[comp.sys.mac.apps] MFS to HFS

tom@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Tom Pfender) (10/20/90)

I have a diskette created on a machine from god-knows-where and
all I know is that the files on it are MFS files.  Tried using
SUM II to recover files, but it responded with dialogue box
stating "MFS recovery not supported".

Is there a way to convert MFS to HFS?? I looked in the manuals
for Mac Utilities User's Guide and Macintosh System Software
User's Guide (Version 6.0) and they were extremely helpful
(sic)! :-)

Can somebody point me in the right direction?  Or at least a
better direction than what these valuable manuals have?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

If it matters or helps, I am using an SE, 2.5 meg RAM, 20 meg hard disk,
and system 6.0.5.

Post or email, thanks in advance,

-tom

tpfender@ucsd.edu

vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) (10/22/90)

You can convert a disk from MFS to HFS by sticking the disk in the drive
and using the Finder to copy all of the files to an HFS disk.  (You can
then reformat, if you want, and the old disk will be an HFS disk without
any files on it.)  In their continuing quest for backward compatibility,
Apple has left the ability to understand MFS disks in the ROMs and the
Finder.  So perhaps I don't understand what your problem is?
| Vincent Del Vecchio     \       #include <stddisclaimer.h>        |
| Box 4834                 \       #include <stdquote.h>            |
| 5125 Margaret Morrison St.\  BITNET: vd09+%andrew@cmuccvma.bitnet |
| Pittsburgh, PA  15213      \  UUCP: harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!vd09   |
| (412) 268-4441              \  Internet: vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu     |

cp26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Thomas Parker) (10/22/90)

On 19-Oct-90 in MFS to HFS
user Tom Pfender@sdbio2.ucsd.edu writes:
>I have a diskette created on a machine from god-knows-where and
>all I know is that the files on it are MFS files.  Tried using
>SUM II to recover files, but it responded with dialogue box
>stating "MFS recovery not supported".
>
>Is there a way to convert MFS to HFS?? I looked in the manuals
>for Mac Utilities User's Guide and Macintosh System Software
>User's Guide (Version 6.0) and they were extremely helpful
>(sic)! :-)

On 21-Oct-90 in Re: MFS to HFS
user Vincent D. Vecchio@andrew.cmu.edu writes:
>You can convert a disk from MFS to HFS by sticking the disk in the drive
>and using the Finder to copy all of the files to an HFS disk.  (You can
>then reformat, if you want, and the old disk will be an HFS disk without
>any files on it.)  In their continuing quest for backward compatibility,
>Apple has left the ability to understand MFS disks in the ROMs and the
>Finder.  So perhaps I don't understand what your problem is?

The way I understand this, he's got an MFS disk that's either 1: broken
or 2: that he's deleted some files from.  The problem isn't existing
files, it's files that are technically (at least to the finder)
non-existant.

Me, I'd try using MacTools from Central Point Software.  This is a good
general purpose program with file recovery ability.  It's been around
forever, so it probably supports MFS recovery.  (I haven't tried it on
an MFS disk in years.)  Hope this helps,

- Chris
cp26@andrew.cmu.edu
"I didn't do it... You didn't see me do it... You can't prove it."