[comp.sys.mac.apps] Screen Shooter!

a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (11/20/90)

In a message, <5064@rex.cs.tulane.edu>  writes:

>But I have seen snapshots of screen while a menu is selected
>from various software manuals. How it can be done? What is
>the command? I need this because I need to show people how
>to use a certain application before they can get on Mac,
>with the actual pictures showing what will be happenning
>when the application is launched.

Try Flashit, a keen little application DA that will allow you to decide whether
you want to show the cursor (or not) pointing to a selection on the pulled down
menu.
| Rick McCormack |  IMAGISTICS BUSINESS THEATRE TECHNOLOGY   |
| Vancouver,  BC |  Information transfer - with a purpose.   |
|     CANADA     | %INTERACTIVE %COMPREHENSIVE %ENLIGHTENING |
|________________|___________________________________________|

mt0lamg@convex1.tcs.tulane.edu (xuefeng li) (11/21/90)

I have a problem with the Built-in screen shooter on Mac.
The shooter is supposed to take a snapshot of the screen
and stores a picture of the screen on disk, when the keys
Command-Shift-3 are pressed.

It works for me except when I want to take a snapshot
of the screen while a pull-down menu is selected(without
releasing the mouse button). In that case, the snapshot
is simply a picture as if I didn't make a menu selection.

But I have seen snapshots of screen while a menu is selected
from various software manuals. How it can be done? What is
the command? I need this because I need to show people how
to use a certain application before they can get on Mac,
with the actual pictures showing what will be happenning
when the application is launched.

Thanks in advance.

mt0lamg@convex1.tcs.tulane.edu (xuefeng li) (11/25/90)

I have received several replies concerning the screen shooter.
I even got a copy of MenuPicture INIT which works great!
Thank all of those who care about my little problem!

Here are the suggestions for a snapshot of Mac screen while
a pull-down menu is selected:

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Try Flashit, a keen little application DA that will allow you to decide whether
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
There is a utility (actually a DA or CDEV, I think) called Camera,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Exposure Professional, a commercial program, is exactly what
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Use the following INIT called MenuPicture.  Simply put MenuPicture into your
System folder and reboot, then you'll be able to do exactly what you want.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Li

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (11/25/90)

Flashit is the best screen shooter I have found.  It can be activated
by any sequence of keys (i.e., pull down the menu, then while holding
the mouse, type flashit's key sequence, which you could temporarily
change to "a" or something simple, from the control panel).  Most
other color screen savers I have tried have bugs / problems, but not
this one.

yossie@fnal.fnal.gov (Yossie Silverman) (11/27/90)

SnapJot is my personal favorite.  It is pretty cheep (from MacConnection
et al..) and very useful.  You can choose which key combination will
capture the screen to any of: clipboard, printer, file, or new window on
screen.  The later option is real nice.  Basically a window pops up with
the contents of what you captured, directely over the captured image.  You
can move this window, or copy/print/file it.  You can have as many windows
as you like at once (and they stick around in multifinder).  You can
capture across multiple screens, in different depths.  The cursor, menu's,
etc.. are all capturable.  I've been using it a lot over the last month
and so far have found NO bugs in it.   Cheers - Yossie

P.s.  I have no connection to the author, aside from his being a friend
and co-worker :-)  I *definitely* make no money off of plugging his
products.

---

yossie@fnal.fnal.gov; yossie@fnccf.bitnet
What did the Caspian Sea? - Saki

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (11/29/90)

There are several shareware/freeware screen capture programs available
from infomac, et al.

Flash-it
ScreenSnap
Screen-Dump
Camera
FKEY9
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =