[comp.sys.mac.apps] Comments on Macintax?

becker@postgres.Berkeley.EDU ( Beverly S. Becker) (10/15/90)

My husband is looking for tax preparation software that runs on a Mac,
and would appreciate any information or comments on Macintax (pardon
any misspelling/mis-capitalization).  Specifically, has it been
written up anywhere, especially in comparison to other such packages?
He's primarily concerned with overall ease-of-use, completeness (i.e.,
would a professional tax preparer be able to use it in all or at least
most cases?), and output form(s).

Recommendations for alternative software would also be welcome.
Please respond via email.

Thanks very much,

Beverly Becker
becker@postgres.Berkeley.EDU

*			    Beverly Becker	  	    	      *
*		     becker@postgres.Berkeley.EDU 	    	      *
*		      CS Department, UC Berkeley                      *
*		 571 Evans Hall, Berkeley, CA  94720                  *

vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) (10/16/90)

For a while, Macworld was doing annual reviews of tax packages
(including Macintax) in their March issue.  I'm not sure whether this is
still the case.  If you have or have access to back issues, you might
check the last year or two.

Hope this helps.
| Vincent Del Vecchio     \       #include <stddisclaimer.h>        |
| Box 4834                 \       #include <stdquote.h>            |
| 5125 Margaret Morrison St.\  BITNET: vd09+%andrew@cmuccvma.bitnet |
| Pittsburgh, PA  15213      \  UUCP: harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!vd09   |
| (412) 268-4441              \  Internet: vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu     |

siegman@sierra.STANFORD.EDU (siegman) (10/16/90)

VERY enthusiastic recommendation for MacInTax, at least for preparing
individual tax returns, from this user (who's used it every year since
it came out, what, 5 years ago?).

dfazio@nachos.SSESCO.com (Dennis Fazio) (10/17/90)

MacInTax has no competition in the Mac World. All the others are spreadsheet
based templates that are nowhere near complete. It has every form you would need,
and some state forms for extra cost. It makes tax preparation easy and practically
errorless, especially if you are unsure of the IRS rules and instructions. It will
automatically calculate all needed entries on every form, and it lets you know
when forms are incomplete.

Cons: I think the cost is a bit high. It's about $60 mail order, which is a great
value. Unfortunately, the upgrades are about $55 per year which is 50% of list.
Usually 25% to 33% of list for an upgrade is more fair. I consider this a bit
high especially in light of the fact that the tax laws and forms have not
changed that drastically in recent years.  Unless you can share with a buddy or
two (you only need the program once for doing your taxes, though it also a very
useful tool for predicting next years taxes and thus tuning your withholding rates)
it will cost you $50 to $60 per year to use it.
--
Dennis Fazio                     | Internet: dfazio@ssesco.com
SSESCO, Inc.                     | Gabnet:   (612) 342-0003

arends@Yosemite.metaphor.com (Dale M. Arends) (10/19/90)

In article <241@nachos.SSESCO.com> dfazio@nachos.SSESCO.com (Dennis Fazio) writes:
>Cons: I think the cost is a bit high. It's about $60 mail order, which is a great
>value. Unfortunately, the upgrades are about $55 per year which is 50% of list.
>Usually 25% to 33% of list for an upgrade is more fair. I consider this a bit
>high especially in light of the fact that the tax laws and forms have not
>changed that drastically in recent years.  Unless you can share with a buddy or
>two (you only need the program once for doing your taxes, though it also a very
>useful tool for predicting next years taxes and thus tuning your withholding rates)
>it will cost you $50 to $60 per year to use it.
>--
>Dennis Fazio                     | Internet: dfazio@ssesco.com
>SSESCO, Inc.                     | Gabnet:   (612) 342-0003
>511 11th Avenue South, Suite 268 | Faxnet:   (612) 344-1716
>Minneapolis, Minnesota  55415    |

True, the price structure is a little strange but not out of line (IMHO).
A point to remember about the cost, whatever you spend on it should be
included as a deductible expense (until they change the law) along with
any other tax preparation expenses.

I have been using it since it was first available and, for me, it makes
doing my taxes so much easier and less stressful that I feel it is well
worth the money.

Dale

Dale M. Arends					Metaphor Computer Systems, Inc.
arends@metaphor.com
Any opinions expressed herein are my own and not those of my employer.  They
probably aren't interested and maybe don't agree and therefore ...