Date: Fri, 2 Nov 90 11:59:54 -0600
From: "Omar Souka" <souka@uh.msc.umn.edu>
Subject: Re: Info on IGOR graphics package

IGOR is exactly what you want.  It's very fast and powerful, has its own
macro language,
has a large set of built in scientific functions, you can link your own
code with it.  It's
definitely a good tool for a scientist.

Omar Souka
Minnesota Supercomputer Center
souka@msc.edu
From: jcd@ecegabriel.ncsu.edu (Joseph C. Davis)
To: psych@watserv1

In article <1990Nov2.164401.27802@watserv1.waterloo.edu> you write:
>We have a faculty member here who is interested in doing some
>plotting/charting. He would like something better than Cricket
>Graph and is considering IGOR. If any one out there has comments
>good or bad could you please send them to one of the addresses
>below. He is interested in scientific graphs and has no need for
>colour, 3D or pie charts.
>Thanks
i have used IGOR for exactly this purpose.  the major problem with IGOR is that
when you perform any operation on a set of data, the data must have a destination
that is one of the existing sets of data. you can't just create a new set of
data out of nowhere like you can in cricket. of course, you can load some
dummy sets, but they must be the proper length to work.  IGOR does some nice
work with fits and smoothing, but it is NOT as easy a program to use as
cricket.

jcd

/ Joseph C. Davis							      /
/ North Carolina State University  	e-mail:  jcd@ecegabriel.ncsu.edu      /
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 90 13:45:00 PDT
From: hines@portia.stanford.edu (Melissa Hines)

Richard,
   Our lab has been using Igor for about a year and a half (or is it two
and a half years?).  Anyway, we love it.  It is super, does everything
we want and much more, has great tech support, is fast, etc.  I strongly
suggest that you buy it.  I have a couple of postings to comp.sys.mac
that I wrote up shortly after receiving Igor and I will append those to
the end of this message.  These remarks are somewhat dated and do not
talk about the latest version of Igor (1.2) which is even
better/faster/more beautiful.
   If you have any more questions, please contact me.

Melissa A. Hines
Dept. of Chemistry
Stanford University

PS>  Sorry the format of the following is so grotty.

Written 5/21/89:

I am in charge of the computer facilities for a rather large physical
chemistry
lab at Stanford University.  There has been a lot of demand in our lab
for a
reasonable graphing package for the Macintosh.  We have been using both
Cricket
Graph and Trapeze, but they are woefully inadequate for our needs.  In
particular we need software that can handle relatively large numbers of
data
points (up to 30,000 or so), print at the full resolution of our laser
printer,
and perform simple analysis.  Recently we acquired IGOR from
WaveMetrics, a new
data analysis and graphics package aimed expressly at the scientific and
engineering market.  Igor has significantly exceeded our best
expectations.
After using Igor for approximately six weeks, I would like to share my
enthusiasm with you.

Before describing all of the features of Igor, let me first stress that
Igor is
not meant to be a Cricket Graph replacement!  Igor is an extremely
powerful tool
and as such is not as simple to use as Cricket Graph or other low level
graphing
packages.  In our lab, most people have had to spend a few hours playing
with
the examples in the manual to feel comfortable with the Igor
environment.
Although Igor does follow all of the usual Macintosh conventions and has
a very
friendly user interface, it does require a bit from the user.

The first impression everyone has of Igor is that is _FAST_.  I mean
REALLY
FAST.  For example, for a graph of 1500 points, it takes approximately
11
seconds to load the data from disk and 7 seconds to graph it (on a Mac
SE w/ 2
Meg of memory).  Zooming in on a portion of the graph is almost
instantaneous (~
2 seconds).  Igor is the only graphing package that I have used that
uses off
screen bitmaps to draw the data.  By doing this, screen updates and such
are
blindingly fast (especially when compared to programs such as Cricket
Graph and
Trapeze).

Another very nice feature of Igor is that the length of the data is
limited only
by available memory.

Igor is not only a very advanced graphics package, it also contains very
impressive data analysis tools.  First, it can fit data to a curve
(linear,
polynomial, Gaussian, Lorentzian, exponential, etc.) and return
statistics on
the fit.  They use routines from  "Numerical Recipes" by Press,
Flannery,
Teukolsky and Vetterling, so I am fairly confident of their methods.
Igor can
also easily generate graphs of mathematical functions. There are also
many
features that I have not yet had occasion to use.  Igor can perform both
a fast
Fourier transform and an inverse FFT.  It has a number of built in
functions
such as Bessel functions, modified Bessel functions, binomial
distributions,
noise functions, gamma functions, and so on.  It can perform complex
arithmetic
and display real and imaginary parts of functions.  The list of
capabilities is
quite long, and I'm sure that a posting such as this could never do
justice to
its full capabilities.

The graphing capabilities of Igor are equally impressive.  In brief, it
can:
1) print at the full resolution of the printer.  This includes drawing
hairlines.   2) handle subscripts and superscripts in the title, labels
and
annotations.   3) draw _true_ dashed and dotted lines   4) print
multiple graphs
per page or multiple pages per graph.  When you do the latter, it even
draws
unobtrusive ticks to help you trim and line up the pages.

Perhaps what impressed me the most about Igor is the technical support
from
WaveMetrics.  After playing with Igor for a couple of weeks, I received
questionnaire on my impressions of their product.  After filling it out,
e-mailed them some additional comments.  In my letter I mentioned that I
thought
a peak integration macro would be useful to many users.  The next
morning I
checked my mail (at 10 AM) and found the macro waiting for me!  I have
been in
contact with them a couple of times since then and have found them to be
very
interested in my opinions and EXTREMELY helpful.  I will restrain myself
from
relating my experiences with Cricket Graph.

At this point you are probably wondering why you have never seen
for such a wonderful product.  Apparently, WaveMetrics would like to
wait until
the next version is out before stepping up their marketing.  (Note: I
believe
the upgrade will be free to registered owners).

In conclusion, I think that Igor is a MUST HAVE piece of software for
anyone in
the sciences or engineering.  It can be ordered from:
WaveMetrics
P.O. Box 2088         Lake Oswego, OR  97035         (503) 635-8849
        AppleLink D1832 I believe the current price is $195.
________________________________________ Written 8/1/89:

In our lab, we have been using Igor, a data analysis and graphing
program for
the Macintosh by WaveMetrics, for about 4 months.  We are EXTREMELY
happy with
it.  I have been beta testing the next version, 1.10, and have just
gotten
permission to describe the new features to the net.  The new version
should be
shipping within the next two weeks.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Igor, here is a brief summary
of the
current release, 1.0: * It is _VERY_ fast.  Zooming and scale changes
are almost
instantaneous. * Length of data sets is limited only by available
memory. * You
can plot and manipulate mathematical functions easily. * Labels can have
subscripts, superscripts, bold face, underlines, etc. * Igor graphs at
full
resolution of printer. * It has a very powerful macro language. * Many
different
types of data analysis are supported.       FFT and IFFT (also smoothing
and
Hanning)       linear least squares fit to lines, polynomials,
Gaussians,
Lorentzians,             exponentials (single and double).
integration and
differentiation       sorting       error analysis on fits * In
addition,
WaveMetrics has always provided exemplary product support

Igor 1.10 has many enhancements to the original release.  These include:
* Error
bars are now fully supported.  There are now a number of options.  For
example,
error bars can be either a constant percentage of the value or can be
entered
individually. * Legends are now much easier to use. * The user now has
full
control over fine details such as the width of axis lines.

Igor 1.10 also contains a number of completely new features. * PAGE
LAYOUT:  You
can now position and size your graphs on the page by dragging and
stretching
them.  You can print multiple graphs and tables on one page and even
import
PICTs from other programs.  This is an extremely impressive and useful
feature.
* NON-LINEAR LEAST SQUARES FITTING TO _ANY_ FUNCTION:  You can now enter
any
function you like and have Igor fit your data to it.  You can also
constrain
parameters in the fit. * XOPs:  XOPs are similar to HyperCard XCMDs.
They allow
you to write your own pieces of code to attach to Igor.  For example,
you can
use them to do heavy duty number crunching and then pass the results
back to
Igor.  Alternatively, you could use them to interface a Macintosh to an
experiment. * BATCH MODE:  Igor now has a special batch mode to allow
you to
analyze/plot/print the results of other programs in the background.
Basically,
you direct the output of the other program and the necessary commands to
special Igor batch file.  Igor will then process the data while you work
on the
other program.

In conclusion, we have found that Igor is an extremely useful and
versatile
program for data analysis and graphing on the Macintosh.  I highly
recommend it
to anyone in science or engineering.

Igor can be obtained directly from WaveMetrics:
WaveMetrics@AppleLink.Apple.com     (Internet)      WaveMetrics
(AppleLink) Last I heard, the price was $195.

                                    Melissa Hines
Department of Chemistry                                     Stanford
University
Hines@Cellbio.Stanford.Edu
-----------------------------------
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 90 16:17:10 PST
From: hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA (Brad  Hedstrom)
Subject: Info on IGOR graphics package

I've used Igor for a couple of months and am quite impressed with it.
The only thing that it doesn't have that I sometimes need is 3D plots.
Everything else about it is excellent.
Brad Hedstrom, University of Victoria, ECE Dept.
Internet:  hedstrom@sirius.uvic.ca
UUCP:   ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!uvicctr!hedstrom
To: psych@watserv1
Subject: IGOR Graphics Package

Richard Crispin,
   I've been using IGOR for about a year now.  I have found the package
to be extremely useful and capable.  Additionally I used the program
for all the plots in my Ph.D. Thesis; the quality was excellent and
I found no shortcoming.  The only problem with the program is that it
has a rather steep learning curve. I do not feel that this fact should
stop anyone from trying IGOR since its power is unmatched and in my
opinion is the only true "scientific" package out there for the mac.
					Jim Howard
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 90 08:47:58 EST
From: Erich J Smythe <"ANDREW::esmythe"@ATL.dnet.ge.com>
Subject: Re: IGOR
To: PSYCH@watserv1

I use IGOR extensively in my own research.  It is a 2D package based
on a "wave" data structure.  Waves can be constructed by data files,
expressions, and functions/macros in IGOR's command and expression
language.  It supports the "mac--based" interface, a command interface,
and a primative editor for entering function and macro definitions.

For me it was money well spent.

I can answer specific questions be email at the following address
(the from field is likely to be wrong):

esmythe@atl.dnet.ge.com

or by phone at (609)866-6643.

Wavemetrics, the people who sell IGOR, are at

WaveMetrics@apple.com

-erich smythe
esmythe@atl.dnet.ge.com
GE Advanced Technology Labs
Moorestown, NJ
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 90 08:41:15 -0500
From: steve pollack <Steve.Pollack@UC.EDU>
To: psych@watserv1

We use IGOR for a variety of applications and I have not found anything
that comes close.  Kaleidagraph is somewhat similar, but the interface
is clumsy.  If you have a routine set of procedures or a special data
manipulation you need to perform, it is easy to program IGOR's macro
language.  Their support has been excellent, and they are planning a 3D
graphing capability down the pike.  I recommend it without hesitation

Steven K. Pollack               |
Assistant Professor		|
Department of Materials Science |   I notice that you are still
  & Engineering                 |   using polymers!
University of Cincinnati	|
498 Rhodes Hall  ML#12          |     - Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0012       |       U.S.S. Enterprise
pollack@ucunix.san.uc.edu       |
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 90 13:25:12 -0500
To: psych@watserv1

We have been using IGOR here for several months, and it is GREAT!
We use up to 60,000 points per graph, 10 graphs per "experiment", and
it works very nicely.  It's about a million times faster than Cricket
Graph, and far more versatile.  The macro facilities are quite extensive
and easy to use.

I especially like the user interface:  You call up a dialog box from the
standard menu interface, and as you click etc. in the box, it presents you
with the command line it generates.  When you click "do it", the command
line is entered into the "history" window.  Later, after you've done the
same command a few times, you tend to pick up the command line and just
type that, saving a reach for the mouse.  Basically, it teaches you the
keyboard shortcuts as you go along.  This program is hands-down the best
combination of user-friendliness and power of ANYTHING I've seen, on any
machine.,

If you need to do a macro which does specific things to each point in
the graph (not doing the same operation on each point), you will find it
rather slow.  In this case, you should also buy the XOP Toolkit, which
basically allows you to write your own functions in C.  Of course, you also
need a compiler (either MPW or THINK) to do that.

By the way, you need at least 1.5 Meg of free space to run it.  We have it
on a IIci with 8Meg, and right now we have IGOR set to 4500k partition size
(for lots of big graphs).  The portrait display is also nice for big
experiments, but not necessary.

--Kevin			best e-mail:  boyce@amo.mit.edu
			phone:  (617) 253-0208
From: owen@raven.phys.washington.edu (Russell Owen)
To: psych@watserv1 (R.Crispin - Psychology)
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 1990 14:13:35 PDT

IGOR has a demo available, I believe. I suggest trying it before buying.

I think IGOR is the best 2D graphing and analysis program available.
For more analysis, or 3D, try something else (Maple? Mathematica?).

IGOR has a slightly odd user iterface. It converts all operations into text
strings (which can be used instead of the equivelent menu and dialog box
operations, if you like). It does this conversion quickly and unobtrusively.
Nonetheless, it takes a bit of getting used to. But it's well worth the
effort, because it allows very powerful macros.

It is a scientifically oriented program. It makes first-rate scatter and
line graphs, but I doubt it does pie charts. It has excellent control
over appearance and layout (e.g. axis labelling, line type, etc.) but
doesn't offer fake 3-d depth and other business presentation crap.

Minusus:
- strictly x-y 2D graphing. No polar plots (a very serious omission for us).
- absolutely no possible support of 3D graphing or analysis, period.

Plusses:
- excellent on-line help
- fairly intuitive (but takes a bit of getting used to)
- very powerful graphing and analysis
- good support for graph layouts
- damn fast
- superb macro capability (powerful and easy to use)

Russell Owen
owen@raven.phys.washington.edu
Astronomy Dept. FM-20
University of Washington