[comp.sys.mac.apps] MathType <-> Word FKEY

kt@msor.msor (Keith Tizzard) (11/28/90)

I obtained from the net a copy of an FKEY which adjusts formulae created
in MathType when they are pasted into a Word document.  It was produced
by Andreas Gulzow of Taliesin Software but I do not have an email address.

This works very well but leaves a small problem.

I have a 5 by 5 matrix set up in MathType.  When it is pasted into Word
it sits on the line and the FKEY subscripts the graphic which represents
the matrix by (in this case) 27 points.  Everything looks ok except that
there is a large gap between the top of the matrix and the line above.
It seems that Word should be able to adjust it but it does not.

An alternative would be for the rest of the line (i.e. other that the
graphic containing the matrix) to be superscripted by 27 points.  Is there
(or could there be) another FKEY which would carry this out?  The user
could then choose whether to drop the maths or raise the rest of the line.

--
Keith Tizzard
MSOR Dept, University of Exeter, Streatham Court, EXETER EX4 4PU, UK

phil@waikato.ac.nz (11/30/90)

In article <1078@exua.exeter.ac.uk>, kt@msor.msor (Keith Tizzard) writes:

> I have a 5 by 5 matrix set up in MathType.  When it is pasted into Word
> it sits on the line and the FKEY subscripts the graphic which represents
> the matrix by (in this case) 27 points.  Everything looks ok except that
> there is a large gap between the top of the matrix and the line above.
> It seems that Word should be able to adjust it but it does not.

Isn't an object that large too big to be putting in the middle of a body of
text, even if the lines were adjusted correctly?  I think you can manually
adjust line spacing in Word, BTW (but don't ask me exactly how -- I'll leave
that for someone who uses it regularly).  It would be more visually appealing
if you could rewrite your document so that the large constructions like
matrices come in a "display", between to blocks of text (see example below)

                         This is a displayed item
               They are usually centred but can be left-adjusted
              They are good for large expressions, diagrams, etc.

> An alternative would be for the rest of the line (i.e. other that the
> graphic containing the matrix) to be superscripted by 27 points.  Is there
> (or could there be) another FKEY which would carry this out?  The user
> could then choose whether to drop the maths or raise the rest of the line.

For the number of times you'd need to do it that way, you could do it
manually...  but the problem is that if you change anything in that paragraph,
the line wrapping changes, and your superscripted text is in the wrong place.
It's better to make formatting changes to the applicable character or whatever,
so that the formatting "sticks" to it.
--
Phil Etheridge (phil@waikato.ac.nz)                 /\  /\   -+-,--, .--, ._
Computer Services/Mathematics & Statistics         /  \/  \  / /--< /--  /

hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) (11/30/90)

I am also a quite new user to Nisus who learned about nisus from a free
demo disk. But this convinced me to buy it.

Nisus is one of the few wordprocessors who actually use the baseline
offset  that programs like Expressionist and MathType supply. And I
think Nisus will solve your problem.

I am a customer of Nisus, and very satisfied. I can only recommend the
package, even though I found a small bugrecently. But this can easily be
worked around. If you want a demo then mail jon, his address is floating
around quite much in the moment.

Povl H. Pedersen             hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu
HP48sx archive maintainer