[comp.sys.mac.apps] Re^2: AppleShare fileserver

phil@waikato.ac.nz (11/09/90)

In article <5996@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, omalley@mace.cc.purdue.edu (John O'Malley) writes:
>> What you do is use ResEdit , then  GetInfo about a file,
>> and set the SHARED bit. Now the file can be opened by more than
>> one person.
>
> What legal issues are involved with using this solution?  Purchasing one
> copy, storing it on the server, and then (via the Shared bit) letting more
> than one person use it simultaneously seems like it would violate the
> single-user license that most software has.
>
> Would this be legal if one purchased as many copies as there could be
> simultaneous users?

We purchase *licences* for as many as we want people using an application
simultaneously.  Sometimes this is as many Macs as we have, often a lot less.
We have software to make sure that only up to the desired number can use the
application simultaneously.
--
Phil Etheridge (phil@waikato.ac.nz)                 /\  /\   -+-,--, .--, ._
Computer Services/Mathematics & Statistics         /  \/  \  / /--< /--  /