[comp.sys.mac.apps] AppleShare fileserver problem

mcolthea@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Max Coltheart) (11/06/90)

 I am running a network consisting of a a IIcx with 80Mb hard
disk and 12 Mac Pluses, using AppleShare fileserver. For almost
every application on the hard disk, opening it from one of the
Pluses prevents it from being opened on any of the others: the
application is busy is the message.This rather defeats the purpose
of having a network! What am I doing wrong?

Help would be appreciated - Max Coltheart.
.

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (11/07/90)

mcolthea@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Max Coltheart) writes:
> I am running a network consisting of a a IIcx with 80Mb hard
>disk and 12 Mac Pluses, using AppleShare fileserver. For almost
>every application on the hard disk, opening it from one of the
>Pluses prevents it from being opened on any of the others: the
>application is busy is the message.This rather defeats the purpose
>of having a network! What am I doing wrong?

It's supposed to work that way!  Try running Disinfectant (2.3 is current), it
should work, it is set up that way (it is network aware).

You can get around it in an easy way.  Set up the folders that contain the
applications so that users do not have "make changes" permissions.  Then things
will work fine.  There are other ways, but this should be easiest.  Let me know
if it doesn't work, my AppleShare manual and other references are at home.

Also, the purpose of a net is not necessarily to run applications from!  None
of my users run applications from the server.  They can download applications
if they trash the one on their hard drive, they can share files, and they can
store all of their files on a hard drive that gets backed up every day.  And,
in the case of updates and new software, they can download it from the server
so I don't have to go to all of the hard drives myself.  Please take note how
well this paragraph is aligned.

If you have hard drives on the clients, you can save traffic on the net by
having the applications run on each client.  If you're concerned about people
copying applications, get LaunchBreak, which lets them copy apps all they want,
but the apps won't run except on a Mac hooked up with a LaunchBreak server.

Feel free to correct me if I made a mistake, I don't have my references with
me!

--
Brian Aslakson

aslakson@cs.umn.edu
mac-admin@cs.umn.edu  <-= Macintosh related

BLI@psuvm.psu.edu (JEFF BRENDLE) (11/07/90)

Only certain applications can be (Apple people correct the terminology if I am
screwing it up) Multi-launched.  Some very popular ones require you to have a
*individual* copy for each user on the net that wants to open it at the same
time.  There are some that don't need this...best thing to do is read all the
doc's you can to see if it is indeed possible for the program to be opened by
two users simultaneously.  If not, provide enough copies of the application on
the server that a click on some "start-up document" will just open the first
available copy of the software.  So you might have say MacWrite II(1) through
(15) if you own that number of licenses and need that number for people to use
at a time.

Hope that helps...

Jeff.

lrm3@quads.uchicago.edu (Lawrence Reed Miller) (11/07/90)

mcolthea@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Max Coltheart) writes:
> I am running a network consisting of a a IIcx with 80Mb hard
>disk and 12 Mac Pluses, using AppleShare fileserver. For almost
>every application on the hard disk, opening it from one of the
>Pluses prevents it from being opened on any of the others: the
>application is busy is the message.This rather defeats the purpose
>of having a network! What am I doing wrong?

Make sure that the folder on the server from which the users are trying to
launch the applications from is locked.  If applications are still refusing
to launch on more than one machine at once, try setting the "Shared" attribute
of the non-functioning applications with ResEdit (do "Get Info" on the file
and you will see a checkbox called "Shared".  Set it.).  You didn't say which
applications were causing the problem, so I am not sure that this is the
solution, but I had some trouble getting NCSA Telnet to run off of a server
multiple machines and this procedure fixed it quite nicely.

If this doesn't help, drop me a line & I'll try to think of something else...

Lawrence Miller

nswita@peg.UUCP (11/16/90)

I likewise administrate an Appleshare network with a similar
configuation.  The problem of sharing applications can be overcome
in one of three ways:

a)      use network versions of the software - available for most
of the common
	packages.

b)      use a resource editor/file editor or Disktop to set the
shared bit in the
	file's information block

c)      use a nifty utility called DoppleMaker (available on the
BMUG CD-ROM
	or through them) to create indirect launchers (my name!)
	for the applicat
	-tions you wish to share.

I have all of the applications on our server set up to share using
one of the three methods above.  I have yet to find an application
that I have not been able to get to respond to one of these
methods.  Forget the somewhat useless inf provided in the original
topic - doesn't seem to answer the question really!

David Macalpine    |

SURFACE            | E-MAIL

| c/o P.O. Box 635,  | X.400
d.mcalpine/DISCOVERY/TELEMEMO/AUSTRALIA | ARMIDALE NSW 2350  | APC
peg:oconnor                             | Australia          |
UUCP  oconnor@peg.pegasus.oz                  |
| PH:w (067) 72 2361 |