[comp.sys.mac.apps] Compression Utilities

robertcr@tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM (Bob Cram) (10/22/90)

I am looking for information on compression/decompression utilities
for text files that will work on both a Mac and a PC.  I would
prefer something in the public domain. Any info would be appreciated.

Bob Cram
robertcr@tekgen.bv.tek.com

vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) (10/24/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.mac.apps: 22-Oct-90 Compression Utilities
> Bob Cram@tekcae.CAX.TEK. (240)

> I am looking for information on compression/decompression utilities

> for text files that will work on both a Mac and a PC.  I would
> prefer something in the public domain. Any info would be appreciated.

> Bob Cram
> robertcr@tekgen.bv.tek.com

I can think of a few options which meet your requirements.  If Unix
Compress is available for the PC (I would imagine that it is, and if
not, I'm sure you could port it fairly easily, as source is readily
available) then your best option is probably MacCompress (available in
probably /info-mac/unix in the archives) and a PC counterpart.  I'm
pretty sure these are public domain, and they do a good job.

LHArc, which is kind of slow, but gets better compression, is also
available for Mac and PC (and Unix, for that matter).  It too is public
domain.

If neither of the above works for you, you could revert to something as
ugly as old PC Arc--but that doesn't get very good compression and I'm
not even sure if it's public (shareware if not public, of course).  I
know there's a Mac version called either MacArc or ArcMac (There's one
of each.  One is really ugly, version 0.02 or something, and the other
is passable.  I never remember which is which.)

If you don't mind inconsistency, you could also create Zip files on the
PC (shareware) and Stuffit files on the Mac (also shareware) and use
Unsit for the PC and Unzip for the Mac when necessary to decompress.
PKZip does a better job on text than anything in this list, I think.
Stuffit, in comparison, is mediocre.

Hope this helps you.
| Vincent Del Vecchio     \       #include <stddisclaimer.h>        |
| Box 4834                 \       #include <stdquote.h>            |
| 5125 Margaret Morrison St.\  BITNET: vd09+%andrew@cmuccvma.bitnet |
| Pittsburgh, PA  15213      \  UUCP: harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!vd09   |
| (412) 268-4441              \  Internet: vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu     |

ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa) (10/25/90)

In article <8b9G4Ke00awI8512UN@andrew.cmu.edu> vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) writes:
 > > I am looking for information on compression/decompression utilities
 >
 > > for text files that will work on both a Mac and a PC.  I would
 > > prefer something in the public domain. Any info would be appreciated.
 > 	:
 > LHArc, which is kind of slow, but gets better compression, is also
 > available for Mac and PC (and Unix, for that matter).  It too is public
 > domain.

Current LHarc-Mac is not good implementation for MultiFinder. Under
Finder, the speed is acceptable.

vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) (10/25/90)

I recently got several questions asking where LHArc for the Mac was
available.  The answer:  I don't know.  I got it from a BBS somewhere in
metro DC, and I don't have a copy with me now.  So if anyone has a copy,
please post it to info-mac and/or comp.binaries.mac.  Otherwise, I may
be able to get a copy myself in a couple of weeks or so.

kpmiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Kent P Miller) (10/25/90)

To pass along some information gleaned from the net previously:

There is a pretty complete list of compression utilities available for
anonymous ftp from ux1.cso.uiuc.edu in the directory doc/pcnet.

Note:  I have not tried to ftp it, I just took down the address for future
reference.  Don't blame me if it doesn't work.

Kent Miller
Student Software Consultant
UCS, Oklahoma University (kent@aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu)

Patricia.O'connor@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Patricia O'connor) (10/29/90)

Hi Bob,
        There are versions of ZIP, ARC, and ZOO for both Mac and PC.  MacARC
will compress as well as decompressing, but I'm not certain about the Mac
versions of ZIP and ZOO.
                                  PatiO

--
Patricia O'connor - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Patricia.O'connor

rterry@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Ray Terry) (11/07/90)

>There are versions of ZIP, ARC, and ZOO for both Mac and PC.  MacARC
>will compress as well as decompressing, but I'm not certain about the Mac
>versions of ZIP and ZOO.

Actually, MacArc will only decompress.  ArcMac will compress and decompress.
An easy thing to get confused.

Ray

wscott@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Wayne H Scott) (11/08/90)

In article <107960002@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com> rterry@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Ray Terry) writes:
>>There are versions of ZIP, ARC, and ZOO for both Mac and PC.  MacARC
>>will compress as well as decompressing, but I'm not certain about the Mac
>>versions of ZIP and ZOO.
>
>Actually, MacArc will only decompress.  ArcMac will compress and decompress.
>An easy thing to get confused.
>
>Ray

There is also a version of LHarc for the macintosh.  The current version
is 0.41 and was just finished.  The author said he would post it to
sumex "any time now".

It works very well, producing files about the size of Compactor.
It is however at least 3 times slower than compactor.
One problem is that folders are not supported in this version.
(They are working on that)

I use it because I also have a version of LHarc for UNIX.
I can convert .sit files to .lzh and save download time.

P.S.  Do send me mail asking for this program.  I will show up at the
      archives sometime soon.   (I was asked not the redistribute it)

Wayne Scott             |  INTERNET:   wscott@ecn.purdue.edu
Electrical Engineering  |  BITNET:     wscott%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm
Purdue University       |  UUCP:      {purdue, pur-ee}!ecn.purdue.edu!wscott