[comp.sys.mac.apps] Type Reunion opinions wanted

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (11/14/90)

I'm thinking about getting Adobe's Type Reunion and wondered what kind
of experiences people out there have been having with it.  Anything
from "It's great!" to "I wish it would work with XYZ" to "Be careful
of these gotchas" would be appreciated.

Post or email; I'll summarize to this group.  Thanks in advance (from
someone whose font menus are getting too darn long).

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (11/15/90)

Type Reunion? Haated it!

1. It prevented FullWrite's "walk-down menus" from working. OK, most of
you don't care; you're using Word.

2. In order to choose any style of a typeface, you *had* to use a submenu,
i.e., in order to choose Times Roman you had to pull down the Font menu,
go to Times and then slide over to the submenu and choose Roman. It sounds
like a small inconvenience, but it got on my nerves real fast.

I sent that puppy back to MacConnection and settled for shortening my font
menu by using Font Harmony (included with Suitcase II).

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (11/15/90)

In article <4320@lib.tmc.edu> drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez)
jwrites:
>Type Reunion? Haated it!

>2. In order to choose any style of a typeface, you *had* to use a submenu,
>i.e., in order to choose Times Roman you had to pull down the Font menu,
>go to Times and then slide over to the submenu and choose Roman. It sounds
>like a small inconvenience, but it got on my nerves real fast.

Hmm. I sent my opinion of Type Reunion (positive, by the way) to the original
poster in email, but I want to correct a misunderstanding here.

When using fonts with the "standard four" styles (normal, bold, italic, bold
italic), you should NOT have the screen fonts for all four styles installed.
Install ONLY the normal font. If you want to bold or italicize it, do so
through your application's equivalent of the style menu. If you follow this
rule, the only fonts that Type Reunion will assign submenus to are the ones
that DON'T follow the "standard four"--Eras, for example, which comes in
(I believe) Light, Book, Medium, Demi, Bold, and Ultra. Or Futura and
Futura Condensed. The big font families are the ones that Type Reunion was
created to handle.

By the way, this assumes you are using Adobe Type Manager as well--so that
you can get good screen representations of your bolds and italics even without
screen fonts installed. In my font menu of 30 or so families, only about
eight have submenus. (Of course, being a fiend for extrabolds and lights,
those are the eight I use most often...)

--Kathy

* "Screen font" = "bitmap font" = "suitcase" in the above posting.

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :
:..........................................................................:

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (11/15/90)

In article <39731@ut-emx.uucp> clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) writes:
>In article <4320@lib.tmc.edu> drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez)
>jwrites:
>>Type Reunion? Haated it!
>>
>>2. In order to choose any style of a typeface, you *had* to use a submenu,
>>i.e., in order to choose Times Roman you had to pull down the Font menu,
>>go to Times and then slide over to the submenu and choose Roman. It sounds
>>like a small inconvenience, but it got on my nerves real fast.
>
>When using fonts with the "standard four" styles (normal, bold, italic, bold
>italic), you should NOT have the screen fonts for all four styles installed.
>Install ONLY the normal font. If you want to bold or italicize it, do so
>through your application's equivalent of the style menu. If you follow this
>rule, the only fonts that Type Reunion will assign submenus to are the ones
>that DON'T follow the "standard four"--Eras, for example, which comes in
>(I believe) Light, Book, Medium, Demi, Bold, and Ultra. Or Futura and
>Futura Condensed. The big font families are the ones that Type Reunion was
>created to handle.
>
>By the way, this assumes you are using Adobe Type Manager as well--so that
>you can get good screen representations of your bolds and italics even without
>screen fonts installed. In my font menu of 30 or so families, only about
>eight have submenus. (Of course, being a fiend for extrabolds and lights,
>those are the eight I use most often...)

	Ok.  Right!  <grin>

	I've played a -lot- with Adobe Type Manager [ATM] (haven't had
a chance to get at 2.0, though), Adobe Type Reunion [ATR] and Suitcase
II (with associated utilities, like Font Harmony).

	Start with Suitcase II.  Indispensable.  Period.  And one of
the bells and whistles I find handy with Suitcase II is its ability to
build a font menu consisting of the the actual typefaces.  (Just like
what MacWrite II does).  It's useful for when you're just pondering
"Hmm... what'll look good with this?"  ATR, since it completely takes
over the font-menu creation, disables this feature in Suitcase II as
well as MacWrite II's similar feature.  Plain Chicago font menus. Ick.

	By the way, another nice feature of Suitcase II is to show
which Postscript font description file is associated with which
bitmap.  It can really be handy.  But totally unrelated to the subject
at hand.  <grin>

	Now, Font Harmony, which comes with Suitcase II.  It combines
a family of bitmaps into one coherent file, so that rather than have
Palatino Book, B Palatino Bold, O Palatino Oblique, and BO Palatino
Oblique, you have just Palatino.  But when you Style Palatino into
Italic, you get the O Palatino Oblique bitmap, rather than a simple
slanted version of regular Palatino.  So, who cares?  Well, if you're
using ATM, when you call out for a bold face or oblique, ATM builds it
-if- you don't have the bitmap installed.  If you're impatient (like I
am) and/or use slower Macs (like I have to) it's nice to have the bold
and oblique bitmaps in the frequently-used 10 and 12 point sizes.
Otherwise, you have to wait on ATM to draw the styled type.

	Let's see if I can bring this all together now.  If you're
using ATM, it's nice to have the 10 and 12 point bitmaps of the
typeface in -all- styles so you don't have to of the typeface so you
don't have to wait on ATM to draw them.  So, know you have all these
styled bitmap fonts in your menu.

	If you use Font Harmony on the typefaces, you automatically
get the styled bitmap with you style the normal typeface, and the
WYSIWYG font menu feature of Suitcase II and MacWrite II is still
available to you.

	If you use ATR, you have to go down the menu and then juke
over to the secondary menu to get the styled typeface.  And the
WYSIWYG font menu feature of of Suitcase II and MacWrite II isn't
available.

	For these reasons, I don't use ATR.

Some Notes:

o Font Harmony also works on Demi typefaces, I've found, often
combining the Demi and DemiOblique together.

o These arguments assume you aren't using a "cranking" Mac such as a
IIfx or IIci, where the wait for ATM is negligible.  Also, the
increased speed of 2.0 might make ATM negligible on everything but a
Classic and LC.  If this is the case, then the styled bitmaps aren't
needed (we used them because we didn't want to wait on ATM,
remember?), and most of the argument above is moot.  That is, unless
you -really- like WYSIWYG font menus.

o I am in no way associated with Adobe, 5th Generation, or Apple
Computer.  Nor are these the opinions of The Ohio State University or
Academic Computing Services.  My opinions.  Mine mine mine mine!

--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1        + "This is Serious.  He is Lost.
 The Ohio State University ACS-FM-OCES |  We must begin the Search at once."

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov15.141545.15598@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@magnus.
ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:

>	I've played a -lot- with Adobe Type Manager [ATM] (haven't had
>a chance to get at 2.0, though), Adobe Type Reunion [ATR] and Suitcase
>II (with associated utilities, like Font Harmony).

Ah, you definitely want 2.0. A noticeable increase in speed, not to mention
that Adobe is offering again their "upgrade ATM and get any font package
for $39" deal.  If anyone from Adobe is reading (hi,dkletter!) I'd like
to say thanks for that offer, and keep it up.

>	Start with Suitcase II.  Indispensable.  Period.  And one of
>the bells and whistles I find handy with Suitcase II is its ability to
>build a font menu consisting of the the actual typefaces.  (Just like
>what MacWrite II does).  It's useful for when you're just pondering
>"Hmm... what'll look good with this?"  ATR, since it completely takes
>over the font-menu creation, disables this feature in Suitcase II as
>well as MacWrite II's similar feature.  Plain Chicago font menus. Ick.

Ah, well... I've disabled that feature in my Suitcase because I find it of
limited usefulness (one can't REALLY tell what a font looks like from a
12-point bitmap) and a definite drag on the speed of opening the menu :-)
Different strokes, I guess.

>	Now, Font Harmony, which comes with Suitcase II.  It combines
> [stuff omitted]
>slanted version of regular Palatino.  So, who cares?  Well, if you're
>using ATM, when you call out for a bold face or oblique, ATM builds it
>-if- you don't have the bitmap installed.  If you're impatient (like I
>am) and/or use slower Macs (like I have to) it's nice to have the bold
>and oblique bitmaps in the frequently-used 10 and 12 point sizes.
>Otherwise, you have to wait on ATM to draw the styled type.

Hmm. I have an SE, not exactly a speed demon, but I do have it crammed
with RAM and my font cache is around 900K. That plus ATM 2.0 has reduced
redraw time to an acceptable level for me.

I used the earliest version of Font Harmony and didn't like it all that
much, but it sounds as though it's worth a second look. Thanks for the
info, Jim!

--Kathy

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :
:..........................................................................:

bcs-jim@pro-angmar.UUCP (Jim Rinaldo) (11/16/90)

Steve:
I did a review of it a couple of months ago and this is my ATR summary:
It is a neat program, but if you are getting Adobe Illus. 3.0, it isn't worth
it.
The interface pretends to be macdraw-like, but sometimes doesn't act that way.
Selecting things can be a little screwy.
Also, make sure Helvetica is on your system, since this is what it defaults to
for type.
One More thing: The color specs in the program are in CMYK; if you are doing a
text effect, then saving in Illustrator format, MAKE SURE to reset the colors,
including black!
One More More thing: the program's most innovative DA feature is the snapshot
camera, where you can take a snapshot of the page under the DAs window, and it
will show up as a template to bend text to. Very neat!
I give the program a solid 7.8; screwy interface brought it down from a 9.
Jim Rinaldo
Editor, Computer-Aided Publishing Solutions (CAPs)
The Boston Computer Society
BCS: (617) 367-8080, FAX: 367-8530

pro-angmar!bcs-jim@alphalpha.com

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (11/16/90)

In article <39731@ut-emx.uucp>, clouds@ccwf (Kathy Strong) writes:
>[...] the only fonts that Type Reunion will assign submenus to are the ones
>that DON'T follow the "standard four"--Eras, for example, which comes in
>(I believe) Light, Book, Medium, Demi, Bold, and Ultra. Or Futura and
>Futura Condensed. The big font families are the ones that Type Reunion was
>created to handle.

This convinces me, since that's exactly my situation.  As long as I
can continue to use the choices in the Mac's Style menus for the
standard fonts, I don't lose anything, and Type Reunion will eliminate
the need for head scratching when it comes time to figure out just
what Font Harmony has helpfully harmonized for me...  :-)

Actually, I've been using Font Harmony for a long while now, and I'd
say that as long as you don't start using fonts with "Demi", "Book",
"Light", etc., styles, it's all you need.

Also, the summary from those who emailed their opinions to me was
strongly positive.  So it looks like I'll be getting it sometime soon.

Thanks, one and all, for the opinions, hints and suggestions.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."
   baumgart@esquire.dpw.com     |
   cmcl2!esquire!baumgart       |                           - David Letterman

meuchen@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (Paul Eric Menchen) (11/16/90)

Just thought I would throw in my comments and respond to a few others.

First, I love Type Reunion. We had it where I worked this summer,
where we also had lots of typefaces. I like seeing the real
designations and of course the convienence.

Response: Some people complained they didn't get the WYSIWYG. As I
recall holding down the shift key before selecting font from a menu
will allow it to behave without ATR. One of our employees who liked
Suitcase II used this to display the faces. Personally, I never use
this feature. I either know what the face looks like (most the old
Adobe ones), or wouldn't rely on a 72 dpi bitmap to make such a
judgement call. I would refer to my _Font & Function_ or other vendor
catalogue.

Finally, I had no compatibility problems. BTW, I don't use MicroSoft
software :^)

-Eric
meuchen@grad1.cis.upenn.edu

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (11/16/90)

In article <1966.mac.apps@pro-angmar> bcs-jim@pro-angmar.UUCP (Jim Rinaldo)
writes:

>I did a review of it a couple of months ago and this is my ATR summary:
>It is a neat program, but if you are getting Adobe Illus. 3.0, it isn't worth
>it.
>The interface pretends to be macdraw-like, but sometimes doesn't act that way.
>Selecting things can be a little screwy.
>Also, make sure Helvetica is on your system, since this is what it defaults to
>for type.
 [stuff omitted]
>I give the program a solid 7.8; screwy interface brought it down from a 9.

I'm not sure, but I *think* Jim is reviewing Type Align and not Type Reunion
here...  :-)

--Kathy

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :
:..........................................................................:

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (11/17/90)

ATR hasn't worked on my system since the day I bought it. The system crashes
whenever I use On Cue and numerous apps as well (e.g., FreeHand).
Adobe's response is that it must be some other init's fault :-)
I'm hoping they'll eventually fix it :-(
(In the mean time FrameMaker does the same thing itself, so I'm content.)

--
Frank Kolnick,
Basis Computer Systems Inc.

jkain@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Kain) (11/19/90)

ATR crashes on my system when running just Finder.  Everything works
fine until you quit an application, where every application then
crashes with a system error.

I'm running System 6.0.5 on a MacPlus, 2.5MB RAM, and a Radius
Accelerator.  Anybody have this problem also?

Jeff Kain

jkain@silver.ucs.indiana.edu

--
"Quoth the raven, `Eat my shorts!'"

       -Edgar Allen Poe / Bart Simpson

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (11/20/90)

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) writes:

>When using fonts with the "standard four" styles (normal, bold, italic, bold
>italic), you should NOT have the screen fonts for all four styles installed.
>Install ONLY the normal font. If you want to bold or italicize it, do so
>through your application's equivalent of the style menu..............

Unfortunately, if you only have the normal screen font installed, then
you will not be able to pick a "true" bold or italic variant for the
font choosen.  This is no big deal for the screen but you will be
printing a "faked" italic not a true italic font as you have no way
to choose the true italic font.

On the imagewriter this is no big deal, but on the LaserWriter, I
can see a decided difference.  The same holds true for Bold and
Bold-Italic

--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (11/20/90)

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:

>	If you use Font Harmony on the typefaces, you automatically
>get the styled bitmap with you style the normal typeface, and the
>WYSIWYG font menu feature of Suitcase II and MacWrite II is still
>available to you.

I assume that you mena that the font menus show up in the
actual font, instead of plain old Chicago.  This is a very
nice feature but Suitcase is extremely slow in building
this menu.  MenuFonts is extremely fast at this and will let
you show "unreadable" fonts, like symbols, cairo, Zapf Dingbat,
etc, in a default font, like Chicago.
--

norman@d.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) (11/20/90)

From article <5252@crystal9.UUCP>, by derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa):
> clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) writes:
>
>>When using fonts with the "standard four" styles (normal, bold, italic, bold
>>italic), you should NOT have the screen fonts for all four styles installed.
>>Install ONLY the normal font. If you want to bold or italicize it, do so
>>through your application's equivalent of the style menu..............
>
> Unfortunately, if you only have the normal screen font installed, then
> you will not be able to pick a "true" bold or italic variant for the
> font choosen.  [...]

Kathy's advice was qualified with something like 'If you're using ATM...'.
If you have the configuration "ATM + book bitmap + book and italic outlines",
then when you chose the italic face ATM will generate it from the italic
outline (i.e. it _won't_ slant the book face). Thus you _do_ get true
italic, bold, bold italic, etc. if you have the appropriate printer fonts
installed.
--
Norman Graham   <norman@a.cs.okstate.edu>   {cbosgd,rutgers}!okstate!norman
The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect the views of