[comp.sys.mac.apps] Password programs

myers@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Franklin Myers) (11/14/90)

I co-manage a mac lab that has a only one SE containing a hard drive.
I would like to be able to restrict access to certain files and folders
according to their "security level."  What commercial/shareware/freeware
programs are available and what features do they have?

Thanks in advance,
Frank
P.S. please reply to myers@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (11/14/90)

In article <32819@netnews.upenn.edu> myers@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Franklin Myers) writes:
>I co-manage a mac lab that has a only one SE containing a hard drive.
>I would like to be able to restrict access to certain files and folders
>according to their "security level."  What commercial/shareware/freeware
>programs are available and what features do they have?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Frank
>P.S. please reply to myers@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

If only you were on a network... then you could load up Singleshare or
AppleShare or something similar and create groups and users, and restrict
access at will...

The only thing I can think of is the "DiskLock" program; not only does it
lock the WHOLE hard drive (you enter a password when you boot, and you
can't "cheat" by booting off a floppy) but it also has a "workstation
locker" where you can set a password to re-access your Macintosh when you
have to step away to go to the bathroom, coffee break, etc. and it also
has Folder Lock, where you can password-protect folders.
Donald Burr, c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.edu  | "I have a seperate mail-address
University of California, Berkeley        | for flames and other such nega-
Majoring in Computer Science              | tive msgs; it's called /dev/null."

jkain@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Kain) (11/15/90)

Another good CDEV is macPassword.  It allows you two levels of
security- if you know the password you're given access to everything.
If you don't have a password you can log in as "guest" where certain
folders can be protected.

On our 'guest' setup, we have the applications moved out onto the
desktop with all of their associated folders locked.  We also have the
system folder locked for guest startup.  The program also has a screen
-saver with optional password protection upon wakeup, and virus
detection.

Jeff Kain
jkain@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
--
"Quoth the raven, `Eat my shorts!'"

       -Edgar Allen Poe / Bart Simpson

smcguire@eagle.mit.edu (Scott McGuire) (11/15/90)

Myers) writes:
> I co-manage a mac lab that has a only one SE containing a hard drive.
> I would like to be able to restrict access to certain files and folders
> according to their "security level."  What commercial/shareware/freeware
> programs are available and what features do they have?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Frank

Here in my lab we use Empower II to protect the software (including the
System Folder) from unwanted access.  Empower II (there is also an Empower
I and I don't think it includes these features) works exactly like
Appleshare does for a server: you can set three sorts of priviledges for
each folder (see files in folder, see folders in folder, make changes to
stuff in folder) for three different sets: the owner, a group, or any
user.  You can also supposedly encode every folder which has its
priviledges restricted so that they can't be copied, but we haven't tried
that yet.

I offer this advice with one caveat: we have had what appear to be
Empower-related crashes on our protected machines.  I would be interested
in hearing from anyone else who suspects they have had such problems as
well, and what they did about them.

Empower II is sold commercially by Magna Software, 2540 North First
Street, Suite 302, San  Jose, California 95131, phone # (408) 433-5467.
Price: $296 per copy, although volume discounts are available.

--Scott McGuire
smcguire@eagle.mit.edu

jmv@sppy00.UUCP (J. Vickroy +1 614 764 4343) (11/20/90)

In article <jkain.658606772@silver> jkain@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Kain) writes:
=>Another good CDEV is macPassword.  It allows you two levels of

Is this a commercial product? If not, where can I get it?

--
Jim Vickroy
jmv@rsch.oclc.org