[comp.sys.mac.apps] MS Word 4.0c ?

es2j+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward John Sabol) (10/20/90)

Heard a rumor about the release of a MS Word 4.0c. Can anyone confirm? What
are the differences between it and 4.0b?

+-------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Edward J. Sabol               | Arpa:   es2j+@andrew.cmu.edu          |
| Carnegie Mellon University    | Bitnet: es2j@ANDREW.BITNET            |
+-------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| "The streets that Balboa walked were his own private ocean and Balboa |
| was drowning." - August Wilson                                        |
+-------------------------------+---------------------------------------+

hirchert@harriett.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Kurt Hirchert) (10/31/90)

In article <kb885pq00Vo9Q1YINh@andrew.cmu.edu> es2j+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward John Sabol) writes:
>Heard a rumor about the release of a MS Word 4.0c. Can anyone confirm? What
>are the differences between it and 4.0b?

I recently ordered copies of Word for several machines in my office and
received version 4.00C.  The text below is from the Word 4 ReadMe file.
Apparently version 4.00C didn't change much from 4.00B.

Microsoft Word Version 4.00C
Release 4.00C improves Word in the following areas:
o  Documents saved in Word for the Macintosh format in Word for Windows are
   opened properly by Word for the Macintosh
o  All of the earlier improvements described below
Release 4.00B improved Word in the following areas:
o  Fractional Widths option allowed with ImageWriter printers
o  Macintosh IIci compatibility
o  Text and color display on large monitors, on multiple-monitor configurations,
   and on monitors capable of displaying more than a million colors (24-bit
   display monitors)
o  Compatibility with Desk Accessories using multiple windows
o  Display of drop-down lists in dialog boxes when the list extends below the
   window
o  Removes the extra blank line below a positioned paragraph within wrapping
   text
o  Allows you to add dotted lines to menus using the ---Separator--- option
   in the Commands dialog box
If you are currently using Microsoft Word 4.00:
If you have applied the Space Before format to a paragraph, Word 4.00C
suppresses the specified amount of space when the paragraph occurs at the top
of a page following an automatic page break. If the paragraph no longer falls
at the top of the page after you've edited the document, Word inserts the
specified space before the paragraph.
Word always inserts the specified amount of space before the paragraph when it:
o  Is the first paragraph in the document
o  Follows a manual page break
o  Falls at the top of a page with multiple text columns
--
Kurt W. Hirchert     hirchert@ncsa.uiuc.edu