[comp.sys.mac.apps] Freedom of the Press Light 3.0

jack@taffy.rice.edu (Jack W. Howarth) (11/02/90)

   Well Santa has come early this year. Custom Applications is about to ship
Freedom of the Press Light v3.0 which is a version of FOP v3.0 with only 17
fonts instead of 35. The MacConnection and MacWarehouse are taking preorders
($56-57) and it will ship Nov. 9th. This looks like a great way for those
of us who have ATM/Plus Pack and would still like PS output on a Deskwriter
or LW SC. The FOP v3.0 can use Type 1 fonts and so can use ATM outline files.
Cheers...
                                 Jack Howarth

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (11/02/90)

>Freedom of the Press Light v3.0 which is a version of FOP v3.0 with only 17
>fonts instead of 35.

Is fewer fonts the only thing 'light' about FOP light?

--
-george   @sol1.lrsm.upenn.edu

mfi@serc.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (11/02/90)

In article <32154@netnews.upenn.edu> jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) writes:

>>Freedom of the Press Light v3.0 which is a version of FOP v3.0 with only 17
>>fonts instead of 35.
>
>Is fewer fonts the only thing 'light' about FOP light?

Can someone please describe FOP (briefly).
ie.
	Is it a chooser level driver?

	Does it work on the imagewriterII?

Mark Interrante   		  Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		  CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
Quote from a west Texas farmer  "status quo is Latin for the mess we're in."

josh@athena.mit.edu (Josh Hartmann) (11/03/90)

In article <25233@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mfi@serc.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) writes:

>Can someone please describe FOP (briefly).
>ie.
>	Is it a chooser level driver?
>
>	Does it work on the imagewriter ii?

Freedom of Press is a PostScript rasterization program that allows printing of PostScript code on QuickDraw printers and other non-PostScript output devices, including slides...
To use, you need Multifinder, gobs of memory and disk space, and optimally a Mac II with an FPU, although the latter is optional, as I understand. The FPU makes it much faster, though.
Ya' print using the LaserWriter chooser driver to _disk_, and FOP interprets the PS file and rasterizes it much as a normal PS printer would.
I _believe_ the imagewriter is supported.
It is slow, though, so be prepared to watch the watch icon spin.
For some printers, FOP will run in the background, but unfortunately not for my GCC PLPII.

Hope this helps....
Josh Hartmann
josh@athena.mit.edu

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (11/03/90)

In article <1990Nov2.161117.16675@athena.mit.edu> josh@athena.mit.edu (Josh Hartmann) writes:

>   I _believe_ the imagewriter is supported.

Yup. It works with my IW LQ.

However, I have 5 Megs of memory, and cannot run Illustrator and
Freedom of the Press at the same time.

There is some question about a non-IW on the printer port. I guess FOP
gets confused if the printer is on when you start it up.
Solution:
	1) have printer off when starting up FOP
or	2) Put printer on modem port
or	3) get appletalk for IW.

It does take up a lot of disk space. I wonder about all of those
FPO Fonts when I have ATM fonts. Perhaps I can delete some of the FOP
fonts. Anyone know which ones can be deleted?
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (11/07/90)

So --- when will "Mini-FOP" that will run on 68000's come out?  I still can't
afford $2000 to upgrade my SE to an SE/30....  (Major HINT HINT to Apple....)

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN

jack@Taffy.rice.edu (Jack W. Howarth) (11/08/90)

Brandon,
     Actually, I think that 3.0 may support all Macs, however, considering
how slow a LW is with a 12 MHz 68000, I think you'll be hard pressed to get
any foreground work done on an SE or Plus with FOP running in the back-
ground.
                                    Jack

mingo@well.sf.ca.us (Charles Hawkins Mingo) (11/12/90)

In article <1990Nov7.012907.13294@NCoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) writes:
>So --- when will "Mini-FOP" that will run on 68000's come out?  I still can't
>afford $2000 to upgrade my SE to an SE/30....  (Major HINT HINT to Apple....)

	Well, according to my FotP manual, FotP *will* now run on a 68000 type
machine.  (Of course, it didn't say how *well* it would run, and I haven't had
a chance to experiment).
Charlie Mingo					Internet: mingo@well.sf.ca.us
2209 Washington Circle #2				  mingo@cup.portal.com
Washington, DC  20037	    CI$: 71340,2152	AT&T:  202/785-2089