[comp.sys.mac.apps] Chinese word processor for the Macintosh wanted

ack@ingres.com (David Ackerman) (11/21/90)

  I am trying to find a decent (and hopefully affordable!) Chinese word
processor for the Macintosh. I know of two: FeiMa-P, and BrushWriter 2.
The Wu Corporation, makers of FeiMa-P, have reportedly gone out of
business, and I do not want to buy an orphaned product. BrushWriter 2
does not work with a Mac II, which means it has not been enhanced in
a LONG time. There is also Mishu, which is a desk accessory for input
of Hanzi into English documents, but I am really looking for a true
Chinese system. I have the Chinese Apple system software (ChineseTalk),
but it's not much fun without applications that work with it properly.

  Does anyone out there know of any other programs that exist? My ideal
word processor would have pinyin input as a minimum, but other input
methods (based on radicals or traditional phonetic symbols) would be
nice too. It would also have at least 6500 traditional and simplified
characters, Postscript output capability, and Postscript (or TrueType)
fonts. Hey, I can dream, can't I?

  I have been quite disappointed with Apple's lack of enthusiasm and
direction for Chinese Macs. The Chinese system software has not gotten
anywhere NEAR the amount of resources devoted to it that the Kanji
system software has. Apple has also not "evangelized" developers to
make Chinese versions of their products, or tried very hard to market
Chinese Macs. IBM PC compatibles virtually own the Chinese market. This
is understandable, considering that they want to make money, not something
China as a whole has very much of right now. But there is certainly a
market now in the US, Hong Kong, and Taiwan, albeit a small one. The key
thing Apple is missing is that China itself is a HUGE potential market.
If they do not establish a presence now, it will be too late by the
time the Chinese market comes alive, and everyone is drooling over it.
So, Apple, I say to you: get off your pi1 gu !  Tao3 yan4 !

   +-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
  /  David Ackerman                          |  UNIX Systems Administrator  \
 |   ack@ingres.com    (smart mailers)       |  ASK Computer Systems Inc.    |
 |   rtech!ack@sun.com (non-smart mailers)   |  Ingres Products Division     |
 |   (415) 748-2637    (voice mailers)       |  1080 Marina Village Parkway  |
  \  (415) 748-2770    (FAX)                 |  Alameda, CA 94501           /
   +-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

lai@Apple.COM (Ed Lai) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov21.054005.16471@ingres.Ingres.COM> ack@k9.Ingres.COM (David Ackerman) writes:
>The Wu Corporation, makers of FeiMa-P, have reportedly gone out of
>business, and I do not want to buy an orphaned product. BrushWriter 2
>does not work with a Mac II, which means it has not been enhanced in
>a LONG time. There is also Mishu, which is a desk accessory for input
>of Hanzi into English documents, but I am really looking for a true
>Chinese system. I have the Chinese Apple system software (ChineseTalk),
>but it's not much fun without applications that work with it properly.

You may try TurboWriter from TransPac Software Inc
4340 Stevens Creek Blvd, #203, San Jose, CA 95129
(408)984-8475.

There are two different versions for the simplified or the traditional system.
It runs on top of the corresponding ChineseTalk.

There are a few other script manager WP systems, but they are not easily
available in the US.

Nisus 3.01 is supposed to work well under ChineseTalk too.

>  Does anyone out there know of any other programs that exist? My ideal
>word processor would have pinyin input as a minimum, but other input
>methods (based on radicals or traditional phonetic symbols) would be
>nice too. It would also have at least 6500 traditional and simplified
>characters, Postscript output capability, and Postscript (or TrueType)
>fonts. Hey, I can dream, can't I?

With ChineseTalk you would be using the character set there and the input
method there. If you want to use pinyin for the traditional system (which
only comes with traditional phonetic symbols) you can e-mail me for a copy
of an input method that would do pinyin (or Wade-Gile or Yale) that also
does it in phrases. Other people may contact me but again I must remind
them that the input method would only work if you have ChineseTalk 6.03
or above otherwise it would not work at all.

For postscript output (i.e. not bitmap output to a postscript printer) you
have to get a postscript printer that supports two byte codes. You can get
it in Asia but it is not quite available in the US.

>  I have been quite disappointed with Apple's lack of enthusiasm and
>direction for Chinese Macs. The Chinese system software has not gotten
>anywhere NEAR the amount of resources devoted to it that the Kanji
>system software has. Apple has also not "evangelized" developers to
>make Chinese versions of their products, or tried very hard to market
>Chinese Macs. IBM PC compatibles virtually own the Chinese market. This
>is understandable, considering that they want to make money, not something
>China as a whole has very much of right now. But there is certainly a
>market now in the US, Hong Kong, and Taiwan, albeit a small one. The key
>thing Apple is missing is that China itself is a HUGE potential market.
>If they do not establish a presence now, it will be too late by the
>time the Chinese market comes alive, and everyone is drooling over it.
>So, Apple, I say to you: get off your pi1 gu !  Tao3 yan4 !

I agree that Apple has not done enough on the Chinese system. (Disclaimer:
I do not work for Apple international and this is purely my personal
opinion). Nonetheless, what is available and can be done on the Apple Chinese
system is much more interesting than what is being done on IBM PC compatibles.

>   +-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
>  /  David Ackerman                          |  UNIX Systems Administrator  \
> |   ack@ingres.com    (smart mailers)       |  ASK Computer Systems Inc.    |
> |   rtech!ack@sun.com (non-smart mailers)   |  Ingres Products Division     |
> |   (415) 748-2637    (voice mailers)       |  1080 Marina Village Parkway  |
>  \  (415) 748-2770    (FAX)                 |  Alameda, CA 94501           /
>   +-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

/* Disclaimer: All statments and opinions expressed are my own */
/* Edmund K. Lai                                               */
/* Apple Computer, MS37-UP                                     */
/* 20525 Mariani Ave,                                          */
/* Cupertino, CA 95014                                         */
/* (408)974-6272                                               */
zW@h9cOi

changm@ux.acs.umn.edu (Darda M. T. Chang) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov21.054005.16471@ingres.Ingres.COM> ack@k9.Ingres.COM (David Ackerman) writes:

>  I am trying to find a decent (and hopefully affordable!) Chinese word
>processor for the Macintosh. I know of two: FeiMa-P, and BrushWriter 2.
>The Wu Corporation, makers of FeiMa-P, have reportedly gone out of
>business, and I do not want to buy an orphaned product. BrushWriter 2
>does not work with a Mac II, which means it has not been enhanced in
>a LONG time. There is also Mishu, which is a desk accessory for input
>of Hanzi into English documents, but I am really looking for a true
>Chinese system. I have the Chinese Apple system software (ChineseTalk),
>but it's not much fun without applications that work with it properly.
Are you talking about ChineseTalk 6.0.5 or the other versions?
Version 6.0.5 is much better than the other versions.

LaserWriter II NTXA is special for Chinese System, I think. There is harddisk
, put by some PostScript Chinese characters, connected to this LaserWriter.

The other Chinese system you may like to try is MacChina 3.1 made by
Great Eastern Software company in Taiwan.

MacChina 3.1 can let you use Chinese OutLine Font by connecting IBM PC.
The reason doing that is because PC is major in Taiwan market so far.
Designing a Chinese Card for Mac is extremely expensive if you compare with the
one for PC.

>  Does anyone out there know of any other programs that exist? My ideal
one for PC.

>  Does anyone out there know of any other programs that exist? My ideal
Maybe someone can tell me if there is a Chinese Word Processing Program.
Up to now, I hear no better news!

Darda