[comp.sys.mac.apps] Word crashing on IIfx

simoni@strat.Stanford.EDU (Richard Simoni) (11/25/90)

Hello,

I have recently upgraded my II to a IIfx, and can repeatedly crash the
machine.  Interestingly, I don't get the system bomb dialog; rather, the
screen goes wild, sort of like a tv with the vertical hold misadjusted.

To crash the machine, I do this:

1.  Run VersaCAD 2.1.2, do some zooming and panning around a drawing.

2.  Quit VersaCAD, run Microsoft Word 4.0.  Open a document, do a spelling
check.

3.  Close document.  This is the command that crashes the machine.

I'm running System 6.0.5 with no INITs.  If you know of any problems with
either VersaCAD or Word under an fx, I'd appreciate it if you could let me
know.

Thanks,

Rich Simoni
simoni@strat.stanford.edu

cmorgan@ooc.uva.nl (Chris Morgan/RIKS) (11/26/90)

simoni@strat.Stanford.EDU (Richard Simoni) writes:

>I have recently upgraded my II to a IIfx, and can repeatedly crash the
>machine.  Interestingly, I don't get the system bomb dialog; rather, the
>screen goes wild, sort of like a tv with the vertical hold misadjusted.
>To crash the machine, I do this:
>1.  Run VersaCAD 2.1.2, do some zooming and panning around a drawing.
>2.  Quit VersaCAD, run Microsoft Word 4.0.  Open a document, do a spelling
>check.
>3.  Close document.  This is the command that crashes the machine.

>I'm running System 6.0.5 with no INITs.  If you know of any problems with
>either VersaCAD or Word under an fx, I'd appreciate it if you could let me
>know.

I can do better than that. I have had several problems with 2 of my 4 MacIIfxs.
One will crash randomly and another will crash semi-randomly when I use MS-Word
4.0 - usually when scrolling. I've tried everything I can think of but can't
get the machines to run continuously for more than a few days.

On the one hane i'm convinced that theres a hardware issue hidden somewhere,
but since I have other MacIIfx machins which run perfectly i'm left a bit
confused !?!?!

Has anyone else noticed any problems with the IIfx ???  I think its a great
machine but my users are losing confidence in the Macs since one of the
probelmatic machines is a fileserver/mailserver/database server !!!

Any suggestions ???  Anything at all ???

Chris Morgan
cmorgan@ooc.uva.nl

arons@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Michael Arons) (11/27/90)

In article <16208@slice.ooc.uva.nl> cmorgan@ooc.uva.nl(Chris Morgan/RIKS)
writes:
>simoni@strat.Stanford.EDU (Richard Simoni) writes:
>
>>I have recently upgraded my II to a IIfx, and can repeatedly crash the
>>machine.
>I can do better than that. I have had several problems with 2 of my 4 MacIIfxs.
>One will crash randomly and another will crash semi-randomly when I use MS-Word
>4.0 - usually when scrolling. I've tried everything I can think of but can't
>get the machines to run continuously for more than a few days.

I've had intermittent crashing problems with my fx. I have seen some
correspondence on the net. One suggestion had to do with memory chips.
Someone claimed that some NEC chips were a problem and switching 4mB
banks stopped the crashes. I haven't checked that out. Another area
suggested the problem involves SCSI devices, termination and cable
length. Although, I only have an Apple scanner terminated with the
suggested black terminator, I have just disconnected it to see if
there is any effect. (Too soon to tell!). Finally, I think I read
somewhere about a potential Appletalk problem for some fxs. Mine is on
a small network with an Appleshare server.

Unfortunately, the whole thing has an aura of the "black arts". Very
mushy!

Michael Arons                     arons@sci.ccny.cuny.edu
Division of Science               arons@ccnysci.uucp
City College of New York         (212) 690 6850
                                  FAX (212) 690 6951

hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA (Brad Hedstrom) (11/28/90)

In article <16208@slice.ooc.uva.nl> cmorgan@ooc.uva.nl (Chris Morgan/RIKS) writes:
> Has anyone else noticed any problems with the IIfx ???  I think its a great
> machine but my users are losing confidence in the Macs since one of the
> probelmatic machines is a fileserver/mailserver/database server !!!

> Any suggestions ???  Anything at all ???

I'm on my second mother board. One day, my two month old IIfx wouldn't
boot. Wouldn't put nothin' on the screen. Wouldn't even make that
power-up "bing!" It's a real downer when "the machine that goes
'bing'" doesn't work. How can you impress anyone?

The new board is working great. I never found out anything about the
old board, though.
Brad Hedstrom, University of Victoria, ECE Dept.
Internet:  hedstrom@sirius.uvic.ca
UUCP:   ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!uvicctr!hedstrom

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov27.135152.12668@sci.ccny.cuny.edu>,
arons@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Michael Arons) writes...

>I've had intermittent crashing problems with my fx. I have seen some
>correspondence on the net. One suggestion had to do with memory chips.
>Someone claimed that some NEC chips were a problem and switching 4mB
>banks stopped the crashes.

The Mac 'expects' to see the faster chips in the first bank of simm
sockets.  Upgrade in matched set of 4 and there should be no memory
hassles.  There is probably nothing wrong with the NEC SIMMS -- they
were either faster or slower than those in the other bank.

Incidently, memory upgrades present a great opportunity to BUY AMERICAN.
My last memory purchase was for 70 ns SIMMS from Micron Technology --
for the SAME LOW PRICE (about $40/meg) as the foreign-made 80 ns
competition.  Let's keep these guys in business!

Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)