[comp.sys.mac.apps] I just downloaded StuffIt Classic and...

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (11/06/90)

I have to say that in my opinion, Compactor seems to beat it hands
down in terms of general ease of use, speed, and Multifinder
friendliness.

Archive sizes seem comparable, and in both you can double-click on
folders to see their contents (something you couldn't do with the
original Stuffit).  But Compactor is fast as all get-out, even in the
background, and Stuff Classic really just pokes along.  (This is using
Stuff Classic's default "Best Guess" mode).

Ray Lau and Alladin seem to have spent a lot of time adding all sorts
of bells and whistles to the Stuffit package, but I was astounded at
how slowly it operates -- even on my FX.  I'm also less than thrilled
with the bloated size of the package itself (Compactor, including
User's Guide and Release Notes, comes to about 140K; StuffIt Classic
is well over 600K, including documentation), and the fact that the
installer goes and creates two or three folders in my System Folder.
Makes it difficult to give the program to someone else, since you have
to remember to also give them the "Optimizers" folder and the "Help"
folder, etc., etc.

This is the first time I've used any version of the "Deluxe" package
(I've been using 1.5.1 until now).  I paid my Stuffit shareware fee a
long time ago, but I don't have any intention of spending any more
money on it -- at least until performance is improved.  Compactor is
small, fast, easy to use, and works well.  What more do we want?

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (11/07/90)

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) writes:

> [...]
> Makes it difficult to give the program to someone else, since you have
> to remember to also give them the "Optimizers" folder and the "Help"
> folder, etc., etc.

Since Classic is distributed in the form of an installer, it would only
make sense to give it to someone else in that form. It is distributed in
that form to save space and to make sure you get the entire package each
time. Why is that a negative in your book?

John

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (11/07/90)

In article <kw48R1w163w@tosh.UUCP>, starta@tosh (John Starta) writes:
>Since Classic is distributed in the form of an installer, it would only
>make sense to give it to someone else in that form. It is distributed in
>that form to save space and to make sure you get the entire package each
>time. Why is that a negative in your book?
>
>John

Because I don't want to keep the installer around after I've installed
it (it does take up another 400K or thereabouts).  So a friend stops
by, says, "Gee, that looks like a useful utility.  Can you make a copy
for me?" and I have to remember to copy the application, its
subfolder, the two folders it creates in the System folder, etc.

I know it's not a big deal, but I prefer having the application and
all its support files together.  After all, what's the point of
putting these things in the System folder?  Most word processors and
DTP packages keep their myriad dictionaries and printer definition
files in subfolders within the application folder, and that seems to
work fine.  And certainly on an Appleshare network, it makes little
sense to duplicate the Help and Optimizer files in everyone's System
folders, rather than just having them live in one place on the server.

Anyway, it's not a big deal, just a general inconvenience.  And if all
the files could live together in the same folder (or in sub-folders),
you wouldn't *need* an installer in the first place.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."
   baumgart@esquire.dpw.com     |
   cmcl2!esquire!baumgart       |                           - David Letterman

spencer@osc.edu (Stephen N. Spencer) (11/07/90)

This talk of the StuffIt Classic installer installing three folders in the
System Folder begs the question:

	Can StuffIt Classic be configured to look in the application folder
	rather than the System Folder for the three folders it now installs
	in the System Folder?

It seems like a more compact solution to have one folder (say, the
StuffItClassic folder) with the application and associated subfolders
contained therein, though having them elsewhere is a reasonable alternative.

Any ideas?

steve

--
Stephen N. Spencer      | The hay's in the barn, boys.
ACCAD, 1224 Kinnear Rd. | It's time to go hunting.

peter@hari.Viewlogic.COM (Peter Colby) (11/07/90)

In article <2787@esquire.dpw.com>, baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve
Baumgarten) writes:
|> Because I don't want to keep the installer around after I've
installed
|> it (it does take up another 400K or thereabouts).  So a friend stops
|> by, says, "Gee, that looks like a useful utility.  Can you make a
copy
|> for me?" and I have to remember to copy the application, its
|> subfolder, the two folders it creates in the System folder, etc.

Why not keep it around on a spare disk (I mean you DO keep "backup
copies"
of your software, right?.

|> I know it's not a big deal, but I prefer having the application and
|> all its support files together.  After all, what's the point of
|> putting these things in the System folder?  Most word processors and
|> DTP packages keep their myriad dictionaries and printer definition
|> files in subfolders within the application folder, and that seems to
|> work fine.  And certainly on an Appleshare network, it makes little
|> sense to duplicate the Help and Optimizer files in everyone's System
|> folders, rather than just having them live in one place on the
server.

Actually, StuffIt Deluxe (which has the same support files issue) can
find
just about everything in the application folder thus making it
unnecessary
to keep stuff in the system folder. I believe the only exceptions (for
SD)
are the Magic Menu stuff and the Preferences file. I would try the same
for StuffIt Classic as well.

|> Anyway, it's not a big deal, just a general inconvenience.  And if
all
|> the files could live together in the same folder (or in
sub-folders),
|> you wouldn't *need* an installer in the first place.

There are other reasons for having an installer program - as mentioned,
one is to ensure that the complete set of files for the program stays
(unmodified) in one place.

I personally HATE the installer for a number of other reasons (like it
doesn't work for me, and I can't interrogate it to find out what files
are
there so I can decide what I need or what I happen to be missing from
the
last time it crapped out on me.

Peter C

--
      (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)     (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)
      (O) !the doctor is out! (O)     (0) peter@viewlogic.com (0)

jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) (11/07/90)

From article <kw48R1w163w@tosh.UUCP>, by starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta):
> baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) writes:
>
>> [...]
>> Makes it difficult to give the program to someone else, since you have
>> to remember to also give them the "Optimizers" folder and the "Help"
>> folder, etc., etc.
>
> Since Classic is distributed in the form of an installer, it would only
> make sense to give it to someone else in that form. It is distributed in
> that form to save space and to make sure you get the entire package each
> time. Why is that a negative in your book?
>
> John

It's a negative in my book because it takes up twice as much storage space
to keep the StuffIt Classic Folder AND the Installer around.  Also, what
is it installing in my system file?  And what if I should decide to throw
StuffIt Classic away?  My system file still has the StuffIt stuff in it.

StuffIt Classic is way too large.  StuffIt 1.5.1 suited me fine.  I can't
say I see any -major- improvements in Classic.  Bigger isn't necessarily
better.  I too like Compactor's compact size.

like it installing
Jeff Haferman                            internet: jlhaferman@icaen.uiowa.edu
Department of Mechanical Engineering     DoD 0186  BMWMOA 44469  AMA 460140
University of Iowa
Iowa City IA  52240

leonardr@svc.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) (11/08/90)

writes:
> In article <kw48R1w163w@tosh.UUCP>, starta@tosh (John Starta) writes:
> >Since Classic is distributed in the form of an installer, it would only
> >make sense to give it to someone else in that form. It is distributed in
> >that form to save space and to make sure you get the entire package each
> >time. Why is that a negative in your book?
> >
> >John
>
> Because I don't want to keep the installer around after I've installed
> it (it does take up another 400K or thereabouts).  So a friend stops
> by, says, "Gee, that looks like a useful utility.  Can you make a copy
> for me?" and I have to remember to copy the application, its
> subfolder, the two folders it creates in the System folder, etc.

	Ah, but like most publically distributable software, it comes with
a redistribution notice stating that when redistributed it must include the
following.....If someone were to ask for a copy of Compactor, for example,
you include the docs, etc. like Bill asks for, don't you??
	The Installer is nothing more than a special self-extractor (which
is how Compactor is redistributed) - it just knows how to put files in other
places.  It is also useful as it is _ONE_ file that you can download,
double-click on, and redistribute as is.  No muss, no fuss,

> I know it's not a big deal, but I prefer having the application and
> all its support files together.  After all, what's the point of
> putting these things in the System folder?  Most word processors and
> DTP packages keep their myriad dictionaries and printer definition
> files in subfolders within the application folder, and that seems to
> work fine.  And certainly on an Appleshare network, it makes little
> sense to duplicate the Help and Optimizer files in everyone's System
> folders, rather than just having them live in one place on the server.

	There are a couple of reasons why the stuff is in the System Folder.
One has to do with multiple uses - Since these files, obviously, have to
be opened to use and if they were only one copy for many people, only one
person could optimize or read help at a time.  The System Folder is the where
Apple has recommened putting files that might be used by more than one app
at a time.  Second is that these same files can be used by more than just
Stuffit Classic - they are the same optimizers and such used by Stuffit Deluxe,
Magic Menu and Shortcut and as such they need to be in a common location,
which the System Folder definately is.  If they were kept in the local folder,
then you would have to keep lots of copies - and Shortcut couldn't find them
easily.  This way they are in one common location and everyone who wants
them can find them!
	You will notice that most of the newer products which follow the
Human Interface Guidelines, such as those from Claris, now put their
dictionaries, etc. in the System Folder.  If you don't like it, blame Apple
it was all their idea ;-)

--
Leonard Rosenthol
Software Ventures Corp.

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (11/08/90)

In article <2787@esquire.dpw.com> baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) writes:
>>time. Why is that a negative in your book?
>
>Because I don't want to keep the installer around after I've installed
>it (it does take up another 400K or thereabouts).  So a friend stops
>by, says, "Gee, that looks like a useful utility.  Can you make a copy
>for me?" and I have to remember to copy the application, its
>subfolder, the two folders it creates in the System folder, etc.
>
>I know it's not a big deal, but I prefer having the application and
>all its support files together.  After all, what's the point of
>Anyway, it's not a big deal, just a general inconvenience.  And if all
>   Steve Baumgarten

It seems to me that you would copy the Installer to a floppy, if someone
wanted a copy of Stuffit Classic, you take out the floppy, and give him
a copy of the Installer application, no pain, no strain.

The reason that some of the files go into the system folder or into Folders
therein is because of Apple guidelines to this effect if I recall. Preference
files, Help files, etc... That way no matter where you move the Application,
it can always find its support files. Sounds like a much easier way to
handle things than what you propose, you seem to be advocating doing it
the hard way..IMHO...
--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) (11/08/90)

From article <3129@ns-mx.uiowa.edu>, by jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman):

> It's a negative in my book because it takes up twice as much storage space
> to keep the StuffIt Classic Folder AND the Installer around.  Also, what
> is it installing in my system file?  And what if I should decide to throw
> StuffIt Classic away?  My system file still has the StuffIt stuff in it.
>
> StuffIt Classic is way too large.  StuffIt 1.5.1 suited me fine.  I can't
> say I see any -major- improvements in Classic.  Bigger isn't necessarily
> better.  I too like Compactor's compact size.

Correction on my original posting - it installs FOLDERS in the System Folder.
I don't like this either, but what really gets me is that they are called
"Help" and "Preferences".  That's really dump.  How about something like
"StuffIt Help" and "StuffIt" preferences.  Ray Lau must be getting silly
at the ripe old age of 19.

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (11/08/90)

In article <3132@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) writes:
|Correction on my original posting - it installs FOLDERS in the System Folder.
|I don't like this either, but what really gets me is that they are called
|"Help" and "Preferences".  That's really dump.  How about something like
|"StuffIt Help" and "StuffIt" preferences.  Ray Lau must be getting silly
|at the ripe old age of 19.

Well, maybe, but I think actually he was looking ahead to the future,
when "Help" and "Preferences" folders within the System folder are to
be the standard place for all applications, thus reducing the
incredible amount of clutter that a System folder can accumulate after
a number of medium to large applications are installed.

	/JBL
=
Nets: levin@bbn.com  |     "I studied the tabletop.  It had a nice mosaic
 or {...}!bbn!levin  |  pattern of black against green.
POTS: (617)873-3463  |     "'Well,' I said after a time.  'That really

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (11/08/90)

In article <3132@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) writes:

>Correction on my original posting - it installs FOLDERS in the System Folder.
>I don't like this either, but what really gets me is that they are called
>"Help" and "Preferences".  That's really dump.  How about something like
>"StuffIt Help" and "StuffIt" preferences.  Ray Lau must be getting silly
>at the ripe old age of 19.

Someone mentioned this was because StuffIt follows Apple's new
guidelines.  I'm not familiar with the guidelines mentioned, but is it
possible that Apple specifically recommends folders named "Help" and
"Preferences", into which all such files (not just StuffIt's) go?

If so, does the StuffIt installer always create these folders (boo,
hiss), or does it use existing folders by this name, if such exist?

If Apple recommends these two particular folders, and it catches on,
that would go at least a little ways toward cleaning up the mess in my
System Folder (which is the only one I can't trim down and organize
reasonably), and I'm all for it.  On the other hand, I really don't
need a couple dozen extra "<Mumble> Help" and "<Mumble> Preferences"
folders in there.

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)
-- Unisys Corp. / Paoli Research Center / PO Box 517 / Paoli PA  19301
-- Any resemblance between my opinions and those of my employer is improbable.
< You can put a mouse on an IBM.  And you can put a radio on a motorcycle. >

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (11/08/90)

jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) writes:

> [...]
> to keep the StuffIt Classic Folder AND the Installer around.  Also, what
> is it installing in my system file?  And what if I should decide to throw
> StuffIt Classic away?  My system file still has the StuffIt stuff in it.

StuffIt Classic doesn't install anything in your system FILE. It does
however, place some folders in your system FOLDER. This is done so that
Classic, Deluxe, Shortcut and Magic Menu can share the help files, the
optimizer modules and the like.

If for some reason you decide to remove Classic, all that is required is
that you throw the application and some folders in the trash. No resources
are within your system file.

> StuffIt Classic is way too large.  StuffIt 1.5.1 suited me fine.  I can't
> say I see any -major- improvements in Classic.  Bigger isn't necessarily
> better.  I too like Compactor's compact size.

That suits me. Enjoy!

John

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (11/08/90)

jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) writes:
|Correction on my original posting - it installs FOLDERS in the System Folder.
|I don't like this either, but what really gets me is that they are called
|"Help" and "Preferences".  That's really dump.  How about something like
|"StuffIt Help" and "StuffIt" preferences.  Ray Lau must be getting silly
|at the ripe old age of 19.

The generic name is so that if there is already a "Help" folder or a
"Preferences" folder in your System Folder, the Stuffit Installer will just
stick it's files in the existing folders, rather than cluttering up your
System Folder with "Stuffit Help" and "Stuffit Preferences" folders in
addition to all your other Help and Preferences folders.

When I installed Stuffit Deluxe, I had already installed Disktop 4.0, which
places a "Preferences" folder in my System Folder.  Stuffit just used that one.

As I understand it, this is the happening, System 7.0-studly way to behave.

chaz

--
Someone please release me from this trance.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone

ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (11/08/90)

In <3132@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) writes:

>Correction on my original posting - it installs FOLDERS in the System Folder.
>I don't like this either, but what really gets me is that they are called
>"Help" and "Preferences".  That's really dump.  How about something like
>"StuffIt Help" and "StuffIt" preferences.

I agree wholeheartedly.  If everyone were as bullheaded, and wrote programs
which created "Help" folders in the System Folder, lots of programs would
step on each others' help files.

Trying to rename the folder caused StuffIt to lose track of the help file,
so simply renaming it isn't an option.  The best option we found at our
site was to throw the rotten thing out.  I just hope we got all the pieces.
--
        ... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska
Internet: ho@hoss.unl.edu | "Mine... is the last voice that you will ever hear."

rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Budi Rahardjo) (11/08/90)

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:
..... stuff deleted .....
>The reason that some of the files go into the system folder or into Folders
>therein is because of Apple guidelines to this effect if I recall. Preference
>files, Help files, etc... That way no matter where you move the Application,
>it can always find its support files. Sounds like a much easier way to
>handle things than what you propose, you seem to be advocating doing it
>the hard way..IMHO...

This creates problems for users like me who doesn't have a hard-drive.
My boot disk (system folder) is getting bigger and bigger .... finally..
no space left !!.

-- budi
--
Budi Rahardjo <rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca> <rahard@ee.umanitoba.ca>
Electrical Engineering - University of Manitoba - Canada

leonardr@svc.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov7.101621@hari.Viewlogic.COM>, peter@hari.Viewlogic.COM
(Peter Colby) writes:
> I personally HATE the installer for a number of other reasons (like it
> doesn't work for me, and I can't interrogate it to find out what files
> are there so I can decide what I need or what I happen to be missing from
> the last time it crapped out on me.

	You didn't hear this from me, but I will give away a secret...The
Stuffit Classic Installer (and ANY OTHER product which uses the Aladdin
Installer Technology) is really two parts.  The data fork of the file is
a standard Stuffit Deluxe Archive, while the resource fork contains that
standard resources like CODE, etc.
	What this means is that you can open an Installer file with Stuffit
(Classic/Deluxe) by doing either an Option-Open or choosing Show All from
the Open Dialog.  This will open the Installer up like any other archive
and you can extract files manually to your hearts content!

--

draphsor@elaine0.stanford.edu (Matt Rollefson) (11/08/90)

leonardr@svc.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:

>	You didn't hear this from me, but I will give away a secret...The
>Stuffit Classic Installer (and ANY OTHER product which uses the Aladdin
>Installer Technology) is really two parts.  The data fork of the file is
>a standard Stuffit Deluxe Archive, while the resource fork contains that
>standard resources like CODE, etc.

This is a big surprise.  But...

>	What this means is that you can open an Installer file with Stuffit
>(Classic/Deluxe) by doing either an Option-Open or choosing Show All from
>the Open Dialog.  This will open the Installer up like any other archive
>and you can extract files manually to your hearts content!

That's all well and good, except that that means we need the program to
open the installer to extract the program.  Now, if the auto-extractor
works to the extent that it always extracts the program, if not the help
files, then that's great.  If not, well we're sort of stuck, eh?

>Leonard Rosenthol
>Software Ventures Corp.
>MicroPhone II Development Team

--
Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf                  draphsor@portia.stanford.edu

klaus@diku.dk (Klaus Ole Kristiansen) (11/08/90)

Which system folder should those optimizer files be placed in?
I don't have a system folder on the disk where my StuffIt is.
The system disk I usually use it with is the one with Apple file
exchange on it, and I don't want to clutter that one too much.

Klaus Kristiansen

lsr@Apple.com (Larry Rosenstein) (11/09/90)

In article <15521@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM>, dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:

> Someone mentioned this was because StuffIt follows Apple's new
> guidelines.  I'm not familiar with the guidelines mentioned, but is it
> possible that Apple specifically recommends folders named "Help" and
> "Preferences", into which all such files (not just StuffIt's) go?

Basically in System 7 there is a new Folder manager that can be used to
locate folders such as the Preferences folder without hard-wiring the folder
name.  It also takes care of creating the folder if it doesn't exist.  The
Folder Manager supports a Preferences folder, but there's no mention of a
Help folder.

I think the recommendation is to put any preference files in the Preferences
folder; if there is more than 1 file, then the application should create
its own folder within Preferences and store them there.

One of the other useful folders in System 7 is one for storing temporary
files.  The system will automatically move temporary files into the trash
when you boot.  You can take them out of the trash if you need to recover
them, otherwise they will be deleted.

Larry

kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock) (11/10/90)

In article <3132@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) writes:

>Correction on my original posting - it installs FOLDERS in the System Folder.
>I don't like this either, but what really gets me is that they are called
>"Help" and "Preferences".  That's really dump.  How about something like
>"StuffIt Help" and "StuffIt" preferences.  Ray Lau must be getting silly
>at the ripe old age of 19.

Actually, this is one of the only things I'd care to defend.  System 7.0
will do the same thing to save System Folder clutter.  All Preferences
files will go in a Preferences folder, all Help files will go in a
Help folder.  Ray did that part of it right, at least.

StuffIt is deadly slow, as someone said.  I ran it on a IIci in Finder,
so it had 8 megs to work with.  The smart thing to do would be do
allocate a large input buffer and a large output buffer -- I should
see very little disk access.  Instead, I see almost constant disk access.
Supposedly, StuffIt Deluxe users (myself included) have been promised
a faster version RSN.  I can only say I hope so...

Ken

--
Ken Hancock                   | INTERNET: kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu
Isle Systems                  | Disclaimer: My opinions are mine,

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (11/10/90)

In article <1990Nov8.004050.2653@ccu.umanitoba.ca> rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Budi Rahardjo) writes:
>ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:
>..... stuff deleted .....
>>The reason that some of the files go into the system folder or into Folders
>>therein is because of Apple guidelines to this effect if I recall. Preference
>>files, Help files, etc... That way no matter where you move the Application,
>>it can always find its support files. Sounds like a much easier way to
>>handle things than what you propose, you seem to be advocating doing it
>>the hard way..IMHO...
>
>This creates problems for users like me who doesn't have a hard-drive.
>My boot disk (system folder) is getting bigger and bigger .... finally..
>no space left !!.
>-- budi

	Budi, if you are trying to use any number of utilities today
	without a hard disk, that is unfortunately your problem. To
	try and strap developers into considering the minority of
	users that have not purchased a hard drive (considering the
	cost is very reasonable now) does not seem all that viable.

	Very few applications will run with all their files without
	a hard disk. Its almost a requirement now to buy a computer
	with one IMHO...

	----

--

jsp@key.COM (James Preston) (11/13/90)

In article <1990Nov7.101621@hari.Viewlogic.COM> peter@hari.Viewlogic.COM (Peter Colby) writes:
>In article <2787@esquire.dpw.com>, baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve
>Baumgarten) writes:
>|> Because I don't want to keep the installer around after I've
>installed
>|> it (it does take up another 400K or thereabouts).
>
>Why not keep it around on a spare disk (I mean you DO keep "backup
>copies"
>of your software, right?.

Peter, you remind me of that old joke where the guy goes to the doctor and
says, "Doc, it hurts when I do this."  And the doctor replies, "Then don't
do that!"

I hope this doesn't sound like a flame, but you've really hit one of my pet
peeves here.  All Steve is saying is that in his world, with the way he is
used to doing things, the installer is inconvenient.  You are trying to
tell him that if he only did things your way, he wouldn't have a problem.
That's not really very helpful.  I mean, you're telling him that keeping
the installer around on a floppy "should" be no problem.  But maybe the guy
has a tape backup onto which he regularly dumps his hard disc, and he keeps
on his hard disc only that which he needs.  In that case, having to keep
the stuffit installer around means either wasting space on the hard disc,
or changing his backup startegy to keep this ONE thing on a floppy.

The point is not that there exists a solution to his problem, the point is
that he is the one who gets to decide if something is inconvenient or not
FOR HIM.

--James Preston