[comp.sys.mac.apps] mathematica for an SE?

mbharrin@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (eat life before it eats you) (10/21/90)

I have been told that Mathematica will only run on
a Mac II.  Is this true, or will it run on my SE?  Can anyone
suggest anything comparable that will run on my SE?

--
Matthew B. Harrington                        Internet: matt@ucsd.edu
University of California at San Diego        Bitnet: MATT@UCSD

johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (10/21/90)

/* Written  6:23 pm  Oct 20, 1990 by mbharrin@sdcc13.ucsd.edu */
 > I have been told that Mathematica will only run on
 > a Mac II.  Is this true, or will it run on my SE?  Can anyone
 > suggest anything comparable that will run on my SE?

As I understand it, there are two versions of Mathematica.  One is the
MacII version that needs 4 Meg RAM to run (and I think it also needs a
Floating Point unit); the other is a non-FPU version for SE that only
needs 2.5 Meg.  Don't know if these versions are the most current, but
hope it helps anyway.

Erik A. Johnson, Graduate Student        \ Internet:  johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering  \
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign \ AmericaOnline: ErikAJ

ajl45082@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Alan Jay Levy) (10/21/90)

In article <13431@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> mbharrin@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (eat life before it eats you) writes:
>I have been told that Mathematica will only run on
>a Mac II.  Is this true, or will it run on my SE?  Can anyone
>suggest anything comparable that will run on my SE?

The Standard version of Mathematica WILL run on an SE provided that you have 2.5Megs of RAM.  4 Megs of RAM is recommended.

Alan Levy

wpedigo@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Walter R. Pedigo) (10/21/90)

In article <13431@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, mbharrin@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (eat life before it eats you) writes:
> I have been told that Mathematica will only run on
> a Mac II.  Is this true, or will it run on my SE?

Mathematica 1.2 requires a minimum of a Mac Plus, 2.5 MB (4 MB recommended)
and hard disk.  Mathematica MacII 1.2 Supports the 68881 math co-processor

Hope this helps

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/22/90)

If you want to do any 3-D plotting, I recommend 5Mb.  Yes, I realize
you cannot put 5Mb of memory into an SE.  With 5Mb (in an SE/030), I
run out of memory every 15-30 minutes, and have to restart the
program.

I suggest you practice using mathematica on a 4Mb SE for a while,
before committing yourself to a $495 program that will run out of
memory so quickly.  There are other serious limitations to the 3-D
plotting capabilities in mathematica (like an inability to
sufficiently influence how the plots are labeled).

phil@waikato.ac.nz (10/23/90)

eats you) writes:
> I have been told that Mathematica will only run on
> a Mac II.  Is this true, or will it run on my SE?  Can anyone
> suggest anything comparable that will run on my SE?

As others have said there is a standard and enhanced version, the latter being
for II-class Macs.  We have the Mathematica Front End, which runs the Mac
interface for Mathematica on (apparently) a 1 Mb Mac (but ours has 2.5 Mb)
while the kernel, runs on a remote Sun SparcStation (with plenty of memory).
It seems to work very well, and is well worth it if you already have
Mathematica on a workstation, and have TCP access (e.g. Telnet) to it from the
Mac, as the Front End is quite cheap.

On the other hand, we also have Maple, which runs just fine on a 1 Mb Mac and
is a well proven, robust mathematical tool.  It has graphics, but not as
powerful as Mathematica.  I like it.
--
Phil Etheridge (phil@waikato.ac.nz)                 /\  /\   -+-,--, .--, ._
Computer Services/Mathematics & Statistics         /  \/  \  / /--< /--  /

rwt@ohm.york.ac.uk (Richard Taylor) (10/23/90)

in article <13431@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, mbharrin@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (eat life before it eats you) says:

> I have been told that Mathematica will only run on
> a Mac II.  Is this true, or will it run on my SE?  Can anyone
> suggest anything comparable that will run on my SE?

There are two versions of mathematica for the Mac, one requires
a floating point co-processor and the other does not. The second
one (cheaper by a long way, but a lot slower for rendering etc..)
will run on an SE with 2.5MByte+ memory. From our local experience
I would not recommend that you run it on anything less than 4MB,

Richard
* Dr R W Taylor              tel : (44) 904 432351  fax : 432353 *
* Adaptive Systems Group     email : rwt1@uk.ac.york             *
* University of York, England                                    *

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (10/23/90)

 * the Front End is quite cheap

Does someone have some prices on this?  Sorry, we cannot include it with
every Mac sold on campus.  (That was vetoed by the Music school.)
--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) (10/23/90)

In article <70100023@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> I suggest you practice using mathematica on a 4Mb SE for a while,
> before committing yourself to a $495 program that will run out of
> memory so quickly.  There are other serious limitations to the 3-D
> plotting capabilities in mathematica (like an inability to
> sufficiently influence how the plots are labeled).

You might also want to check out Theorist and Maple.  Both run with
smaller memory partitions than Mathematica (I run Theorist in a 3M
partition with no problem).

Charles Allen			Internet: cca@physics.purdue.edu
Department of Physics			  nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu
Purdue University		HEPnet:   purdnu::allen, fnal::cca
West Lafayette, IN  47907	talknet:  317/494-9776

tbutler@wpi.WPI.EDU (Tim Butler) (10/24/90)

Excuse me if this post comes out a little funny, I am stuck using using a
braindead terminal:

	Wolfram Research was running a special on the standard version of
Mathematica (no coprocessor support) for students only (aren't we all?)
for only US$139. The phone number is 1 800 441 math (I'm pretty sure)
(no hyphens on my terminal) call 800 information if it doesn't work.
Maybe if we all call and say well buy only the MC68882 (mac ii) version
they'll sell that one instead. (just me saying that didn't work).

I also just bought 1 meg 80ns simms for $41 ea. from micro electronic
technology in Hopkinton Mass. (Intel chips made in good old USA too)
Email if you can't find their small ad in the back of macuser/macworld for
the phone number. Came with instructions but no tools. Technology works was
$49 the same day.

Tim Butler	      (tbutler@wpi.wpi.edu)
Teaching Assistant    HL 103b  ext.5424      soon to be at:
Department of Mechanical Engineering	     Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Worcester Polytechnic Institute		     tim@rpi.edu should work
--
Tim Butler	      (tbutler@wpi.wpi.edu)
Teaching Assistant    HL 103b  ext.5424      soon to be at:
Department of Mechanical Engineering	     Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Worcester Polytechnic Institute		     no Internet address yet

dropkin@pro-angmar.UUCP (Joe Dropkin) (10/24/90)

It will run on an SE.