[comp.sys.mac.apps] keeping words 'together' on Word 4.0

jlhaferman@l_eld01.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) (10/19/90)

How does one prevent a word from splitting dues to word wrap in
Word 4.0?  For example, I type a number -10000 at the end of a line
and Word breaks the '-' and the 10000 into two separate words, placing
the '-' at the end of the line and the '10000' at the beginning of
the next.

Thanks.

Jeff Haferman                            internet: jlhaferman@icaen.uiowa.edu
Department of Mechanical Engineering     DoD 0186  BMWMOA 44469  AMA 460140
University of Iowa
Iowa City IA  52240

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (10/19/90)

jlhaferman@l_eld01.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) writes:
>How does one prevent a word from splitting dues to word wrap in
>Word 4.0?  For example, I type a number -10000 at the end of a line
>and Word breaks the '-' and the 10000 into two separate words, placing
>the '-' at the end of the line and the '10000' at the beginning of
>the next.

What you want to use the Word's "non-breaking hyphen" which is typed
as command-tilde (clover ~). BTW, if you are printing in Times or
other normal fonts when doing math be sure to change to the symbol
font for the minus sign so that it looks nice like a real minus sign
instead of short and stubby like a hyphen. Just get in the habit of
hitting command-shift-q before hitting the hyphen (or command-tilde
if it might break because it's at the end of a line); that makes your
next character be symbol font and then switches back to the font you
were using.
--
Dana E. Keil                Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of California, Berkeley                      dana@are.berkeley.edu

scavo@cs.uoregon.edu (Tom Scavo) (10/20/90)

In article <dana.656290538@are> dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) writes:
>jlhaferman@l_eld01.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) writes:
>>How does one prevent a word from splitting dues to word wrap in
>>Word 4.0?  For example, I type a number -10000 at the end of a line
>>and Word breaks the '-' and the 10000 into two separate words, placing
>>the '-' at the end of the line and the '10000' at the beginning of
>>the next.
>
>What you want to use the Word's "non-breaking hyphen" which is typed
>as command-tilde (clover ~). BTW, if you are printing in Times or
>other normal fonts when doing math be sure to change to the symbol
>font for the minus sign so that it looks nice like a real minus sign
>instead of short and stubby like a hyphen. Just get in the habit of
>hitting command-shift-q before hitting the hyphen (or command-tilde
>if it might break because it's at the end of a line); that makes your
>next character be symbol font and then switches back to the font you
>were using.

Right, those are excellent suggestions.  You could also put the
Symbol font's minus sign in a Word glossary and surround it with
whitespace using something like .\D.\FO3() where the .\ is
obtained with a <command>-<option>-<\> keystroke combination.  (I
wish there were an option to make this space nonbreaking---but see
below.)

Here's a summary of the possibilities then:

   regular (hard) hyphen           -
   optional (soft) hyphen          <command>-<->
   nonbreaking hyphen              <option>-<~>
   en-dash                         <option>-<->
   em-dash                         <shift>-<option>-<->
   minus sign                      <command>-<shift>-<Q> <->

The en-dash is used to denote number ranges (pp.23-39, for example)
while the em-dash indicates a break---here represented by a trio of
hyphens---in sentences.  Don't put any whitespace around the em-dash.
Finally, don't forget the nonbreaking space which in Word is had by

Hey, I didn't know you could use a nonbreaking hyphen in conjunction
with the Symbol font?

--

Tom Scavo  <scavo@cs.uoregon.edu>
---------

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (10/20/90)

scavo@cs.uoregon.edu (Tom Scavo) writes:

>Here's a summary of the possibilities then:

>   regular (hard) hyphen           -
>   optional (soft) hyphen          <command>-<->
>   nonbreaking hyphen              <option>-<~>
>   en-dash                         <option>-<->
>   em-dash                         <shift>-<option>-<->
>   minus sign                      <command>-<shift>-<Q> <->

>Hey, I didn't know you could use a nonbreaking hyphen in conjunction
>with the Symbol font?

Yup, it works just fine to give you a non-breaking minus sign.
A slight correction to your list above though (don't mean to nit-
pick, but maybe people are rushing out to go try it at home ;-)),
the key in question (that yields the non-breaking hyphen in MS Word,
and only in Word, I think) is command-tilde, not option-tilde.