[comp.sys.mac.apps] Fullwrite Prof.

johnim@euler.Berkeley.EDU (John Im) (10/09/90)

Hi.  I was wondering if you could give me your impressions of this
program.  In particular, how does it compare to Word 4.0 and MacWrite II?
I've used both Word and MW but would like to see what other people think
about some of the other programs out there.

Thanks in advance.

- John

johnim@euler.berkeley.edu
(415) 649-7864

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/10/90)

You write:

FullWrite

Hi.  I was wondering if you could give me your impressions of this
program.  In particular, how does it compare to Word 4.0 and MacWrite II?
I've used both Word and MW but would like to see what other people think
about some of the other programs out there.
I say all this as a Word power user:

I just bought FullWrite recently, having seen it at MacConnection for about
$27, and couldn't resist. I was interested in the intergrated drawing
feature, since I'm doing technical docs that really need diagrams
and copying back and forth between SuperPaint or Canvas and Word is
getting anoying. However...

FullWrite is more like a page-layout-capable version of MacWrite than
a Word competitor. It has _very_ basic style sheets, so cumbersome
that there is no point (or flexibility) in using them. Word's outliner
is also easier to use--or, rather, I haven't figured out how to move things
around in FW's. And it has no tables. Its manuals are skimpy, even the
"reference" one, which offers little more that the intro. I love the
sidebars, but they don't seem to be easily resized!

FullWrite doesn't seem very intuitive. Word isn't either, especially
its style sheets, but once you learn how to harness that power you can
do almost anything. FullWrite doesn't have the power. If it does,
I haven't found it, and I think _Word_ is reasonably understandable once
you get into it's mindset. I can't get into FullWrite's.

I would, and will, stick with Word by all means.
I will probably start using "live" pastes from Superpaint to deal
with the updating problem, and won't have conversion problems. (FullWrite
reads Word 3 but crashes on 4. Hope you know in advance what version you
try to read.)

I would like to love FullWrite, but now I'm indifferent. It was a cheap
experiment.

Mark Lanett, ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu

sticklen@cps.msu.edu (Jon Sticklen) (10/10/90)

From article <143100013@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, by ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:

> You write:

> FullWrite
>
> Hi.  I was wondering if you could give me your impressions of this
> program.  In particular, how does it compare to Word 4.0 and MacWrite II?
> I've used both Word and MW but would like to see what other people think
> about some of the other programs out there.
> I say all this as a Word power user:

STUFF DELETED

> FullWrite is more like a page-layout-capable version of MacWrite than
> a Word competitor. It has _very_ basic style sheets, so cumbersome
> that there is no point (or flexibility) in using them. Word's outliner
> is also easier to use--or, rather, I haven't figured out how to move things
> around in FW's. And it has no tables. Its manuals are skimpy, even the
> "reference" one, which offers little more that the intro. I love the
> sidebars, but they don't seem to be easily resized!

you have an old version of FullWrite. 1.5 includes
	a) the ability to resize sidebars on the page (very nicely)
	b) tables (1.5 is distributed with a very full table program
	   called TYCYO)

but - i still prefer NISUS largely because of its stablity in relation
to FullWrite. If FullWrite were faster, and less prone to crashes, it
would be very good indeed.

	---jon---

omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) (10/11/90)

Has anyone gotten an upgrade notice?  Or is Ashton Tate hoping we'd all call?

-Owen

Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
					uunet!brunix!omh
"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."

m_herodotus@coors.dec.com (Mario Herodotus - Digital Customer Support Center (800) 525-6570) (10/12/90)

In article <52783@brunix.UUCP>, omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) writes...
>Has anyone gotten an upgrade notice?  Or is Ashton Tate hoping we'd all call?
>
>-Owen
>
>Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
>Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
>					uunet!brunix!omh

Ashton-Tate is hoping we'll all call!  I called and got my upgrade already.
The upgrade includes Tycho Table Maker v1.1.5 for making tables, and
FullWrite-Word for Word...a conversion program that allows you to convert
between several popular IBM PC and UNIX, Text, RFT formats and FullWrite.  The
number to upgrade is 1-800-2-ASHTON (I hate numbers that are letters! converted
it's 1-800-227-4866)

The new version is a bit faster (that's my impression not that I've timed it or
anything), and has a few added features.  Also it doesn't crash when converting
Word 4.0 documents.  If it's still selling through Mac Connection for $27 give
it a try there are worse ways to blow $27.  By the way $27 gets you v1.1, the
new version is v1.5, I bought the program a long time ago and the upgrade cost
me $49.  I don't know what the cost will be if you buy v1.1 now and try to
upgrade...give them a call, it's toll-free.

Mario

      I can't afford my own opinions, and DEC won't pay for them either.
Mario Herodotus   [ CX03 1/K4 ]   |        m_herodotus@coors.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation     |
Customer Support Center           | - or - m_herodotus%coors.dec@decwrl.dec.com
305 Rockrimmon Blvd.              |
Colorado Springs, CO 80919        | - or - ...!decwrl!coors.dec.com!m_herodotus
(800) 525-6570  Ext 25520         |
[direct line (719) 592-5520]      |

macq@miguel.llnl.gov (Don MacQueen) (10/13/90)

In article <1963@mountn.dec.com>, m_herodotus@coors.dec.com (Mario Herodotus - Digital Customer Support Center (800) 525-6570) writes:

|> In article <52783@brunix.UUCP>, omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) writes...
|> >Has anyone gotten an upgrade notice?  Or is Ashton Tate hoping we'd all call?
|> >
|> >-Owen
|> >
|> >Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
|> >Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
|> >					uunet!brunix!omh
|>
|> Ashton-Tate is hoping we'll all call!  I called and got my upgrade already.
|> The upgrade includes Tycho Table Maker v1.1.5 for making tables, and
|> FullWrite-Word for Word...a conversion program that allows you to convert
|> between several popular IBM PC and UNIX, Text, RFT formats and FullWrite.  The
|> number to upgrade is 1-800-2-ASHTON (I hate numbers that are letters! converted
|> it's 1-800-227-4866)
|>
|> The new version is a bit faster (that's my impression not that I've timed it or
|> anything), and has a few added features.  Also it doesn't crash when converting
|> Word 4.0 documents.  If it's still selling through Mac Connection for $27 give
|> it a try there are worse ways to blow $27.  By the way $27 gets you v1.1, the
|> new version is v1.5, I bought the program a long time ago and the upgrade cost
|> me $49.  I don't know what the cost will be if you buy v1.1 now and try to
|> upgrade...give them a call, it's toll-free.
|>
|> Mario

I bought MacConnection's cheapo 6 weeks ago and got v1.0.  Upgrade to 1.1 is supposed to be free and automatic when you register 1.0 (so I was told when I called), but I'm still waiting.

Don MacQueen
macq@miguel.llnl.gov

m_herodotus@coors.dec.com (Mario Herodotus - Digital Customer Support Center (800) 525-6570) (10/19/90)

In article <69710@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV>, macq@miguel.llnl.gov (Don MacQueen) writes...

>I bought MacConnection's cheapo 6 weeks ago and got v1.0.  Upgrade to 1.1 is supposed to be free and automatic when you register 1.0 (so I was told when I called), but I'm still waiting.
>
>Don MacQueen
>macq@miguel.llnl.gov

Oops, sorry.  Don is right the offer is for v1.0.  I did get my upgrade to v1.1
when I registered v1.0, but had to call to get v1.5

Mario

      I can't afford my own opinions, and DEC won't pay for them either.
Mario Herodotus   [ CX03 1/K4 ]   |        m_herodotus@coors.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation     |
Customer Support Center           | - or - m_herodotus%coors.dec@decwrl.dec.com
305 Rockrimmon Blvd.              |
Colorado Springs, CO 80919        | - or - ...!decwrl!coors.dec.com!m_herodotus
(800) 525-6570  Ext 25520         |
[direct line (719) 592-5520]      |

MARK.HOLLINGSWORTH@f1.n354.z1.FIDONET.ORG (MARK HOLLINGSWORTH) (10/31/90)

AT takes their time when issuing upgrades.You eventually will get the
notice for 1.5-but if you want it now-call them.It may take them over a
month to automaticlly send the 1.1 upgrade.  BTW,the manual is better in
the 1.5 version.

-->  Lininger Utilities Distribution Site<--

--
MARK HOLLINGSWORTH via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!354!1!MARK.HOLLINGSWORTH