[comp.sys.mac.apps] MultiFinder 6.1b9

lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (L. Maurice Riggins) (11/13/90)

What happened to the Option-Apple Menu-Set Aside Others feature of 6.1b7?
Now all I get is the Application portion of the menu.  Please don't tell me
it's gone!

--
Maurice      INTERNET:    lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (129.92.1.2)

      Opinions expressed here do not reflect those of my employer nor
      constitute an official position of any U.S.Government agency.

ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (11/13/90)

In <1730@blackbird.afit.af.mil> lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (L. Maurice Riggins) writes:
>What happened to the Option-Apple Menu-Set Aside Others feature of 6.1b7?
>Now all I get is the Application portion of the menu.  Please don't tell me
>it's gone!

Hey, somebody, is there a moderator in here who posts Frequently Asked
Questions like they do in some other newsgroups?  This one definitely
needs to go in there.

(6.1b7 was apparently a MF supplied with some other product -- a beta test
version -- and since its modification date was older than the one that came
with 6.0.7, the Installer replaced it.  If I got that wrong, send flames.)

What happens if these Mac users had backup copies of their beta-MF's and put
them back in the System Folder?  Would that give "Set Aside" back, or does
6.0.7 not work with older MF's?
--
        ... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska
Internet: ho@hoss.unl.edu | "Mine... is the last voice that you will ever hear."

dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (11/13/90)

In article <1990Nov13.000937.4972@hoss.unl.edu> ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) writes:
>In <1730@blackbird.afit.af.mil> lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (L. Maurice Riggins) writes:
>>What happened to the Option-Apple Menu-Set Aside Others feature of 6.1b7?
>>Now all I get is the Application portion of the menu.  Please don't tell me
>>it's gone!
>
>Hey, somebody, is there a moderator in here who posts Frequently Asked
>Questions like they do in some other newsgroups?  This one definitely
>needs to go in there.
>
>(6.1b7 was apparently a MF supplied with some other product -- a beta test
>version -- and since its modification date was older than the one that came
>with 6.0.7, the Installer replaced it.  If I got that wrong, send flames.)

This is all correct.  MultiFinder 6.1b7 and 6.1b9 were both supplied
with SADE (Symbolic Application Debugging Environment, I think--for
all the non-programmer types :-), which is a module for MPW.  Both
versions have modification dates which are (not surprisingly) earlier
than MultiFinder 6.1.7, so the Installer replaces them.  If you have a
backup of the beta version, you should be able to restore it without
problem (I did, at least).

Also, I believe that you should have 6.1b_9_, not 6.1b7.  B9 was
released for compatibility with either the IIfx or System 6.0.5, and
I'm not sure which it was.  I thought it was for 6.0.5.  In any case,
I've used b9 with no problems for quite a while now.

>        ... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska

--
David Walton            Internet: dwal@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (11/14/90)

In article <20442@crg5.UUCP> ajh@time1.sequent.com (Alan Holzman) writes:
> I am using 6.1b9 and the "Set Aside Others" feature works quite nicely.
Simply
> pull down the Apple Menu and THEN press the option key while holding the
> mouse button down

It also works for me if you press the option key *before* pulling down the
apple menu.

In article <126109@linus.mitre.org> Lee_Fyock.D62@qmgate.mitre.org (Lee
Fyock) writes:
> Does anyone know how this is done?  This is the only menu item
> I've ever seen that changes _while the mouse button is down_.

I don't know how it's done, but it can't be too hard. FullWrite does it
all over the place.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

drz@po.cwru.edu (Dave Zinkin) (11/14/90)

Bubbles...) writes:

>(6.1b7 was apparently a MF supplied with some other product -- a beta test
>version -- and since its modification date was older than the one that came
>with 6.0.7, the Installer replaced it.  If I got that wrong, send flames.)

MF 6.1b7 was -- if I remember correctly -- supplied with Apple's debugging
environment (SADE).  There was a compatibility problem somewhere along the line
and 6.1b7 was replaced with 6.1b9.

>What happens if these Mac users had backup copies of their beta-MF's and put
>them back in the System Folder?  Would that give "Set Aside" back, or does
>6.0.7 not work with older MF's?

I've been running MultiFinder 6.1b9 with System 6.0.7 for some time now and
have had *no* problems.  If anything, MF 6.1b9 is more stable than the "real"
versions of MultiFinder.

 **-----> Dave Zinkin

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (11/14/90)

In article <4311@lib.tmc.edu> drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) writes:
|In article <20442@crg5.UUCP> ajh@time1.sequent.com (Alan Holzman) writes:
|> I am using 6.1b9 and the "Set Aside Others" feature works quite nicely.
|Simply
|> pull down the Apple Menu and THEN press the option key while holding the
|> mouse button down
|It also works for me if you press the option key *before* pulling down the
|apple menu.

This is not true if you are running with Suitcase.  Pressing Option
before pulling down the menu using 6.1b9 with Suitcase gives you the
list of DAs by itself.

	/JBL
=

Nets: levin@bbn.com  |     "I studied the tabletop.  It had a nice mosaic
 or {...}!bbn!levin  |  pattern of black against green.
POTS: (617)873-3463  |     "'Well,' I said after a time.  'That really

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov13.000937.4972@hoss.unl.edu> ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) writes:
>What happens if these Mac users had backup copies of their beta-MF's and put
>them back in the System Folder?  Would that give "Set Aside" back, or does
>6.0.7 not work with older MF's?

>        ... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska

I learned this problem/trick a couple of system upgrades ago.

I'm currently running a MacIIsi, with of course 6.0.7 and
Multifinder 6.1b9.

As far as I can tell it works just fine.

jim
--
     __           __
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (11/15/90)

writes:
> |> I am using 6.1b9 and the "Set Aside Others" feature works quite
nicely. Simply
> |> pull down the Apple Menu and THEN press the option key while holding
the
> |> mouse button down
> |It also works for me if you press the option key *before* pulling down
the
> |apple menu.
>
> This is not true if you are running with Suitcase.  Pressing Option
> before pulling down the menu using 6.1b9 with Suitcase gives you the
> list of DAs by itself.

This *does* work with Suitcase if you change the modifier key in Suitcase.
I changed it from Option to Command. You can do this by clicking on the
"Settings"
button in Suitcase's main window and then choosing another modifier key
under
"Font and Apple menus modifier key..."

David Gutierrez

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (11/15/90)

ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) writes:

> Hey, somebody, is there a moderator in here who posts Frequently Asked
> Questions like they do in some other newsgroups?  This one definitely
> needs to go in there.

Not for this newsgroup; only the digest and announce are moderated.

> What happens if these Mac users had backup copies of their beta-MF's and put
> them back in the System Folder?  Would that give "Set Aside" back, or does
> 6.0.7 not work with older MF's?

If you use the beta version, you get the "Set Aside" feature.

John