[comp.sys.mac.apps] Suggestions - Good drawing program?

patzerk@pleiades.cps.msu.edu (Kurt E Patzer) (11/15/90)

   I am not a regular reader of this group, so hopefully this wasn't
just discussed in detail.  I'm interested in a drawing program which
is fairly easy to use, and produces postscript output.  I have seen
the program "canvas", and it comes close.  There are two features
missing, however.  First is the ability to produce a smooth curve which
is more complex than a section of an elipse.  What I would prefer is to
pick the two endpoints of the curve, and then bend and shape the curve
as needed from there.  Second, I would like the ability to combine 2
objects to form a single object.  For example, a cross can be made with
two lines.  I would like to take these two lines and combine them into
one object, so I dont have to worry about pulling them apart, etc.
Features that I like in canvas include its text handling capabilities,
and its ability to add an arrow point to the end of straight lines and
curves.
   Is there a good drawing program which preserves the nice features of
Canvas, but adds the couple of extra features I am looking for?  What
are
the current most popular Mac drawing programs?

Thanks in advance

KEP
patzerk@pleiades.cps.msu.edu (Kurt E. Patzer)
Michigan State University

minow@mountn.dec.com (Martin Minow) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov14.213128.1204@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>
patzerk@pleiades.cps.msu.edu (Kurt E Patzer) writes asks about suggestions
for a drawing program that can produce Postscript, generate smooth curves,
and group objects.

>   Is there a good drawing program which preserves the nice features of
>Canvas, but adds the couple of extra features I am looking for?

These are available in the current (2.1) release of Canvas (except for
direct Postscript output), and are well-described in its documentation.
Smooth curves are created using the Bezier tool, and you can group
and ungroup objects to your hearts content.

Martin Minow
minow@bolt.enet.dec.com

robertw@informix.com (Rob Weinberg) (11/16/90)

> What I would prefer is to pick the two endpoints of the curve,
>and shape the curve as needed from there.

You may want to look at a more recent version of Canvas. It has
shapable bezier curves that do this admirably.

> Second, I would like the ability to combine 2 objects to form a
> single object.

This ability is one of the reasons I prefer Canvas over MacDraw!
You can do this handily in Canvas - cut a polygon or bezier curve,
and join it to another curve. Or, of course, group objects
together.

I've used Canvas a lot because of these features. It can be quite
a bit slower than MacDraw when displaying complex graphics, however.

--
      Rob Weinberg                 Does a tree fall in the forest
{uunet,pyramid}!infmx!robertw      if  1: no one hears it

phil@waikato.ac.nz (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov14.213128.1204@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, patzerk@pleiades.cps.msu.edu (Kurt E Patzer) writes:
>    I am not a regular reader of this group, so hopefully this wasn't
> just discussed in detail.  I'm interested in a drawing program which
> is fairly easy to use, and produces postscript output.  I have seen
> the program "canvas", and it comes close.  There are two features
> missing, however.  First is the ability to produce a smooth curve which
> is more complex than a section of an elipse.  What I would prefer is to
> pick the two endpoints of the curve, and then bend and shape the curve
> as needed from there.  Second, I would like the ability to combine 2
> objects to form a single object.  For example, a cross can be made with
> two lines.  I would like to take these two lines and combine them into
> one object, so I dont have to worry about pulling them apart, etc.
> Features that I like in canvas include its text handling capabilities,
> and its ability to add an arrow point to the end of straight lines and
> curves.
>    Is there a good drawing program which preserves the nice features of
> Canvas, but adds the couple of extra features I am looking for?  What
> are
> the current most popular Mac drawing programs?

By PostScript output, do you mean standard Mac output (i.e. QuickDraw, which is
coverted to PostScript by the LaserWriter driver at print time), or genuine
PostScript a la FreeHand or Illustrator?  Since Canvas, as far as I am aware,
just produces QuickDraw, I'll concentrate on that sort of package.

The main contenders, IMHO,are MacDraw II and SuperPaint 2.0.  There are others,
but they are usually a bit short on features.

Both allow you to "group" objects, so that they are then treated as a single
object for all operations.

MacDraw II has an "arc" object, but it's very difficult to get exactly the
curve you want out of it.  SuperPaint 2.0, on the other hand, has a "Bezier
curve" which can be edited in a similar fashion to FreeHand 2.0 and Illustrator
88, and offers a great deal of control (e.g. drawing an "S" shape as a *single*
object is a trivial operation).  It's much simpler than either of FH or I88 to
use.  It also has "Auto Trace", like FreeHand and Illustrator, which has
adjustible sensitivity.

Text handling is pretty similar in both, and I don't know how Canvas compares.
Perhaps if you say what you like about Canvas' text handling, I can tell you
how the others compare.

Both have a variety of line styles, including arrows of adjustable shape at
either end, and dashed lines.

Both have an option to display cursor position and object size and orientation
in the current units.

MacDraw II has the ability to scale rulers, and haas some other features which
make it a better choice for *simple* drafting (e.g. maps, house plans).

SuperPaint has the advantage of being an integrated "Paint" and "Draw" package,
and, at least over here, is cheaper as well.  I like its interface better than
MacDraw.

MacDraw handles colour much better than SuperPaint (which is limited to the 7
standard QuickDraw or ImageWriter colours).  But if you are printing on a
LaserWriter, and/or don't have a colour screen, then this is not a problem with
SuperPaint.
--
Phil Etheridge (phil@waikato.ac.nz)                 /\  /\   -+-,--, .--, ._
Computer Services/Mathematics & Statistics         /  \/  \  / /--< /--  /

wirehead@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) (11/19/90)

You shoukd be able to do what you want in Canvas. As far as changing an arc,
all you need to do is take the arc, convert it to a Bezier curve, and then
you can mangle it all you want. If you are interested in the locking of two
items together, just select them both and then choose "Group" from under th
objects menu. >VOILA< You now have a drawinfg program that does exactly what
you want. Note that in order to convert arcs to beziers, you need vers 2.1,
the latest version from Deneba. I have no connection with Deneba except aas
some one who was _very_ impressed with their program...

The preceding was another fine product of the fevered brain of

		  wirehead@oxy.edu

"When you need the oddest opinions around, and you care enough to send only
the very best, use wirehead..."fnordfnordfnordfnordfnordfnordfnordfnordfnord