[comp.sys.mac.apps] word 4.0b: how to know?

bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) (11/27/90)

How can I tell if my copy of MS Word 4.0 is 4.0b?

I didn't see anything in the documentation.

BTW, I'm running a Mac II with too many inits to count +
system 6.0.5.

The problem that I'm running into is that every time I try
to launch MS word under the finder, it crashes.  Doesn't
even open up the untitled document.  The program works fine
under multifinder.  It's not a virus since I just used
disinfectant 2.3 and am running with the disinfectant init +
gatekeeper aid.

Thanks in advance,

Brad

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (11/27/90)

In article <0bIX=aq00UhWM0aIpY@andrew.cmu.edu> bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) writes:
>How can I tell if my copy of MS Word 4.0 is 4.0b?

Pull down "About Microsoft Word" under the Apple menu when running
Word. The display box will provide the information.

>I didn't see anything in the documentation.

The documentation is written for Word 4.00x, because Microsoft
can't predict how many different updates will be necessary
under any particular version of a program that they publish.

>BTW, I'm running a Mac II with too many inits to count +
>system 6.0.5.
>
>The problem that I'm running into is that every time I try
>to launch MS word under the finder, it crashes.  Doesn't
>even open up the untitled document.  The program works fine
>under multifinder.  It's not a virus since I just used
>disinfectant 2.3 and am running with the disinfectant init +
>gatekeeper aid.

Might try installing a new, fresh copy of Word onto your hard disk.
Sometimes, for mysterious reasons, a copy of a program will get
munged and it can be fixed by putting a new copy of the program
on the hard disk.

>Thanks in advance,

Good Luck.

--
X-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-X
X	           David Baird			xdab@midway.uchicago.edu      X

robertw@informix.com (Rob Weinberg) (11/28/90)

Also, don't forget that one of the chief causes of strange
behavior in WORD x.x is a munged Preferences file. Locate this
file in your system folder and trash it. WORD will build a
new one for you, and weird behaviors may disappear.

--
      Rob Weinberg                 Does a falling tree make a sound
{uunet,pyramid}!infmx!robertw      if  1: no one hears it

bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) (11/28/90)

OK ... I've checked and the version of word that I have is 4.0A

What path should I take to get 4.0B?

On 27-Nov-90 in Re: word 4.0b: how to know?
user David Baird@ellis.uchica writes:
>>How can I tell if my copy of MS Word 4.0 is 4.0b?
>
>Pull down "About Microsoft Word" under the Apple menu when running
>Word. The display box will provide the information.
>
>>I didn't see anything in the documentation.
>
>The documentation is written for Word 4.00x, because Microsoft
>can't predict how many different updates will be necessary
>under any particular version of a program that they publish.

Point taken.

>>BTW, I'm running a Mac II with too many inits to count +
>>system 6.0.5.
>>
>>The problem that I'm running into is that every time I try
>>to launch MS word under the finder, it crashes.  Doesn't
>>even open up the untitled document.  The program works fine
>>under multifinder.  It's not a virus since I just used
>>disinfectant 2.3 and am running with the disinfectant init +
>>gatekeeper aid.
>
>Might try installing a new, fresh copy of Word onto your hard disk.
>Sometimes, for mysterious reasons, a copy of a program will get
>munged and it can be fixed by putting a new copy of the program
>on the hard disk.

OK ... I'd still like to start using 4.0B though ...