[comp.sys.mac.apps] Problem with merging LARGE MS word files!

dindigal@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Harish Dindigal) (11/11/90)

I have 10 LARGE MS word files. I have to merge them to make a single file to
run the program. What I did is this:

Go to file 2. Highlight the whole file by dragging the mouse manually.
The do a copy. Then go to file 1 and do a paste.

Now my question to the knowledgeable folks out there is :

* Is there a better way to do this merge files?
* If this is the only way, then is there a better way to highlight the whole
  file without manually dragging the mouse?

Please reply to : dindigal@rodan.acs.syr.edu

Thanks in advance,

Harish
--
Harish Dindigal                               Email: dindigal@rodan.acs.syr.edu
152 Oakland St. #2                            Phone: (315)-475-5856

patel@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Amit Patel ) (11/11/90)

>* If this is the only way, then is there a better way to highlight the whole
>  file without manually dragging the mouse?

I don't know if there's a better way to merge the files, but you can highlight
the entire file with Option-Command-M.  (This keystroke can also be changed
using Commands... .  The name of the command is Select Whole Document.)

--
Jeff Porten, Annenberg School for Communication, UPenn (sjporte@asc.upenn.edu)

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (11/11/90)

In article <1990Nov10.201555.4377@rodan.acs.syr.edu> dindigal@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Harish Dindigal) writes:
>I have 10 LARGE MS word files. I have to merge them to make a single file to
>run the program. What I did is this:
>
>Go to file 2. Highlight the whole file by dragging the mouse manually.
>The do a copy. Then go to file 1 and do a paste.

You can select the whole document by moving your mouse to the left side
of the document window to the point where the pointer shifts from pointing
to the northwest to the northeast (north is the top of the screen). Then
hold down the apple/pretzel/command key and click the mouse once. The
entire document is now highlighted.

If you have an extended keyboard you can select the whole document by
pressing the home key (to make sure that the insertion point is at the
extreme top of the document), holding the apple/pretzel/command key and
pressing the end key (if you have redefined end to be the end of the
document in the command memu, and home is the top of the document).

Then there's the option-command-m  route.

--
X-----------------------------------------------------------------------------X
X	David Baird				xdab@midway.uchicago.edu      X

a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (11/11/90)

So far, the two best ways to select ALL the file have been discussed ( mouse
pointer in left marcin, hit Command key, or by using Option-Command-M).  If you
need a large block of the file, BUT not the whole file, try this one:
Highlight the first word or so at the beginning; use the right elevator to move
rapidly down to the end of the area you want to get; move the cursor to the
end of the selection you want to include; hold down the shift key and highlight
the last word of the selection.  Voila! Have fun.

blm@6sceng.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (11/12/90)

In article <1990Nov10.201555.4377@rodan.acs.syr.edu> dindigal@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Harish Dindigal) writes:
|* If this is the only way, then is there a better way to highlight the whole
|  file without manually dragging the mouse?

Hold down the command key and click in the selection bar.  By default,
this (Select Whole Document) is assigned to command-option-m (which can
be changed using Commands...).  Both the reference manual and quick
reference manual contain this information.

|* Is there a better way to do this merge files?

Create a new file containing:

<<include file1
<<include file2
etc. for each file you want to merge.

where << is option-\, not two < characters.

Next, do a Print Merge..., and click on New Document.  Word will create
a new document containing all of the files you said to include.  This
document can then be saved, edited, printed, whatever.

Note that you can also leave the documents unmerged, and just merge them
for printing.  I just finished a 200 or so page manual in Word, and the
only time the 15 or so different files got merged was for printing the
final manual.  I do all my editing and previewing on smaller files
because it's so much faster.
--
Brian L. Matthews	blm@6sceng.UUCP

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (11/12/90)

>* Is there a better way to do this merge files?

in the 'document' dialog you can specify the 'next file', and
thus string along all of your large documents.  By doing
this you can print the composite document all at once, but
the 'sections' remain as seperate files.  When you do this
each document will begin on a new page, but you can make the
pages be numbered sequentially by setting the 'begining' page
number to zero for all but the first document.

>* If this is the only way, then is there a better way to highlight the whole
>  file without manually dragging the mouse?

to select any large region click at the begining, use the scroll
bar to get to the end, and shift-click.  I am sure if you
read the manual there is a key comand to 'select all' as well.

--
-george   @sol1.lrsm.upenn.edu