[comp.sys.mac.apps] password protection of files/folders

F68411@BARILVM.BITNET (11/22/90)

Does anyone know of a reliable program to password protect files or folders
on the hard disk?  Many macs here are used by multiple users, and we need
some way of assuring that files are private and secure.  I would prefer
something in the public domain, if such a program exists there.

Annice

phil@waikato.ac.nz (11/23/90)

In article <90326.152617F68411@BARILVM.BITNET>, F68411@BARILVM.BITNET writes:
> Does anyone know of a reliable program to password protect files or folders
> on the hard disk?  Many macs here are used by multiple users, and we need
> some way of assuring that files are private and secure.  I would prefer
> something in the public domain, if such a program exists there.

I suggest that the users carry their own documents on a floppy disk.  I would
if I was working in such a situation -- I wouldn't trust other users not to
delete them.  Noone can read a document if the disk isn't in a computer...

--
Phil Etheridge (phil@waikato.ac.nz)                 /\  /\   -+-,--, .--, ._
Computer Services/Mathematics & Statistics         /  \/  \  / /--< /--  /

patel@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Amit Patel ) (11/23/90)

>I suggest that the users carry their own documents on a floppy disk.  I would
>if I was working in such a situation -- I wouldn't trust other users not to
>delete them.  Noone can read a document if the disk isn't in a computer...

This isn't always practical, Phil.  I for one will soon have to make the Mac
that belongs to a group I'm involved with available for public access.  Some
applications I'll have no problem letting people use, but I'd like to password
protect, say, the bulletin board folder, so noone can screw up the work I've
done.  In other words, I need a password system, and your floppy idea just
won't do.

--
Jeff Porten, Annenberg School for Communication, UPenn (sjporte@asc.upenn.edu)

RBF@psuvm.psu.edu (Bob Fowles) (11/24/90)

SUM II from Symantec includes a utility to encrypt/decrypt files.  Not sure
about folders.
   Bob Fowles, Penn State

yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) (11/25/90)

In article <90326.152617F68411@BARILVM.BITNET>, F68411@BARILVM.BITNET writes...
>Does anyone know of a reliable program to password protect files or folders
>on the hard disk?  Many macs here are used by multiple users, and we need

FileGuard 2.5 has the ability to selectively protect folders and files.

>some way of assuring that files are private and secure.  I would prefer
>something in the public domain, if such a program exists there.

It's a commercial package. There are no PD programs that I know of that
have this capability, nor would I trust my Macintosh to any such PD
program... - Ross

>>> yahnke@macc.wisc.edu <<<

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (11/25/90)

F68411@BARILVM.BITNET writes:

>Does anyone know of a reliable program to password protect files or folders
>on the hard disk?  Many macs here are used by multiple users, and we need
>some way of assuring that files are private and secure.  I would prefer
>something in the public domain, if such a program exists there.

FileGuard from ASD Software is the only serious effort at a complete
access-managed environment on a Mac. $139 from MacConnection (discounts
on multilicense packages).

Boris Levitin
WGBH Public Broadcasting, Boston                         boris@world.std.com
Audience & Marketing Research              wgbx!boris_levitin@athena.mit.edu
(The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily coincide
with those of my employer or anyone else.  The WGBH tag is for ID only.)