[comp.sys.mac.apps] Wider spaces in MS Word

u-lchoqu%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Lee Choquette) (11/08/90)

How do you tell Word to widen the spaces between words, without typing
in extra spaces?  I've tried choosing Expanded in the Character
Formats dialog, but that also puts extra space between each letter.

I'm printing envelopes that should be machine scannable, and Helvetica
has such narrow spaces that I've been told I should have two spaces
between each word.  I wondered if there's a more elegant solution than
typing two spaces between each word in my address tables.
Lee Choquette          Internet: u-lchoqu@peruvian.utah.edu
                       Bitnet:   choquette@utahcca
                       UUCP:     utah-cs!peruvian!u-lchoqu

c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov7.183139.23300@hellgate.utah.edu> u-lchoqu%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Lee Choquette) writes:
>How do you tell Word to widen the spaces between words, without typing
>in extra spaces?  I've tried choosing Expanded in the Character
>Formats dialog, but that also puts extra space between each letter.
>
>I'm printing envelopes that should be machine scannable, and Helvetica
>has such narrow spaces that I've been told I should have two spaces
>between each word.  I wondered if there's a more elegant solution than
>typing two spaces between each word in my address tables.

Ok, what you want to do is look for a feature in Word called "kerning."
Kerning is a desktop publishing term for exactly what you want to do --
adding or removing extra space between two characters.

If MS Word doesn't have Kerning, then I suggest you use a Desktop Publishing
program, such as PageMaker.
Donald Burr, c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.edu  | "I have a seperate mail-address
University of California, Berkeley        | for flames and other such nega-
Majoring in Computer Science              | tive msgs; it's called /dev/null."