[comp.sys.mac.apps] floppy file recovery

tom@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Tom Pfender) (10/17/90)

Hello Netlanders!!!
I am using a Mac SE, system 6.0.5, 2.5 meg RAM and a 20 meg hard
drive.  I have a diskette that is unreadable, but I know
there is data on it, or at least there once was.  I am using SUM
II to try and recover the file(s) but cannot get my Mac to even
recognize there is a diskette that has a problem.  I
have inserted the diskette into my internal drive while holding
down the option key as was recommended by someone in my office,
but it is still won't recognize it.  If I do not hold down the
option key, I get a dialogue box asking me if I want to
initialize it.
Could someone of you kind souls help me out.
Thanks in advance, either post here or send mail to
tpfender@ucsd.edu.  Would prefer mail as it would be speedier
for me to read.

Thanks

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (10/17/90)

tom@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Tom Pfender) writes:

>I have a diskette that is unreadable, but I know
>there is data on it, or at least there once was.  I am using SUM
>II to try and recover the file(s) but cannot get my Mac to even
>recognize there is a diskette that has a problem.

It's funny you're having a problem since the SUM _manual_ covers
the procedure in such good detail :->.

Seriously though folks, don't worry if the floppy won't mount
and show on the desktop, just start SUM and insert the disk later
as you're going though the SUM diskclinic steps, SUM tells you when
to insert the floppy.

If it still doesn't work, maybe you'll have to go out and see if you
can find a copy of Norton. :-)
--
Dana E. Keil                Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of California, Berkeley                      dana@are.berkeley.edu

dvb@inmet.inmet.com (10/18/90)

I have used SUM several times to recover bad floppies all with
almost full success.

However this last time, I was using a IIci to run SUM and no matter
what I tried, SUM thought the disk drive on the ci was a HD drive
(true) and would not allow the system to accept the bad floppy.  (It
was not a HD disk)

Eventually I moved everything to a Plus with an 800K drive and
the same procedures would then let the disk stay in.

And on top of it all, the disk was so wrecked, the file would come
off, but would still be ruined and I couldn't copy it or open it.

So although I have high praise for SUM, sometimes it just won't work. :-(

Dave Baker