  I
MI>  thought it was going to be like the academic version of Word
MI>  4.0 where they leave out the extra programs (SuperPaint 1.1,
MI>  AutoMac III, maybe Word Finder) but give a complete version
MI>  of the main program.  Could you please elaborate....

Apparently there are two academic versions of PM:  one, which costs $155 at
OSU, is the complete package but doesn't provide any upgrade path.  (Big deal,
since the upgrade is $150 anyway, just go out and buy the latest version brand
new when it comes out); and the other, which costs around $65, is truly crippled--some
features are left out, document size is limited to 12 pages, stuff like that.
 But for $65, it'll probably do much of what a student needs.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix

Michael.Burton@p3.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Michael Burton) (10/15/90)

   Frank Malczewski wrote:

>Given how emasculated the academic version of PageMaker 4.0 is...

and Mark Irwin asked:

> What have done to PageMaker 4.0 in the academic version.  I thought it
> was going to be like the academic version of Word 4.0 where they leave
> out the extra programs (SuperPaint 1.1, AutoMac III, maybe Word Finder)
> but give a complete version of the main program.

   So far as I can tell, the academic version isn't "emasculated" at all,
except that there is no upgrade path.  I received four disks, including
the templates and the table editor.  I received printed documentation
including "Introduction to PageMaker," "Getting Started," "Reference
Manual," "Table Editor Guide" and "Templates Guide."  Since I paid only
$155 for the package, and the upgrade cost was $150, I don't think I'm
losing much by forgoing the upgrade path.
   I recently saw (but didn't purchase) a "Student Edition" of PageMaker
which is somewhat "emasculated."  According the the package, it has all
the capabilities of PM 4.0, except that publications are limited to
twelve pages, and the user must always use "Save As..." rather than "Save."
The package was too small to hold all the manuals, and I suspect that
extras like the Table Editor and Templates were missing, as well.  The
"Student Edition" I saw was priced at about $45--not a bad price for a
very capable layout package for small documents.

--
Michael Burton via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.3!Michael.Burton

jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (Jeffrey C. Kantor) (10/16/90)

I've called Addison-Wesley and got the poop.

They are selling something called Student Edition of Pagemaker 4.0.
It is limited to 12 pages and does not have on-line help.  They do
include a reference card to replace the help function.  They include
a more how-to-do-it style manual designed for student use.  They
plan to make this available through University bookstores for about
$50 per copy (to quote: " .. the price of a textbook .." ).

The person I talked with was very keen on having this package
used in standard coursework.  I'm not sure for what courses this
would be sensible (perhaps writing lab reports, etc), but for
the price I imagine it would be very attractive.  Even if it is
crippled.

Jeff Kantor
Notre Dame

davidl@sgi.com (David Laird) (10/18/90)

In article <12502@chaph.usc.edu> malczews@aludra.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) writes:

>Perhaps there are two versions on PageMaker 4.0 Academic?  I quote the $200
>as USC's price, which may be the version you also have; I don't know.
>
>The version my friend has cost her $100 at a different university and does
>have a 12 page limit.  Actually, what she has is "Student PageMaker 4.0";
>perhaps you have something different.  This is what I was referring to
>when I mentioned different prices.

There must be two versions.  My wife (Masters student at San Jose State)
recently purchased PageMaker 4.0 (Educational version) for her SE at a
special sale ($150) at SJSU's bookstore (normally $200) -- it seems to be
complete.  It is marked that it is not upgradeable, but I don't consider
this as a significant disadvantage, as we probably won't miss most of the
gee-whiz new features in successive versions, at least not on our SE.
Who knows-- maybe my wife will pursue a PhD and still be eligible for the
educational version of a great new version of PageMaker in a couple of
years.  If we can buy that for ~$200 then, we've still spent only $350
for PageMaker.

David Laird